shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on a particular diamond

heb80

Rough_Rock
I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger but am looking for opinions on a particular diamond. I'm looking to put this into the Vatche Grace setting.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2645102.htm

Any thoughts? A friend told me I should consider sacrificing clarity down to VS2-SI1 for a bump in color, but WF's inventory is very limited.

I've learned quite a bit from this forum. Thanks everyone for the education.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
it looks very nice!

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
heb80|1317775271|3033432 said:
[...] A friend told me I should consider sacrificing clarity down to VS2-SI1 for a bump in color, but WF's inventory is very limited. [...]

Sure, you could sacrifice on clarity but S11 and maybe VS2, you'll have to confirm that the diamond is eyeclean to your standard. You're right, limited selection doesn't help. You could gain in both color (if you're color sensitive and that's important to you), but it will probably be only one or two color grades. You could also gain in size (but will probably have to stay with an H or even go to an I).

It really comes down to your priorities. The one you picked seems pretty good. For the price, too.

heb80

Rough_Rock
I entered the measurements into the HCA tool and it gets a 2.3. Is it best to find something that scores below 2? Or is close to 2 good enough?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
IS/ASET images tells you more than HCA and the IS/ASET look great. remember the HCA only takes into account 4 numbers while the IS/ASET are actual pictures of the diamond.

heb80

Rough_Rock
slg47|1317824132|3033814 said:
IS/ASET images tells you more than HCA and the IS/ASET look great. remember the HCA only takes into account 4 numbers while the IS/ASET are actual pictures of the diamond.

So the HCA can be over-ruled by the IS/ASET images? Is it possible for an ideal diamond w/ 2.3 HCA to have better images than an ideal diamond w/ 1.3 HCA? And if so, do the better images mean a better performer?

Does anyone have insight into what is lacking in this particular diamond that prevented it from being an ACA? WF's website says many "expert selection" diamonds narrowly missed the ACA designation. My amatuer eyes see some minor lacking symetry in the images but no major issues.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
heb80|1317825448|3033824 said:
slg47|1317824132|3033814 said:

So the HCA can be over-ruled by the IS/ASET images? Is it possible for an ideal diamond w/ 2.3 HCA to have better images than an ideal diamond w/ 1.3 HCA? sure, we see it often enough. As slg said - those 4 inputs are taken from the report, and numbers on the report are averaged around eight sections of diamond and then if GIA roundedAnd if so, do the better images mean a better performer? sometimes, sometimes they just mean "different performer". Depends on the stones in question.

Does anyone have insight into what is lacking in this particular diamond that prevented it from being an ACA? WF's website says many "expert selection" diamonds narrowly missed the ACA designation. My amatuer eyes see some minor lacking symetry in the images but no major issues.ACA brand requires high (radial) optical symmetry that can be seen most easily in hearts photos, and also requires proportions to fall within certain tight constraints, this stone may be out of the proportions range needed or may have slight optical asymmetries

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results