shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed on a stone please :o)

nelly81

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some final expert advice on another post I made some weeks back. I also tried sometime last week but had to give up with the email issues on pricescope as my password was not working and have had to create another account!!!

As I mentioned, I am desperate for feedback re the quality of the stone (for the price) and idealscope opinions as I have not viewed this stone (only the attached GIA cert and not an idealscope image).

Based on the 3 stones I posted, I think the 1.5 si1 looks the best .

Can I please get your final thoughts on this stone? Final price Is $17100? Your thoughts on the specs and quality of stone for the price would be greatly appreciated as I am so confused!! The specs and cert are attached on a previous post- please let me know if I need to reattach. I am unsure about the inclusions and general cut etc of the stone. Feedback would be great!!

I will have to purchase the stone sight unseen but the seller has a full refund policy that I comfortable with.

I have no idealscope images. Should I request this? The seller said based on the triple ex gia cert, sparkle and brilliance will not be an issue? He says viewing the diamond in person is better than an idealscope image? Is that right? I am concerned I don't what good sparkle and brilliance is in real life as I dont know what to look for? should I demand it? Your thoughts please? It seems like he is unable to obtain an idealscope image from the supplier? Is this unusual? Is viewing in person the best way to see it?

Is there anything else I should be considering or asking for?
Is there anything better around that you would recommend?

Also, can anyone recommend a good Melbourne Australia independent invaluator who can independently assess the stone? there is a 2 week refund policy so I plan to get it assessed in that time to see it all checks out? But I am not sure that the assessment will consider idealscope reflections etc.

Desperately seeking help!! Apparently the stone will be ready for pickup next week so my query is urgent!!!

Thanks in advance for eveyones help - I can see the advice provided on this webiste helps so many people!! Greatly appreciated considering the investment!!!

Thanks again!!!
Vanessa

Attachments

• 1.5 F SI1 only.pdf
    430.1 KB · Views: 71

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Any photos? Seems ok to me on paper.

nelly81

Rough_Rock
Hi there,
I should have asked below, is there any advice on the best way for an amateur to inspect a stone? i.e, lighting conditions? etc?
Thanks!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i don't like flat top 13.5% with a deep bottom of 43.5%. that just me... :wacko:

nelly81

Rough_Rock
Hi there,
I dont have any photos or idealscope images? The supplier thinks that it is best to look at the stone in person although I am not sure if I should demand pics but i dont think he can obtain them? What do you think?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
many jewelers do not provide idealscope images. if the jeweler can though i would request it...it is just extra information to help you make an informed decision. the numbers look good though!

I would recommend looking at it in different lighting conditions (try something away from the jewelry store spotlighting) and also scrutinize to make sure it is eye-clean to your standards.

nelly81

Rough_Rock
Hi there,
I have never reveiewed that measurement. Does that cut impact the way the diamond looks?
Does that have something to do with the table/ pavilion/ crown angle?

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
[I have no idealscope images. Should I request this?

Yes, if you can. All information is valuable before making a large purchase sight unseen, in my opinion.

He says viewing the diamond in person is better than an idealscope image? Is that right?

Yes. Seeing anything in person will always provide a more accurate impression than its image. Especially for diamonds. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't check out the Idealscope image. I don't like the fact that the dealer steered you away from looking at the images.

I am concerned I don't what good sparkle and brilliance is in real life as I dont know what to look for?

Go to a jewelry store and look at 1.5 carat stones of different grades. It will be obvious.

Is there anything else I should be considering or asking for?
Is there anything better around that you would recommend?

You've got lots of inclusions listed on the GIA report. Too many to make me feel comfortable to make such a purchase sight unseen. Could you speak to a gemologist on the phone as they examine the stone? Ask if is is eye clean.

Also, I don't how to interpret the cavity on the GIA report. Someone else on here will know.

I personally think you could do better. Not that I'm advocating for costco.com, but I like to use them as a benchmark of sorts. They have a 1.55 ctw, VS1, H color, GIA graded diamond set in a platinum band for 16,500. It actually has a smaller face up size than yours, but it's an opportunity to see what else is out there for about the same cost.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
When you look at the stone , be sure to go outside as well.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Use the HCA tool under the tools tab to determine cut quality. Also use the search feature to put in the specs of the stone you are looking at and see the comparable prices to determine if you have a good deal.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Nelly, I know you asked for me to pop in so here I am. I would definitely run the numbers of the diamond through the HCA https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca It's pass/ fail so any score under 2 is good.

Can you buy an Ideal Scope? They aren't that pricey and I know they are sold in Australia. If you can get one and educate yourself on how to view the information it gives you, I think that's your best shot.

I do think that viewing a stone in person is a great idea. But the truth is, the adrenaline is up, your eye is not used to looking at diamonds, and you can't view it in all angles in all possible light conditions in the half hour you have to view the gem. And it's a GIA EX/EX so it will be pretty. But is it the best you can do for your money... well, I think to determine that you need a tool to help you. An Idealscope will let you know if there is leakage and will let you make an informed decision in person.

Hope this helps!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results