shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice Needed from Chicago PSers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wyndham

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,
I am having a fall wedding in Chicago, and it will be a destination wedding for about 70% of our guest list. In starting to think about our out of town gift bags, I thought it would be fun to do a few things that are quintessentially Chicago. The problem is, a lot of my ideas only work if people are local -- i.e. a gift certificate to the original Uno''s, Cubs tickets, etc. Do any of you have suggestions for gift bag items that are reflective of Chicago but aren''t too bulky? Since most people are flying in/out I would hate to waste money on things that might be thrown out or left behind! I''m looking to spend under $30/bag, including the bag.

Thanks!

wyndham

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a photo of the tote bag I''m considering (from maptotes) -- I like it but I don''t LOVE it...

Thanks!

chicago.jpg

Barcelona

Shiny_Rock
Wrigley's, Cracker Jack, Famous Amos, Jay's, Lemonheads, and a number of other candies are produced in Chicago.

wyndham

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 6:11:54 PM
Author: Barcelona
Wrigley''s, Cracker Jack, Famous Amos, Jay''s, Lemonheads, and a number of other candies are produced in Chicago.
Thanks Barcelona, I didn''t know about anything besides Wrigley''s!! Do you know of any beverages that are produced there?

Thanks!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
We put really generic stuff in ours that you could do too - a postcard, a city-themed pen or pencil, a useable map, a couple of brochures for places within walking distance and then we did a snack - bottle of water and there's this amazing local popcorn shop, so we added a small bag of kettle corn from there.

Every time I'm in Chicago, people are standing around the block at that one popcorn place - maybe that's an idea you can use too? Ohhh, maybe bottles of 312 (if the recipients are of age?). Hmmm..will keep thinking..

ETA: What about a disposable camera? Not chicago themed, but a good thing to add in the bag :)

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
What about a gift certificate to Lou Malnati's or Portillo's? Both are in Chicago only but you can ship the food anywhere. Or how about some Chicago postcards. We were given that as the favor from a wedding we attended in the city.

Another question: are the OOT guests going to be spending more time in the city than just for your wedding? Like are they coming in a day early or staying a day late? They could possibly use the gift certificate while they are there. Or if they are staying for another day or 2 why not give them tickets to Museum of Science & Industry?

If you are really set on giving Chicago related things but you are worried a guest wouldn't use a gift certificate, I would say it might be better to do something along the lines of souvenir type items. I'll try and think of more things, my mind is going blank right now.

ETA: Other posters gave me idea's...

Garret's Popcorn
Anything made by Wrigley
Ferrara Pan candy
Mike Ditka wine
Mike Ditka cigars

wyndham

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much, these are really great ideas!

Blair, to answer your question -- most people will be coming in Friday afternoon/evening or Saturday morning for a Saturday night wedding...so they''ll have some time in the city but not a ton. I really like the idea of Museum tickets...do you know if any of the museums downtown have discounted group tickets?

Thanks all, keep the suggestions coming!

Barcelona

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Barcelona, I didn''t know about anything besides Wrigley''s!! Do you know of any beverages that are produced there?

Thanks!

Goose Island.

If you contact the Visitor''s Center you can also get maps and city guides.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Considering that these are OOT guests, I wouldn''t straddle them with gift cards...sure its thoughtful, but most people plan out their time and may not have the extra room to fit in a baseball game or dinner out.

I would find a great Chicago winery and have a bottle of local wine made..

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 6:21:28 PM
Author: wyndham
Thank you all so much, these are really great ideas!

Blair, to answer your question -- most people will be coming in Friday afternoon/evening or Saturday morning for a Saturday night wedding...so they''ll have some time in the city but not a ton. I really like the idea of Museum tickets...do you know if any of the museums downtown have discounted group tickets?

Thanks all, keep the suggestions coming!

Museum of Science and Industry does for groups of 20 or more. The info is here

Morgie44

Brilliant_Rock
Frango Mints, Jay's Potato Chips, Goose Island Beer depending on your crowd. Maybe if you wanted to do something gift certificate-y a weekend CTA pass and a map ior nfo for the trip planner? If you are in the loop or Michigan ave areas, it is very easy for tourists to use the buses up and down Michigan to all of the main tourist attractions. Or a gift certificate for Garrett's, since they are everywhere and it is best fresh too! If you do a lot of Chicago-type foods, I would also add a sheet that explains why you chose what you did, because I have heard of girls doing this and their guests didn't really get the Chicago flair of their foods.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Goose Island, Berghoff for roobeer,

Also anything from Ferrara Pan (atomic fireballs, etc). Wrigley, Frango

Garrett Popcorn (very chicago-y) although I''ve never had any myself.

I''d also try to get those vintage Chicago travel posters/world fair posters put on postcards.

If you''re doing water bottles you can "dress" them up with Cubs/Sox ribbons. (even though the Sox won a WS title and the Cubs....) Ha ha j/k, I''m not a Cubs hater. Or dress it up with a Bears ribbon

There''s some cute Chicago neighborhood prints, maybe you can get them printed onto a bag.

Try a 2 day CTA pass. I''m not sure how much that costs, but that can get them around town for your wedding which I''m sure they''ll appreciate.

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock
I lived in Chicago for a bit, and I think the CTA pass is a wonderful idea! Garretts is so yummy! I think a map would be a great idea if they aren''t familiar with the area!

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock
The Field Museum website has a cool skyline tote bag, but its nearly your whole budget at $24 a piece.

This one I pictured below is priced at $12.75 at www.greatplacestoyou.com and I think its kind of cute.

chicagototebag123.jpg

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock
Or this one is $14.99 at CafePress

chicagotote123456.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results