shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice Needed | Elongated Cushion and Setting

Young-Buck

Rough_Rock
Hello Price Scope community,

I am here seeking advice on my current journey for a specific diamond and setting. Any help is appreciated and graciously thank you in advance.

First, a little about me, I am marrying my college sweetheart and seeking the perfect ring to solidify my devotion to her. We are young-professionals, myself a business strategist and she's a lovely teacher for 30 2nd graders. To keep it short, we're young and very much in love.

Currently, I am seeking an elongated cushion cut diamond, and for the setting, halo with a single shank pave on the bolder side -- not delicate. I was referred to a reputable jeweler in the area (non-commercialized) and has quoted ~$3,500 for the setting and ~$6,600 for a 1.2ct diamond[*]. I've attached a few images for examination. :ugeek:

My questions/concerns:
1. Is the band a reasonable price? She stated a little customization will be needed and will match the halo/pave stone quality with diamond quality -- Platinum chunky single pave and halo
2. The diamond price seems to be high for the specs -- GIA, H, SI1,1.20CT
3. Thoughts about buying stone elsewhere and purchasing setting through jeweler?
4. Thoughts/feedback?

Pictures:
I will be taking the halo from top ring and band from the one directly below.

img_3931.jpeg

img_3930.jpeg

img_3925.jpeg

screen_shot_2016-11-29_at_8.png

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Most B&M stores you're going to pay a premium for a ring. Nothing wrong with going that route though! Hard to tell about the stone from the pics but a LOT of cushions are real duds so an ASET is really handy when choosing a cushion as well as someone that is experienced in choosing a nice cushion. (several members here are pretty awesome at picking)

As far as price comparison, JA has a similar setting:

Platinum $2160
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-band-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-item-49498

and with this 1.23ct F VS1 stone (which i think is pretty lovely but i'm NOT a pro, just eyeballing!) for $6920 (same surface area on this compared to the other one)
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.23-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-2238705

you come in at $9080 which is just over $1k less than the B&M place.

buying a loose stone and having your jeweler set it is definitely an option too if you love the setting. lots of options available to you if you decide to purchase online. is that the exact setting you would get?

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
Don't buy that stone. It has crystals under the table - they will likely be very visible. I'll leave it to the pro's to find you alternative stones, you you can do WAY better than this stone for that price or only slightly more.

Also, agree with PP re B&M's. In general, just don't buy from them. Buy your own stone and have it shipped to whomever is making the setting. You will get better quality for your budget!

Young-Buck

Rough_Rock
Thank you dazzlerazzle & farrahlyn very much! I truly appreciate the feedback. Diamond pro's, any suggestions on an elongated cushion diamond? I am flexible on my budget, but wanted to stay under $8k if possible with the stone.

farrahlyn - this is not the exact setting, but it will be an hybrid of the two.

I am extremely torn if I should buy the stone online, but look likes it will be the best bang for your buck! Hard to pull the trigger on something smaller than my finger nail AND it has no engine!! :wall:

Again, thank for pointing me in the right direction!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results