shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed 2c diamond w cloud

foxontherun

Rough_Rock
My husband and I have been looking at 2carat-ish diamond for our 35th anniversary. I have a 1.75 carat oval that is VS2 H and am very happy with the combination, so we've been looking in that range. We know a private party who has a diamond he wants to sell (local person), it was EGL (VS2 G) rated and we told him we needed it to be GIA or ACS before we'd even consider it and of course we'd have a jeweler inspect/match/confirm all this before we bought it. He had the GIA done, the diamond is 2.18 SI H Good/Good No Flr. Culet V.Small There is a small feather at the outer rim of the diamond but there is a cloud near the center. Is this a diamond we should stay away from bc it's a "cloud" vs. other kinds of inclusions, or should we consider this if the price is right? I really wanted to stay away from S1 stones, but am willing to consider it if the price was right. I was going to set it in a plain platinum cathederal band or a Eurpoean style square bottom ring. I appreciate any advice you can give me. Many thanks Marilyn

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would stay away. We lean towards ideal and excellent cut stones on this forum, because we have discovered that they have the best light return and overall beauty. I'd screen diamonds by looking only at the GIA Excellent cut grades and AGS Ideal cut. Ironically, I came here 5 years ago looking for a diamond for our 30th and have been here ever since! After looking extensively locally, I found that I could not match the price and quality of some of the vendors I learned about here. Unfortunately, timing-wise, diamonds have recently gone up a lot, so there would be some appeal to buying second hand. But after learning about cut quality, I just wouldn't be able to settle for a less than excellent cut stone. I also prefer to stay in the VS range. I do need to say that even within GIA Excellent, some stones are much better than others, so I'd recommend coming back here again for advice before purchasing one of those. There is a ton of information in the Knowledge section of the forum, but we will always be here to look at the numbers (diamond measurements) for you if you'd like to post them!

foxontherun

Rough_Rock
Here is the GIA diagram. Thanks, M

diamond1.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto, going to look dead compared to a well cut stone even if the clarity is eye-clean and cloud not affecting the light return.

foxontherun

Rough_Rock
THANK YOU! That is EXACTLY what I wanted to know. It's not a bargain if I spend $$ to set it and it looks dead in the water. We aren't loaded, so a 20k purchase it a lot of money, I want it to look every bit of 20k when I wear it.

foxontherun

Rough_Rock
You guys are awesome, this is just the advice I needed!

donblaximus

Rough_Rock
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It doesnt get much better than that. But 32k is far from 20k

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
donblaximus|1307580738|2941176 said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It doesnt get much better than that. But 32k is far from 20k

Very true and so sad but 20k is not realistic for a two carat stone in todays market - not with ideal specifications in this color and clarity range.

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What about investigating a re-cut? If the price is right and it can be cut to near ideal proportions without losing a lot of weight... it could be a good deal?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kimmy|1307590879|2941334 said:
What about investigating a re-cut? If the price is right and it can be cut to near ideal proportions without losing a lot of weight... it could be a good deal?
this one will lose a lot of weight.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I saw the GIA report posted and the proportions I said "eek!" It really is not well cut and for 20k I would personally want much better.

So have you gone to a store and looked at diamonds of varying colors? If I had 20k and wanted a 2ct stone I would personally consider something like this:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104049675004

The cut is perfect, and the flour would make the stone look more colorless in most lighting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results