shape
carat
color
clarity

advice for settings for diamond earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nycguy

Rough_Rock
i have the diamonds, but need to get them in a platinum setting - any suggestions of very nice setting options for earrings? they are about .3 ct each, and i would like something simple, but pretty.

any pics would be great!!! thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It really is a personal preference. Do you or your intended like bezel..the thin round metal look? If so,go for those, they make the stones look bigger..extra perk. Or do you want to be able to achieve the maximum look of the stone, set it into a prong set or a basket head. Prong set will be higher, personally I had a pair like this and they drove me nuts, they kept falling against my ears. Now I have basket set and they are much more flattering to the earring, set closer to my earlobe itself.

BTW I would also advise going white gold over platinum for something such as earrings unless you have a particular reason for plat (e.g. white gold allergy). Reason being is that sometimes the settings can be more pricey in plat for no particular extra benefit. But if you can get them for the same price, then go for it.

Search online for earring settings, you'll get alot of hits. I would prefer basket setting personally...having had both. Bezel is not as classic as the regular basket 4 prong setting in my opinion.

Good luck!

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
I've only been able to find pics of the standard prong settings. Does anyone have a pic of the basket setting for earrings please?

Thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
4 prong basket setting.

earring2aa.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
4 prong setting...notice how they sit higher up on the ear...the basket DOES sit closer to the ear than the prong.

prongset.jpg

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
Thank you Mara! I like the basket setting.

Have you heard of the scroll setting by any chance? Was wondering how well the scroll setting sits on one's ear as compared to the basket setting.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I have Van Graffs set in 14K White Gold Scroll mountings. They sit pretty close to the ear.
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Eeeewww! I've seen those. The scroll ones. They are gorgeous. Much like basket with an added touch of class with the scroll work on the sides instead of the rail.
love.gif
Mine are basket style, like Mara's pic, only I have locking backs instead of the screw style. Locking backs have a pinch type mechanism that sets down into the groove on the stud and they don't come off. They're a bit hard to line up when putting them on, pinching the back and lining up the hole with the post, but once they're on, they are on.
1.gif

nycguy

Rough_Rock
thanks for all the replies. i think i like the basket setting best as well. i'd be interested in seeing the one mentioned with a scroll.... anyone know where pics of that are?
also - the setting needs to be platinu because of a white gold allergy.

thanks again.

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
This is the scroll setting - couldn't find any with diamonds though!

It's a lovely setting - simple and elegant, with slightly more detail than the basket setting.

scroll garnet earrings.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results