shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for a Beginner

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chukcha

Rough_Rock
I am seriously considering buying a stone off the web and have a few questions:
1. Is www.diamondcutters.com a reliable/safe business?
2. Is going to a random jeweler on Washington St in Boston to get the stone appraised a good idea?
3. How much should I expect to pay for an appraisal?
4. I plan to buy a setting from a jeweler and have that store set the stone. Should I at all worry a/b the store switching the stone?
5. Should I expect to be charged for having the stone set if I buy the setting from that store?
Thanks in advance for the help.
This is a great site and, from reading some of the entries on this board, a wonderful community. Congratulations!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Ah, I love St. Petersburg. Have been there 3 times: A.S.Pushkin, Fontanka, Ermitage, Petergof... like in another life...
smile.gif
Well, there is certain risk of chipping especially if you have prong setting and very thin part of the girdle is under a prong. There is less risk if you have besel settings.Discuss this problem with the jeweler who'll do the setting. Since you are going to order setting from another jeweler than sell you a diamond, make sure that your diamond is ensured - if something happens with the diamond jeweler usually doesn't compensate you if you bought diamond elsewhere.

bacon

Rough_Rock
How rough will the diamond be worn? A very thin girdle and shallow crown angle are a combo for trouble. Talk about who is taking the risk. Ya can't expect someone to take thousands of dollars in risk for a few bucks profit on a mounting and setting charge.

Chukcha

Rough_Rock
Leonid,
Thanks a lot for your response. I have another quick question. I read on your site that if the girdle on the stone is too thin, the diamond may chip/break. I found a diamond that I like, but it has a "very thin" girdle. Is chipping/breaking a real concern or simply a theoretical one? Thanks again for all of your help. -Chukcha
P.S. I am actually from St. Petersburg.
wink.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Chukcha
smile.gif
Your name sounds very familiar... Are you from Chukotka?
smile.gif
[FONT=Verdana,]quote:[/FONT]
Originally posted by Chukcha:
1. Is www.diamondcutters.com a reliable/safe business?
The site has been there for at least two years. I've not heard any feedback though. I guess if you are paying with credit card you have certain degree of protection.
2. Is going to a random jeweler on Washington St in Boston to get the stone appraised a good idea?
If you need an appraisal only for insurance then any accredited appraiser will do.If you want independent opinion on the diamond you bought online, you'd better deal with independent professional. Try Martin Haske, Brookline, MA, http://www.gis.net/~adamas/

3. How much should I expect to pay for an appraisal?
Depending of amount of work, time and required information it can be from about $30-50 and higher.
4. I plan to buy a setting from a jeweler and have that store set the stone. Should I at all worry a/b the store switching the stone?
check this thread about switching: http://www.pricescope.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000117.html There are few simple things like plot of inclusions to identify your diamond though.

Lynnell

Rough_Rock
Chukcha- I am considering a stone from www.diamondcutters.com as well. Did you end up going with them? Do you reccomend them?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results