shape
carat
color
clarity

Adventures in metalsmithing

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think you will buy the tools and continue to work at home?

the top 3 photos are from me working in my living room :lol-2: i've bought a bunch of the small tools (files, saw, bench pin, etc) but not the the "big guns" yet (flexshaft, chemicals/compounds, torch, bench, etc) ...i think in the next few months i will b/c i find myself wanting to make more stuff between class sessions :mrgreen:

hubby gifted me 4 classes so 3 more to play with. the instructor recommended casting next and i want to take stonesetting. would love to hear what skills you've found most useful!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think sawing and filing skills are very important. And neatness! When I look at some of my first pieces, I kinda cringe because they are so sloppy!:eek2:
And controlling the heat so your pieces don't jump away when you apply the flame. But these things you will discover as you go along.
I recommend commandeering a special room just for jewelry making. A place where you don't have to worry about making a mess, or cleaning up.
My bench (DH made it for me) is in a spare bedroom. In fact, we have 3 spare bedrooms and all of them are art spaces! DH is a photographer/artist, and I was a former illustrator, in another life! We are just weird art people. :lol:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think sawing and filing skills are very important. And neatness! When I look at some of my first pieces, I kinda cringe because they are so sloppy!:eek2:
And controlling the heat so your pieces don't jump away when you apply the flame. But these things you will discover as you go along.
I recommend commandeering a special room just for jewelry making. A place where you don't have to worry about making a mess, or cleaning up.
My bench (DH made it for me) is in a spare bedroom. In fact, we have 3 spare bedrooms and all of them are art spaces! DH is a photographer/artist, and I was a former illustrator, in another life! We are just weird art people. :lol:

My kind of people! I have an art room and my husband started making soap this year so we spend a lit of time on weird hobbies. :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2: thanks for the advice!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My kind of people! I have an art room and my husband started making soap this year so we spend a lit of time on weird hobbies. :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2: thanks for the advice!
Ooh! Homemade soap! Lucky you!
I discovered artisan soap 10 years ago at a local art market, and I can't live without it. My soapmaker uses herbs/spices in his formulas. My two favorites are mint and clove.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! Seeing this makes me want to learn! :D Please continue updating us, I love seeing your progress.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Seeing this makes me want to learn! :D Please continue updating us, I love seeing your progress.

Thank you! I was about to buy a silver toggle bracelet over the holidays so it is pretty satisfying to have one that I made myself :D

The instructor is easy going with letting us experiment and I've been so impressed with the stuff other people have been making....i need to get some pics of their stuff.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i've been working on a necklace & pendant and because i love multifunctional jewelry i'm trying to make it so it can be worn in multiple ways.

handmade chain with graduating links. i'm struggling with what to use as a connector...any opinions?
options: a typical "s" connector, a toggle, or this funky flowery looking thing i made that the links can hook onto.

the idea is that it can be worn with the small links in front or the large links in front. also working on a bezel pendant that can be hooked on to the small side or another chain if desired. the whole thing will be oxidized silver and the stone in the pendant will be a red garnet so....hoping it comes together ok but right now looking iffy!

Photo of the in progress pieces.... 15539604614385463909766962870379.jpg

I'm thinking I should give up on "creative" connectors and go with a good ol' toggle. Any other ideas? o_O:mrgreen2:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, they’re just brilliant.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, they’re just brilliant.
thank you so much! i get impatient with myself for not being able to execute everything that's in my head just yet and sometimes i have to take a breath and remind myself it's coming along.... thanks for that. =)

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20190404_125158.jpg

Finally finished this garnet bezel pendant and chain. I was experimenting with multifunctionality so the pendant is removable and the links are graduated and there are two removable clasps

20190404_125013.jpg

Meant to also be able to wrap as a bracelet (i have big wrists though so I can't wear it that way)

20190404_125214.jpg

Curlique clasp can be worn as a pendant or combined with the garnet.

20190404_125232.jpg

Also made coin cutout earrings and reticulated silver bar earrings which still need their wires (excuse the pink on the metal, I'm wearing red today)

20190404_125244.jpg

Have a few more class sessions to go and no idea what to make next!

Attachments

• 20190404_124424.jpg
    20190404_124424.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 16

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Amazing job! How long did it take you to finish the necklace?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing job! How long did it take you to finish the necklace?

Aw, thank you! :kiss2: It took ~8-10 hours spread out over multiple classes. Took a looong time to get the bezel right. I think it would go faster in the future and I'm guessing an experienced jeweler could do this in no more than an hour.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well not metalsmithing but along the same DIY line....my latest little creation!

Faberge inspired Easter bracelet made with:
1 ft gold fill chain
1 pack of gold fill jump rings
1 gold fill toggle clasp
5 egg charms
and a couple of pairs of craft pliers

Inspiration:

faberge charm bracelet (2).JPG

Supplies:
P1030731 (2).JPG

Final result:

P1030760 (2).JPG 20190320_143659.jpg 20190320_143805.jpg 20190320_143754.jpg

I wanted the proportions to be pretty close to the inspiration but the charms are larger/heavier so will be swapping out the chain with something thicker. Took maybe an hour to assemble.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would purchase everything you've made so far so hurry up and open your etsy shop.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would purchase everything you've made so far so hurry up and open your etsy shop.

:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

That made my day! Hoping to add jewelry to my studio work and get a new site up in the next few months. Need some more skills and tools first. =)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well not metalsmithing but along the same DIY line....my latest little creation!

Faberge inspired Easter bracelet made with:
1 ft gold fill chain
1 pack of gold fill jump rings
1 gold fill toggle clasp
5 egg charms
and a couple of pairs of craft pliers

Inspiration:

faberge charm bracelet (2).JPG

Supplies:
P1030731 (2).JPG

Final result:

P1030760 (2).JPG 20190320_143659.jpg 20190320_143805.jpg 20190320_143754.jpg

I wanted the proportions to be pretty close to the inspiration but the charms are larger/heavier so will be swapping out the chain with something thicker. Took maybe an hour to assemble.

@bludiva your work is beautiful and impressive. And so cool. :love:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So cool you can create your own pieces! I'm really impressed!!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! It turned out great!
Girl, you are hooked, just like me!
I cannot buy a piece of jewelry without first wondering if I can make it myself.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I like your egg charms more than the inspiration picture’s.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! It turned out great!
Girl, you are hooked, just like me!
I cannot buy a piece of jewelry without first wondering if I can make it myself.

the addiction is real......and bad for my wallet!

I like your egg charms more than the inspiration picture’s.

thank you! i think they're fun =) they were made by a jeweler out of israel named keren kopal who sells a lot of enamel work.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's very cool all of your pieces are great!!! My brother in law just made an engagement ring and two wedding bands from scratch (he had never made any jewellery before now) for his son and new daughter in law. He is much braver than I would be my only skills are sawing stones out of rings and ripping things apart. :lol:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's very cool all of your pieces are great!!! My brother in law just made an engagement ring and two wedding bands from scratch (he had never made any jewellery before now) for his son and new daughter in law. He is much braver than I would be my only skills are sawing stones out of rings and ripping things apart. :lol:

ripping things apart is an important skill! :mrgreen2: that is awesome about your brother in law, wow! what a fabulous gift to the couple. there is a studio in my town that does ring workshops for couples, you do a one day class and make your own wedding bands, which is such a sweet idea.

and thank you!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dude! This is awesome! :appl:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend of mine adked me to make her a fidget ring... i soldered two rose gold fill rings together and wrapped the silver wire for a faux tri-wire with hematite beads. Only the middle one is spinning as intended though, smaller wire or bigger beads next time!

20190502_102329.jpg 20190502_125332.jpg

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh that’s fun!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@bludiva just a word of warning - you may go from a hobbyist to trade without even realizing it. That's what happened to me :lol::saint::whistle:

Lololol i know I'm trying to take it slow because I need to spend some real money on tools as a next step and I'll have to start selling things to fund the hobby. I call the classes my "happy fun time" :mrgreen2::mrgreen2::mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results