shape
carat
color
clarity

Advantix question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SarFarSuperstar

Shiny_Rock
I have a 4 month old Labradoodle and we''ve given him Advantix twice this summer. He''s up-to-date on his Lyme vaccines and everything else. We did find a tick on him this summer which was GROSS! My question is: how many people use flea and tick products? Do you view them as absolutely necessary? My fiance is really not into the whole putting pesticides on our dog thing (I''m not crazy about having it all over my hands- even though I wash profusely). Just wanted some thoughts and opinions on flea/tick meds!

Thanks!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i personally don''t believe in subjecting cats to these products....they are something i certainly wouldn''t want on my skin so i don''t use it on theirs. would feel the same if i had a dog/s.

movie zombie

SarFarSuperstar

Shiny_Rock
MZ: Have you had any flea or tick issues? I just worry about him because we''re very active outdoors (camping, hiking, etc.) and I don''t want him to get sick, but this product just seems kind of icky and maybe not good for him.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
If you are that active outdoors, I do feel you should definitely use something. There are illnesses that transmit via ticks and fleas that are much worse than the treatments themselves. Definitely talk to your bet about options though... there are several different formulas out there. I used a heartworm treatment on my cat that was in a skin-application and it made his hair fall out in the spot, which is actually rather common. Since he''s an indoor cat, we''ve elected to discontinue the treatments, but for dog with mucho outdoor activities, I''d definitely use something. Once the medicine is dry, it isn''t a danger to you.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
SarFar, we use it for the fleas. Our dog catches them from outside, and scratches so much it makes him insane. BUT, we use BIOSpot, what our vet recomended. I had a dog before who was allergic to the flea bites and would lose his fur. We''ve tried natural things, but our dachshund isn''t supposed to be washed all that much, but the BioSpot works excellently. It''s supposed to be more natural, I think. Sorry, I''m rambling, but I just wanted to tell you what we do.

SarFarSuperstar

Shiny_Rock
I appreciate all the thoughts. My fiance only wants to use it in the summer. It''s a catch-22: use it and prevent stuff, but worry about side-effects or don''t use it and he could get all kinds of gross things.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have mixed feelings on the use of topical agents on animals that I wouldn''t want on my own skin. We''ve had our beagle for almost 3 years, and the past 3 summers he''s spent outside we''ve never found a flea or tick on him (he''s only outside for a few hours in the evening when we get home from work.) We had never "dipped" him before, nor had we used a flea and tick collar. Just didn''t see the point, I guess. However, we just went on vacation for a week in the north woods of Wisconsin, where ticks and mosquitos are prevalent, so we did get a dose of Frontline from the vet and put it on his neck. I would rather subject him to that than returned home with a dog full of oozing bites and who-knows-what illnesses. We actually saw a Weimaraner while we were visiting some other people on the lake that was completely bitten up and looked miserable. (The owners hadn''t dipped him or used a flea/tick collar.) We are actually supposed to use the Frontline 6 times a year, according to the vet, but we won''t be doing that. I don''t see the point in using it unless it''s totally necessary.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I guess I should add that we also only use it during the summer months, since during the winter fleas are no problem. We don''t really need to worry about ticks unless we take him camping.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
Are dogs more succeptible to fleas than cats? I''ve never had dogs, but we''ve always had outdoor cats. We never did any flea/tick treatments, and never had any problems with fleas. The ticks we just picked off the cats, like we did off ourselves (actually, I always got my dad to pick them off).

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The flea threat is year-round here in my area so we do use Advantix on our dog. My vet assures me that it is safe, otherwise I wouldn''t use it. Some friends of ours who also live in San Francisco had a horrible time with fleas after their dog (who wasn''t using Advantix) somehow got them. The dog was miserable and the fleas were even jumping all over their newborn baby. After trying everything (including vacuuming the whole house and all furniture multiple times a day), they finally broke down and called a fleabusters guy. Their ordeal lasted 6 weeks and after getting professional help, all is well again. Personally, I''d rather put Advantix on my dog rather than deal with the threat of a flea nightmare....in which case everyone suffers, including the dog.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i live in a forest in which deer who are carriers of fleas and ticks not only reside but come to my door step; therefore, fleas/ticks are found everywhere here. the key is keeping everything cut short to the ground near the house, keeping pets inside or in areas of least contaminiation, grooming to keep them free of such ugly critters, etc. i believe there are also herbs one can put in the dogs bedding and there are essential oils that can be used instead of chemicals.

i had a tick get into my shoulder a little over a year ago...it was ugly and the thought still grosses me out. i got it when i bent over to admire an iris in my garden which is the one area that is deer free!

fleas i find are not fond of tile flooring. i've made some rather different choices to keep nasty chemicals off my cats and off me....i also have chemical allergies so i have a real interest in keeping chemicals out of our home unless absolutely necessary...and then i try and go as 'natural' as possible. i know pet owners who groom their dogs and/or cats daily because they don't want to keep them in the house and they don't want to put chemicals on them. and i will admit to having satisfaction at have located, isolated, picked, and popped to kill fleas i have found when my cats had problems. even indoor pets can get these critters: we walk into our homes in the same clothes we walk in the woods, we bring in firewood, we visit other homes that have animals who have fleas, etc....in some cases, we are the carriers that bring these unwanted pests into our homes and into our pets lives.

as in all things, it comes down to individual preference and choice. what is ok with one will not be ok with another. before you make a decision do some intensive research [like you would for a diamond] on the side effects of some of these products. some are less toxic than others.

good luck.

movie zombie

SarFarSuperstar

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the responses! I think I''m going to look into some other products, natural etc. to see what else is out there. There has to be something else- also, I definitely agree with the regular grooming. That way you''ll see any unwanted creatures before they take over your house.

Thanks again!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Funny, my dog breed board is having a heated discussion about advantix vs frontline vs natural treatments. I''ll see how it''s going & report.

Ticks come and go with each year. If we have a snow & hard frost, the season isn''t bad. The years where it has been warmer, they can be bad. We use advantix - but only when we see signs that they have more than one or two fleas. Since it works to stop reproduction, the flea population never gets out of control. One can bring in fleas & ticks on their own clothes. Living in the country, ticks are a natural thing to deal with. The key is to check yourself regularly. The tick has to be attached for a period of time before transmitting diseases.

Good luck. I never could figure out why those buggers exist. At least magots are performing a service.
33.gif

SarFarSuperstar

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the thoughts, F&I. Last night we decided we were going to skip the Advantix unless we saw signs of fleas or ticks on Gilligan (we bought 4 treatments at once, so we still have 3 left). And since we just put it on him on the 8th, he''s protected for a while. While I would never want to subject him (or us) to the nastiness of fleas, I really don''t want pesticides covering all of my kitchen surfaces- it just doesn''t seem sanitary.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SarFar -- I''m glad that you made a decision that''s right for you.

I was wondering...is there a big difference between using Frontline and Advantix? I spaced out the last time I posted and said that I use Advantix when we actually use Frontline (prescribed by vet).

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2006 10:05:29 AM
Author: KristyDarling
SarFar -- I''m glad that you made a decision that''s right for you.

I was wondering...is there a big difference between using Frontline and Advantix? I spaced out the last time I posted and said that I use Advantix when we actually use Frontline (prescribed by vet).
Yes, and what is suggested for use varies from locality to locality. And, some vets favor one over the other. Those that are plaqued with mosquitoes w/ west nile carriers may use something different than others.

In general - and ask your vet if this is correct -

Advantix kills fleas, ticks & mosquitos. I have heard that it can be toxic to cats & if you have a dog/cat household - then use with much reservation.

Advantage kills adult fleas

Frontline kills eggs larve, pupae and adult fleas. It is my understanding & experience that it is not effective longer term w/ ticks. But, it is possible it kills some mites.

Any of these products can be harmful. And, I don''t know about long term use around people. This is why I use them only when necessary and not as a preventative.

Talk to your vet about your reservations and get their recommendation. There are some other products out there as well.

One thing I do is completely separate my two pups when I use the application. I give it some time to dry so they don''t get it on each other and other places.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results