shape
carat
color
clarity

Adopting a second dog...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
I am trying to convince DH to adopt a second dog. I have only had single dogs before, but Edgar loves company and is frequently around other dogs. Even around puppies he is wonderful, and adjusts the way he plays. My question is, in your experience, is it better to have a pair of male dogs, or a male and female? I know it depends on the dogs, but I was looking for some insight...

tlh

Ideal_Rock
We currently have 2 male dogs. (His and Hers dogs.) They get along great. Actually I think my dog could get along w/ anything... DH''s dog has some mild aggression issues. My dog is the submissive one. If they were both trying to be the alpha male, we''d have some serious issues. But the problem wouldn''t be gender - it would be aggression/ heirachy level.

If you current dog is pretty laid back - I''d suggest getting a dog that is a good fit - if the new addition is a puppy it shouldnt be an issue/ boy or girl. I''d just stick w/ breeds that like to be in a pack, avoiding certain dog breeds that are known to attach to one owner or person.

Best wishes!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, one of my favorite topics!

Have you thought about fostering? Since you are still in the convincing stages with DH, you might consider fostering with intent to adopt. This way you have an opportunity to see how the dogs get along together. Your boy sounds like a sweetheart and like he''d get along with any dog, but there is always the concern that they will not. You really can''t predict whether their personalities will be a match or not. I''d suggest contacting a local rescue group or two and tell them what you''re looking for. If fostering is not an option, then definitely bring Edgar with you to meet the new dog.

I personally think adopting a second dog is great idea. I had three dogs, two greyhounds and a beagle mix. My two greyhounds very unfortunately both passed away, within a few weeks of each other, due to chronic illnesses. It was heartbreaking for me, but also so sad for Lucy, the beagle mix. She was best friends with one of the greyhounds, and she was lost without him. Lucy is a very needy girl, and after Bruce passed, she would walk around the house aimlessly and come to us constantly for attention. Well, we adopted a new greyhound boy on Saturday. It is hilarious because even though he pays no attention at all to Lucy, she is somehow very comforted by his presence. She stays with him in the living room at night, whereas she used to come upstairs to see us. Now, she is perfectly content to just be in the same room with our new greyhound. They have started to play outside, which is really nice to see. I think they will become closer as time goes on.

It sounds like Edgar, since he is so friendly, would probably benefit from having another dog around too. Is there a specific type of dog you''re looking for? I know you''re adopting, but are you searching for any particular breed or mix?

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
My dream would be a Bernese Mountain Dog...difficult to find, but there may be a couple at a shelter here. But truthfully, it doesn''t matter. Any sweet face will do.
1.gif

Here is Mo, one pup I would like to look at...

GA426_13272690-1-pn.jpg

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
And here are some other shelter (a kill facility, unfortunately) babies I may go see tomorrow...

GA320_13257040-3-pn.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 11:50:07 AM
Author: Loves Vintage
Have you thought about fostering? Since you are still in the convincing stages with DH, you might consider fostering with intent to adopt. This way you have an opportunity to see how the dogs get along together. Your boy sounds like a sweetheart and like he''d get along with any dog, but there is always the concern that they will not. You really can''t predict whether their personalities will be a match or not. I''d suggest contacting a local rescue group or two and tell them what you''re looking for. If fostering is not an option, then definitely bring Edgar with you to meet the new dog.

DITTO. And let me add to this to introduce them on neutral territory regardless. Our now 2nd dog was initially a foster and that was a GREAT way to make sure they got along.

I don''t think genders matter as much as not having 2 dogs who want to be dominate. THAT causes trouble.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Those are some cute puppies!

BMD''s are great dogs!! The other puppies are precious too!

Did you get Edgar as a puppy?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I've always heard that a male and a female are most likely to get along with each other. I've also heard that two females are the least likely to get along.

However, I've known many pairs of two males and two females that are just fine! Since it sounds like your dog is especially friendly with other dogs, he shouldn't have a problem. If you're adopting from a shelter, they should allow you to bring your dog and have a little date with the new dog to see if they're compatible.

ETA: I wanted to add something from my experience of dogs in pairs: one pair started as an older dog and a puppy was brought in. The second pair were from the same litter. In both cases, the dogs got along well, no agression issues or anything, but they were never really friends. I never saw either pair play with each other. The brother and sister would groom each other (ie lick the other's face) sometimes, but that was about it. When the brother dog passed away, the sister actually became much more outgoing because he had pushed her aside for so many years until she became very independent. Once he was gone, she became much more of a presence and seemed happier. I'm always a two dog advocate, just be prepared that they may never really bond and may just co-exist. This is also a really good reason why fostering is so great, because you'll know if the dogs actually enjoy each other or just put up with each other.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think its wonderful you are planning to add a second dog to your family - dogs can be wonderful companions for each other, plus, you''ll be saving another life. Those pups are DARLING
30.gif
9.gif

I''d just recommend doing your reading about training and techniques for handling two dogs in the home - its completely possible, but best to be as prepared as possible before you bring the new one home.

With regards to gender, as long as they are all fixed, and neither is a dog-aggressive breed, it shouldn''t really matter.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great question. We''ve been considering this too.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
We have two dogs and I think it is FANTASTIC!

We have a male and a female.

We had the male first - and we got the female when the male was about a year old. The female was about 4 months when we brought her home. They get along GREAT and always have. The eat out the same food bowl, have never fought - they are so darn cute together.

And I think it is great that you are looking at puppies - in terms of the two dogs developing a relationship.

The one word of advice I''d give - I think even more important than male/female is knowing the personality of your first dog. Our first dog is the most LAIDBACK, chilled out dog ever. He isn''t really an alpha, but he isn''t submissive either. We joke that he dwells above the world of pack order. Point is, we knew he''d have no issues if the new dog ended up being a total alpha (which she did, 20 pounds of world domination). But, because we got her as a pup, she really isn''t dominant with our other dog at all. In fact, she''s ended up being his biggest protector. Nevermind that he''s 65 pounds and she''s 20...
20.gif

Anyway, good luck!

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
We have 2 Golden Retrievers (hence my screen name), a male and a female. We had the male for 2 years by himself, then adopted the female from a Golden rescue. One of the best decisions we ever made!
They just adore each other.
I have to say, that pic of the all the pups together in that shelter...I''m such a sucker, I''d take them all
30.gif
But the city we live in requires you to apply for a kennel license if you have more than 2 pets in your house. Bleh!
38.gif

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
We did get Edgar as a 4 mo. puppy. I haven''t been concerned overmuch about dominance issues, because like littlelysser''s dog, he is not overly dominant or submissive. When we adopted him, he spent a lot of time with our friend''s cocker, who is more dominant (and I am convinced he thought of Edgar as "his" dog when they were around other dogs) and while it didn''t make him overly submissive, he doesn''t really think of himself as "top dog", either (that''s me!).

I really want to find him a dog who will be a playmate to him, as it is pretty much his favorite thing in the world to play with other dogs. When he goes to dog daycare or the dog park, when we bring him home he is so mellow and tired out from all of the running.
1.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 11:59:10 AM
Author: Amandine
And here are some other shelter (a kill facility, unfortunately) babies I may go see tomorrow...
Goodness... My dog Wally looked EXACTLY like these guys when he was a puppy. He had a tan body and a black "mask" on his face. He is still such a handsome guy!

I have him and two pretty gilrs:) The girls are a lot more aggressive upon meeting new dogs, but they are best friends with each other. Wally pretty much keeps to himslef unless he wants attention.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
That is so great that you are considering adding another dog to your family. I was hesitant as first, but adopting our second puppy was the best decision. We started out with a male Vizsla and when he was about 6 months, we adopted a female pitbull mix. The male took one afternoon to adjust, but they get along great.
Your dog already sounds like he''s been socialized really well, so I would imagine a female dog would work out nicely.
It will be so fun to watch your dogs play and occupy each other. Nothing tires them out better than another dog. IMO

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Having two dogs is great! They will keep eachother company when you are gone. Dogs are social animals and need company just like we do.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have 2 dogs, they are both female. We got Friday a month before DH and I got married and Casey came along a year later. They get along great and I really do think that one would be lost without the other.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you guys have any suggestions on the best way to introduce two dogs?

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Introducing 2 dogs is a lot easier than introducing 2 cats, I''ll tell ya that much!
3.gif

When we introduced my golden retriever into my boyfriend''s "pack", we decided to go about it differently than just throwing him in and seeing what happens. He''s very timid, and my boyfriend''s chihuahua/rat terrier mix is a little @$$hole. (So funny to see my 98lb golden run away from his 15lb dog).

I walked my dog, and BF walked Charlie at the same time. We did this on territory that neither dog had ever been to. We started far away from each other, and got closer and closer, until we were close enough to have a conversation, and the dogs were close enough to smell each other, but not touch. Stayed like that for about 15 minutes, and then took my dog to the house first. BF came in with Charlie and kept him on a leash but sat on the couch with him and talked to him, while my dog wandered around the house. We watched a tv show and after that we took both dogs outside to meet for the first time. Supervised, of course, and both on leashes. After about 10 minutes of satisfactory behavior, we let them off the leashes. There were a few squabbles initially, so we stayed with them, correcting bad behavior and praising the good. Well actually they weren''t squabbles, it was Charlie biting my huge dog on the nose repeatedly and my dog running for the hills.

Long story short, if your dogs (or one of them) has aggression issues, it''s best to do scent before touch, and ease them into it. Charlie can still be a pain, but if we hadn''t done it that way, I''m sure it would have been worse. But MOST dogs are very friendly and just throwing them in the backyard together is fine.

Something to remember though, your dog may be friendly with other dogs he sees, but when you bring another animal into your home and you split the attention and your dog realizes it''s a permanent thing, he may feel differently. Always monitor the initial situation for a few days. Fights can start and escalate fast over things you didn''t know were problems. They will work out the heirarchy (sp?) at first.

Don''t get me started on introducing cats! I spent 3 DAYS gradually introducing my kitten to the pack, and one of my cats STILL won''t speak to me, and it''s been 2 years! ARG!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Feral. I think we might be getting a second doggy, and I don''t know how dog #1 is going to deal with it, because she''s not exactly the most canine-socialized (very curious and interested, but doesn''t know how to play with them) so I guess we''ll have to play it by ear. She''s been snapped at a couple of times in the past week by dogs at the pet store, but she doesn''t show any aggression besides trying to exert dominance with a high wagging tail.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results