Adapting to new language and thinking on gender

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Lady Doctor" :sick:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny text I got from my binary, cisgender kid: “we got an A in Chem final!” I said, it’s okay to say “I got an A....” none of the rest of the family took the final.....

Sounds like the royal "we"! "We are not amused" :lol:

Maybe we could go back a few decades and refer to ourselves as "one."

"One got an A in one's Chem final"! :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Lady Doctor" :sick:

Then there's, "male nurse". :doh:

That reminds me.
A thousand years ago I dated one.
Being gay, campy, irreverent, and very sarcastic, he referred to himself as a "lady nurse". :lol-2:

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
languagehaspower.jpg

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That quote rings so true @missy.

Some folks have posted about terminology being male-focused, but I find it's not all that difficult to use gender-neutral terms like mail carrier, fire fighter, delivery person, spouse, partner, parent, child, etc. etc.

Human is, I suppose, problematic. But one could use person, people, or get all crazy with it and use homo sapien.... :lol:

Having seen how much it means to my child's well-being and mental-health to be recognized, respected, and acknowledged as their authentic gender, it makes perfect sense to me that those of us in the majority can withstand some of the discomfort for a change, while we work towards giving this previously invisible, unacknowledged group a chance to know how it feels to exist without it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having seen how much it means to my child's well-being and mental-health to be recognized, respected, and acknowledged as their authentic gender, it makes perfect sense to me that those of us in the majority can withstand some of the discomfort for a change, while we work towards giving this previously invisible, unacknowledged group a chance to know how it feels to exist without it.

100% agree. It is such an easy thing to do IMO with just a little effort and repetition it becomes second nature. I always use gender neutral terms and it has become second nature. Language is powerful and we can do better. We need to do better.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That quote rings so true @missy.

Some folks have posted about terminology being male-focused, but I find it's not all that difficult to use gender-neutral terms like mail carrier, fire fighter, delivery person, spouse, partner, parent, child, etc. etc.

Human is, I suppose, problematic. But one could use person, people, or get all crazy with it and use homo sapien.... :lol:

Very thoughtful post.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results