shape
carat
color
clarity

Acne... Neutrogena Skin ID?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone! So my husband used to have pretty bad acne and it seems to be coming back. He took Acutane before but would rather try a skin care program this time than anything like that. Has anyone had any experience with the Neutrogena Skin ID system? It looks like it would be better than Proactive because its customized for your own skin type. Any other suggestiond are welcome.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I went through the website, as I was seriously considering it, and was not impressed. First, I think they got my skin type wrong, and, second, the treatment plan they offered me was not all that different from what I do, but a lot more expensive. Like Proactive I think it is a bunch of OTC treatments in a fancy package that they charge more for. But all the medicines are medicines that treat acne, and do a pretty good job, so if you want to try it it would not hurt at all. Many people say Proactive the only thing that works for them, if if that is true, than it is probably worth the money (I don't know anyone on the system you are referring to). However, here is an OTC alternative that is similar to these step treatments, but more cost effective. I use it myself, with an low dose of retin-a at night (packaged as neutrogenia intense anti-wrinkle cream, rentin-a is also labeled as a wrinkle cream).

Use oil free products or if your skin is really dry, use plant based oils or essential oils - avoid mineral oils
Wash face twice daily with salicylic acid based soap. Neurotrogenia and Johnson and Johnson (clean and clear) both make these and they cost $5-6
Use a 10% benzy peroxide cream to treat acne you already have
If you don't already do this, wash pillows and towels weekly (to get rid of oil accumlation)
These products tend to dry your skin, so use a moisturizer for sensitive/acne prone skin (one with an SPF greater to or equal to 15 is better, not for acne, but for sun cancer prevention)

If this does not work, the next step would be a short course (2-3 months max) of antibiotics and retin-a. Retin A prevents acne, so it takes up to 8 weeks to work, it also makes the skin dry and sun sensitive. But if someone uses it properly (no more than a pea size to the face, use it every regularly), it can really help.

Just my opinion, if he tries it and it works, I would love to hear about it.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went thru the quiz deal too, and didn''t get any of the stuff. I did end up trying something called Buzz on Acne and really like it so far.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
You could get him some of the Anthony Logistics stuff. Nate uses some of the products and he likes them a lot. Plus, you don''t have to order them. If you have a Sephora, Ulta, or Bath and Body works close by you can buy it there.

Anthony Logistics

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I went ahead and purchased a set for both of us. I''ll try to remember to give an update for anyone else who is curious about the results.

LtlFirecracker- Thanks for the info. I think we''ll try the Skin ID for a month or two and to see how it works and then maybe switch over to some other products with similar ingredients like what you mentioned.

Packrat- I''ve never heard of that before... I''ll be sure to check it out!

Pennquaker- Thank you for the recommendation. I''ve never heard of that line before either ... I''ll check into that as well.

Thanks everyone!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
From what I know about skin care is that OTC treatments greatly depend on the type of acne you are suffering under. If your husband is suffering cystic acne, white heads, black heads or anything else that is under the skin, seeking the help of a dermatologist is in his best interest. However, if we''re talking the occasional break out, then something simpler and soft like Skin ID or ProActive might help.

Another good thing to get on is having regular facials. No longer are facials all about the ladies, many upscale salon/spa''s offer facials for men that are extremely deep cleaning, masculine and benefical. They are expensive, but if you can afford it, it''s worth it. Facials, in our home, are simply part of our monthly or bi-monthly skin care plan. My husband hated them at first...but it''s not so bad.

Also, exercise helps clear up acne, too. Sweat flushes your pores. Now of course this isn''t an overnight cure all...but over time once you''ve contained the issue, sweating it out helps maintain it.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve actually been wondering about that skin id stuff. Be sure to let us know how it works out!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results