shape
carat
color
clarity

about to have "the talk" with gf''s father

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovehersomuch

Shiny_Rock
im about to talk to my gf''s father about my intentions to marry her. he is expecting it. just wanted to know what are some good things to say and what the father would like to hear.. obviously tell them that i love their daughter and will care for them etc and respect him and want his blessings... anything else?

thanks

lovehersomuch

Shiny_Rock
does a gf''s father ever ask to see the ring? im not planning on taking it with me.. i just wanted to have the talk with him and he can see the ring when my fiance shows it to him.

what do you all think?

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think he needs to see the ring before you give it to her. That ring is for her, not him. If he''s expecting it, then you probably don''t need to worry about it. I don''t know your future FIL, but he''s like most men I know, or like me for that matter, the fewer words the better. I''m planning this little speech myself and right now its pretty much, "I love (future FI''s name) and I want to marry her and would like your blessing to do so." Or something along those lines. But its pretty much going to be a one sentence thing and then if he has any other questions it can go from there. I''ve hung out with her family quite a bit and gotten to know them, so it won''t be too hard for me. So I guess my final advice is as few words as possible because its a lot easier to say one sentence than it is to try to ramble on and on without getting yourself too nervous or looking nervous or making them nervous.

AStack75

Shiny_Rock
I''ll be asking the GF''s father in two weeks (July 5th). So is it customary to only ask the father? I''d feel weird leaving out the mother.

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 8:25:11 PM
Author: AStack75
I''ll be asking the GF''s father in two weeks (July 5th). So is it customary to only ask the father? I''d feel weird leaving out the mother.

I agree. I''m going to make sure they are both there, but I''ll probably still talk mostly to her father.

Schell

Rough_Rock
I''m intending on asking my GF''s father nest week (July 1). I am flying from San Francisco to Seattle on "business" to ask them. The three of us are going to dinner (they think for my b-day which is the next day). So in my case they will both be there, even though she''s "daddy''s girl" I think they should both be involved.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results