shape
carat
color
clarity

Abnormal blood test results

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big hugs to you, beautiful. My mother always tells me not to worry unless they give me something to worry about. Easier said than done, I completely realise, but I do try very hard to live by that mantra.

Also thankful that in the UK you can’t access your blood results like you can in the US. Once results are back with the Dr, somebody from the Dr’s office will phone you & say all normal, or your iron is low & there’s a prescription here for you, or you need to come in & see the Dr, etc, etc. No unnecessary worry, which is how it should be.

Sunrises Sunsets

Shiny_Rock
Big hugs to you, beautiful. My mother always tells me not to worry unless they give me something to worry about. Easier said than done, I completely realise, but I do try very hard to live by that mantra.

Also thankful that in the UK you can’t access your blood results like you can in the US. Once results are back with the Dr, somebody from the Dr’s office will phone you & say all normal, or your iron is low & there’s a prescription here for you, or you need to come in & see the Dr, etc, etc. No unnecessary worry, which is how it should be.

I totally disagree with the philosophy that my medical records should only belong to the Drs. It is not mandatory to look at test results and blood test parameters. For those of us who wish to know, the information is readily provided and for the squeamish, they can be ignored or request their information not be posted to mychart or whatever setup their medical facility utilizes. I understand some cannot handle this information and for those, I strongly suggest ignoring results until you hear from your physician.

Wishing you the best YadaYadaYada and all of those who are currently enduring medical challenges.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally disagree with the philosophy that my medical records should only belong to the Drs. It is not mandatory to look at test results and blood test parameters. For those of us who wish to know, the information is readily provided and for the squeamish, they can be ignored or request their information not be posted to mychart or whatever setup their medical facility utilizes. I understand some cannot handle this information and for those, I strongly suggest ignoring results until you hear from your physician.

Wishing you the best YadaYadaYada and all of those who are currently enduring medical challenges.

Of course, you are able to ask for a full copy of your blood work here should you wish to see it - they aren’t the property of the medical world. But generally in the first instance, you wait for a call from the GP’s office to discuss your results.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada, Thinking of you and hoping you get good news soon regarding your test results. I know it’s nerve racking waiting for results.

Please know you have a whole group of people here who will support you no matter what life throws at you. You are pretty special to so many of us here.

Sunrises Sunsets

Shiny_Rock
Of course, you are able to ask for a full copy of your blood work here should you wish to see it - they aren’t the property of the medical world. But generally in the first instance, you wait for a call from the GP’s office to discuss your results.

I prefer to have my blood tests results prior to Drs. contacting me or during my appointment so I am prepared to question discrepancies or unusual results. Dr. appointments have been clipped so short now and I want to be prepared to have all my questions answered.

I do understand why some do not want to read their test results ahead of time and I respect their decision.

I hope many of the plausible explanations provided for Yada's blood test results help relax her fears in this instance until she hears from her physician.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dear @YadaYadaYada I know it’s upsetting but let’s dissect this point by point.

Your ALT is barely elevated. It goes up with the slightest thing. Exercise will raise ALT. Being sick will raise it.

Your crp is elevated but it’s very non specific. You want the high sensitivity crp known as hsCRP. Sounds like you were sick last week and that will definitely raise the crp and it will go back down quickly once you’re well.

As for the ANA yes it could indicate an auto immune condition or it could have gone up due to a viral infection. A positive ANA alone doesn't indicate an autoimmune disease. It is not a diagnosis of an autoimmune disease. A positive ANA just means your immune system is overactive which happens when you’re sick. So it could be due to the fact you were under the weather last week.

At this point I would try not to worry because it could be something as simple as you were infected with a virus last week.

Sending many well wishes and gentle hugs. I hope this turns out to be absolutely nothing to worry about.

What Missy said! I don't blame you a bit for being concerned and upset--I would be too! But there's a fairly good chance that your symptoms and lab results are temporary and not indicative of long-lasting problems. Stay positive, stay calm, stay centered. Time will sort out everything.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Ally T, funny, I always tell the kids, don’t worry until it’s in front of you, well hard to take my own advice, at least they aren’t aware how hypocritical I am lol!

@Sunrises Sunsets, yes I agree that the information should be available for those who want it, that only seems fair. As @pearlsngems pointed out, knowledge is power and when it comes to our health, we really need to be in the driver’s seat. Thank you for the good wishes!

@Mrsz1ppy, thank you for the good thoughts. Actually I am less worried than I was which I think is at least partly from the reassuring posts in this thread.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Calliecake, aw thanks for that sweet post, I really appreciate everyone’s support and good wishes.

Thanks @natasha-cupcake, I know I can always count on you for good level headed advice and of course fun cafe and antique store adventures ;-)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hi YadaYadaYada,

I have no medical background to help, but sending juju for good health to return quickly. Hope you feel better soon and whatever this is exits stage left.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi YadaYadaYada,

I have no medical background to help, but sending juju for good health to return quickly. Hope you feel better soon and whatever this is exits stage left.

Thank you so much :)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada i know you are nervouse and worried, but how is the weekend going? are you feeling well?

Thanks for checking in with me! I feel pretty good but I attribute that to eating very healthy all week long. If there is one good thing to come out of this, even if it ends up being nothing, it scared me into cleaning up my diet. Tough working in a bakery and not eating all the delicious things, but I feel so much better without them.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for checking in with me! I feel pretty good but I attribute that to eating very healthy all week long. If there is one good thing to come out of this, even if it ends up being nothing, it scared me into cleaning up my diet. Tough working in a bakery and not eating all the delicious things, but I feel so much better without them.

i do know exactly what you mean, sigh
and im happy for you that you feel better, :appl:

we dont get any breaks at my work, we work afternoons on our own, but we are allowed what ever we want to eat - i mean within reason, but you know, you do get over it
on a saturday they make me a good old old fashoned tomato sandwhich -it is so good, no one sells them anymore, its on white bread like back in the day but our owner-baker-bread maker doesnt use preservatives or additives so that has to count for something
hot cross buns have just started here -ours are really good, i'll never eat another supermarket bakery one
1708888889025.jpeg

good luck for this week :angel:

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @natasha-cupcake, I know I can always count on you for good level headed advice and of course fun cafe and antique store adventures ;-)

I was going to say that maybe a little antique-ing or jewelry hunting might help keep your mind off of things! It has been a while... ("whistles innocently")

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to say that maybe a little antique-ing or jewelry hunting might help keep your mind off of things! It has been a while... ("whistles innocently")

It probably would, but the huge downside to retail is working on the weekends and I have been working all weekend since we are so short handed. I’ll let you know if I get a day off, hopefully before July when I’m on vacation for a week.

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
Dear @YadaYadaYada I know it’s upsetting but let’s dissect this point by point.

Your ALT is barely elevated. It goes up with the slightest thing. Exercise will raise ALT. Being sick will raise it.

Your crp is elevated but it’s very non specific. You want the high sensitivity crp known as hsCRP. Sounds like you were sick last week and that will definitely raise the crp and it will go back down quickly once you’re well.

As for the ANA yes it could indicate an auto immune condition or it could have gone up due to a viral infection. A positive ANA alone doesn't indicate an autoimmune disease. It is not a diagnosis of an autoimmune disease. A positive ANA just means your immune system is overactive which happens when you’re sick. So it could be due to the fact you were under the weather last week.

At this point I would try not to worry because it could be something as simple as you were infected with a virus last week.

Sending many well wishes and gentle hugs. I hope this turns out to be absolutely nothing to worry about.

I have an MD and I totally agree with this but of course your own doctor knows you best and will hopefully have a more detailed explanation of these labs with you soon. @missy you did a fabulous job breaking it down. It can be totally overwhelming to see all these labs at once, especially when they flag abnormal like this. All of these looks pretty nonspecific to me especially in the context of what sounds like a yucky illness and I’m glad to hear you’re feeling better.
Autoimmunity certainly runs in your family and that could put you at risk of developing an autoimmune condition as well. Sometimes the condition will present itself after an illness (I’ve seen this a lot in type 1 diabetes where it seems like when the immune system gets triggered it activates autoimmune processes as well). I’m not sure whether it’s worth following these labs up and that’s something you can discuss with your doctor but if you notice any new or unusual symptoms definitely mention them

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada in hope you get the help you need. I have a yearly appt this coming week and I’m giving her a list of things I need her to help me with. I’m actually a cash payer so I’ll be treating this appt accordingly: I’ll let you know how it goes.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sweetpea&babycorn, thank you for your reassurance, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I think I’m just not going to think about it for now and just keep trying to eat better, get enough sleep and keep stress to a minimum.

@monarch64, it’s hard enough worrying about all the medical expenses with insurance, so I really feel for you having to pay out of pocket. It’s so unacceptable how health insurance and medical expenses are in this country. First world country, we should be doing better than this certainly. Thanks for the good wishes and I hope that you are able to address those things ant your appointment and have successful outcomes for them.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well not much of an update, the doctor has not been in contact. I am thinking I had something viral, although I would not be surprised to have an AI issue down the line, right now it doesn’t seem like there is anything worth worrying about.

Just going to keep up with eating better, try to move a little more, try to keep the stress to a minimum.

I do appreciate all the good wishes and thoughts and reassurance.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well not much of an update, the doctor has not been in contact. I am thinking I had something viral, although I would not be surprised to have an AI issue down the line, right now it doesn’t seem like there is anything worth worrying about.

Just going to keep up with eating better, try to move a little more, try to keep the stress to a minimum.

Oh, I'm happy to hear this!
If it was serious, I'd think they would've contacted you right away.
Yes, eating better is always a good idea.
I'm trying to stay away from all the snacks and sweets, too. It's hard!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

and now it is the weekend so try to relax away =)2

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How is everything @YadaYadaYada ?

They never called me and it seems like I might have had a virus because I feel better now. I just loathe dealing with doctors and this is part of the reason why, can’t make a phone call or send a message through MyChart to let me know all is well?! Doctors are busy I get that, especially for a non-issue but a quick message would have been appreciated.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They never called me and it seems like I might have had a virus because I feel better now. I just loathe dealing with doctors and this is part of the reason why, can’t make a phone call or send a message through MyChart to let me know all is well?! Doctors are busy I get that, especially for a non-issue but a quick message would have been appreciated.
Maybe call them just to put your mind at ease? I know it should work the other way around, but unfortunately that is not always the case.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results