shape
carat
color
clarity

Abbreviating words- a sort of rant

April20

Ideal_Rock
I was on FB tonight and realized that this one gal I know abbreviated nearly every word she types. I get that typing on a phone can be a real PITA, but I don't think she's always posting from a phone. She abbreviates nearly every word that isn't a, an or the. For instance, she abbreviated "pick" as "pik". I mean, was the C really that hard to type? Did leaving it out save that much time? I've also noticed that she abbreviates "probably" as "prolly". What.the.heck? I've seen that elsewhere. Is it a new word? (I'm realizing I'm probably going to have to delete her from my FB account if she irritates me this much).

Quite frankly, I mind all the abbreviated English to be mostly lazy English. It makes me nuts. I really wonder if she speaks this sloppily on a daily basis or if it's just in type. When did things slide to the point that people cannot be bothered to spell out SHORT WORDS???

amc80

Ideal_Rock
"Prolly" is one of my pet peeves. Ick. Really, is it that hard to type out a few letters? I have friends on FB who do the text speak as well and it drives me insane. I've actually unfriended people because of it, ha.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
+ a million!!!

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
I feel the EXACT same way. I get that it was originally used for text messaging with a character limit, but, um...that's not an issue anymore.

I have argued with my little cousin over it before and proceeded to delete her. It's called ENGLISH, people!! What's worse is that a lot of people just don't know how to spell properly anymore! It's sad.

It annoys the poop out of me!

You can hide people so you don't see their stuff. I've done that to a few people.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I've hidden a TON of people. I hid one girl because she always typed in all caps and it made me crazy. The only reason I didn't delete her is she's related to me by marriage and I felt a little too guilty to do that!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
April20|1316711782|3023034 said:
I was on FB tonight and realized that this one gal I know abbreviated nearly every word she types. I get that typing on a phone can be a real PITA, but I don't think she's always posting from a phone. She abbreviates nearly every word that isn't a, an or the. For instance, she abbreviated "pick" as "pik". I mean, was the C really that hard to type? Did leaving it out save that much time? I've also noticed that she abbreviates "probably" as "prolly". What.the.heck? I've seen that elsewhere. Is it a new word? (I'm realizing I'm probably going to have to delete her from my FB account if she irritates me this much).

Quite frankly, I mind all the abbreviated English to be mostly lazy English. It makes me nuts. I really wonder if she speaks this sloppily on a daily basis or if it's just in type. When did things slide to the point that people cannot be bothered to spell out SHORT WORDS???

What's FB?

:bigsmile:

April20

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1316714980|3023091 said:

What's FB?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you got me on that one but at least it's a REAL abbreviation (of sorts) and not just lazy spelling!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
April20|1316715170|3023092 said:

What's FB?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you got me on that one but at least it's a REAL abbreviation (of sorts) and not just lazy spelling!!

LOL :lol:

Frankly, I think people write pik, instead of pick, for the same reason you wrote FB.
It's quicker and easier and they expect you just know what they mean.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1316715216|3023094 said:

What's FB?

Frankly, I think people write pik, instead of pick, for the same reason you wrote FB.

I would not have known what pik means automatically!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47|1316715624|3023105 said:
kenny|1316715216|3023094 said:

What's FB?

I would not have known what pik means automatically!

Well, in context you might . . . She couldn't decide which dress to pik for the prom.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I did know what she meant In context, but every single post is this jumble of lazy spelling.

I have to wonder, does this type of abbreviating/lazy spelling spill over to the workplace and then limit what opportunities/promotions a person is considered for? I know if I was hiring/promoting, it would turn me off.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't get me wrong.
I dislike it too and share your rant.
I often don't know what people are talking about.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
O pls, r u rlly that bthrd by lzy ppl?

LOL :bigsmile:

I totally agree. I hate when people abbreviate so much. Since when is proper grammar and spelling no longer the required norm? I hate it. Teacher's and parents allowing kids to rely on spell check is not helping matters either. I also can't stand the lack of common spelling knowledge now. So many younger girls I know spell tomorrow as tomarrow. Really? There's bone marrow in the coming day?

My kids will be learning how to spell, and how to punctuate, and how to use proper grammar.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
1 fav b
2b!2b

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
We are witnessing the origins of a deep generational divide occurring in real time.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ya kno, I tink o' it lik a STYLZZZZZ ting. Snazzzlicious! Jazztastic! Y b bbbbbooooorrrrrriiinnnnggg?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
April20|1316716222|3023113 said:
I have to wonder, does this type of abbreviating/lazy spelling spill over to the workplace and then limit what opportunities/promotions a person is considered for? I know if I was hiring/promoting, it would turn me off.
I've noticed SO MANY MORE unintentional errors -- really embarrassing ones! ... that irk me WAY more than kind of jazzy spellings and abbreviations with flavor. Depends on the workplace. In my field it's very important to be *current*. And *casual*/*funny*. If I worked at a bank - or - ha! a school! perhaps I'd feel differently.

ETA: And I'll add this Fun Fact! I used to be an insufferable grammar Nazi. And then I realized that language, um, EVOLVES. And spellings of words change over time as well. How fun is it to be so brittle?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know a few people on other fora who never use capitals.
One is a published writer.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fleur-de-lis|1316723545|3023247 said:
We are witnessing the origins of a deep generational divide occurring in real time.

I agree.
I think in a generation or two English will be VERY different!

Do they even teach children to write in cursive script any more?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1316725714|3023288 said:

I agree.

They do (usually in second or third grade). I'm not sure English will be so different. I mean, yes, language evolves over time, but I think it will still be important to know how to write properly.

My friends laugh at me because I'm incapable of texting in short hand. I can't do it. Just can't.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1316726419|3023294 said:

I agree.

They do (usually in second or third grade). I'm not sure English will be so different. I mean, yes, language evolves over time, but I think it will still be important to know how to write properly.

My friends laugh at me because I'm incapable of texting in short hand. I can't do it. Just can't.

What is considered proper changes too.
In 20 years the texting generation that we find so annoying today will be WRITING the English textbooks for the next generation. :-o :-o :-o

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kenny|1316727023|3023300 said:

I agree.

In 20 years the texting generation that we find so annoying today will be WRITING the English textbooks for the next generation. :-o :-o :-o
I bet I spend a lot more of my day writing than my parents did when they were growing up. Writing gchats, emails, text messages, on forums, blogging... I mostly communicate through writing. When more communication is in this form, yes, you're going to have more examples of bad, but I think my generation's writing skills, on average, will exceed the previous generation's skills.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

I agree.

I know what you mean. I don't think it will be that bad though. Kids/Young adults will be taught to write properly and professionally as they get older. I was thinking of little kids and teaching them how to form letters properly when I wrote what I did earlier. You should see the funky way some of my students grip their pencils and write certain letters. It's interesting.

Hopefully that made sense. I'm tired.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock

I agree.

Eh, but our grandparents would be aghast to discover the prepositions our generation ends our sentences with.

;-)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I see here examples of one thing that gets me in a stew -- no criticism intended of those who do it, it just is a bugaboo of mine: the "/" instead of "and" or "or." From a style standpoint, it's unattractive. More important, it does not make the point clear.

Example: "DH gets annoyed/angry when I say that." "Angry" and "annoyed" are not synonyms. Which is it? Does he become one sometimes (say, annoyed) & the other, others (angry)? Or is he annoyed and angry at once?

It isn't hard to type 2 or 3 more letters: "My DH gets annoyed or angry when I say that." "My DH gets annoyed and angry when I say that."

If someone does mean to use synonyms, it's redundant: "My DH gets angry/mad when I say that." Use just one; they mean the same thing.

Ok, vent over! :roll: 8-)

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Jewelfreak - I always take / to mean "and, or" as in " My DH gets angry and, or annoyed when this happens."

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1316787418|3023796 said:
I see here examples of one thing that gets me in a stew -- no criticism intended of those who do it, it just is a bugaboo of mine: the "/" instead of "and" or "or." From a style standpoint, it's unattractive. More important, it does not make the point clear.

Example: "DH gets annoyed/angry when I say that." "Angry" and "annoyed" are not synonyms. Which is it? Does he become one sometimes (say, annoyed) & the other, others (angry)? Or is he annoyed and angry at once?

JewelFreak, I believe the writer means to indicate a fractional relationship where "annoyed" is the numerator and "angry" is the denominator; thus, his annoyance is only part of his anger. Though there are different f(r)actions on this issue, there are those who would say this viewpoint is perfectly... rational.

<--- :geek: :lol: (Math and grammar geeks, unite!)

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I think I'm the only one I know who texts with full words and puncuation. I've never used "lol" and I (hopefully) never will.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do weird things sometimes but I talk that way at times, to be funny, so some of it doesn't bother me. I say "pry" instead of probably and "dunna" instead of don't. However, I have a friend on FB, the daughter of one who was my bff for a few years, and I've not seen her since she was a young girl, who types..crap I can't even do it, it's so foreign. Not many vowels..it's as if she were speaking w/out moving her lips or something. dat=that, sum=some etc..a whole sentence like that makes me feel like I'm chewing on tinfoil. You know those emails where they have the letters all mixed up in the words but you can still read it? No problem. Those status updates w/all the weird abbreviations? I look like I'm trying to decipher quantum physics when I read it.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1316798955|3023950 said:
I think I'm the only one I know who texts with full words and puncuation. I've never used "lol" and I (hopefully) never will.

Yep! Me too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results