shape
carat
color
clarity

AAAHHH! I need setting advice ASAP! (Quick Poll)

Which setting should I pick?

• Stuller

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Circles

Votes: 19 48.7%

• Total voters

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
Just when I thought I was all over because I had decided on my diamond!

As some of you know, I've had my eye on this Stuller setting!

However, when I e-mailed Adam, he offered me another option that's made by OWD and also readily available. AND IT HAS CIRCLES! I love circles!

Here is the Stuller setting for comparison purposes:
img_780__2_.jpg

Cost is $500 for the circle setting. No idea how much the Stuller setting costs. Now I'm conflicted all over again! While I love the classic and timeless look of the Stuller setting, I also love the uniqueness and fun of the OWD setting!

More thoughts:
-Circles seem to have a bigger basket, meaning more gapping with the wedding band
-Circles is definitely the more unique option
-My diamond's profile (right) would seem perfect for the Stuller setting. Would it have the same effect with the circle setting?
-I can probably get the circle setting customized with as skinny a band as I want (but not too skinny)
-Have no idea how much the Stuller setting is supposed to cost (pondering 14K, X1, or White Palladium)

What are you thoughts? Anyone ever get anything made by Adam's bench?

600281_10201326962199004_1349896131_n_1_.jpg

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock
which diamond did you pick?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In prior threads you were very concerned about any sort of gap between your e-ring and wedding band. Has your thinking on this changed?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been quoted between 300-400 for that stuller setting.

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a really tough choice. They are both beautiful in their own right...decisions, decisions :confused: !

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Well I honestly really like both settings, but, I voted circles as I read your other thread and like how this seemed to come together for you with your diamond and the circles setting just seems to be another one of those serendipitous occasions of the right things coming together.

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
Getting closer to a decisions!

Here's a picture of the gap on the Stuller setting. The mounting base on the Stuller is smaller than the OWD circles setting. Right now I'm questioning if I want a gap bigger than the one pictured! Not sure I do!

img_9799.jpg

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
The "Circles" setting/ring you posted was my ring, so here are some of my photos of it with a band so you can get an idea of the gap.

It was a great temp setting for me! The only reason I reset is because I'm not a solitaire girl at heart.

_7863.jpg

_7866.jpg

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
Well, this may change things.

The Stuller setting is $275, including labor for the 14K white gold.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PumpkinsAreAwesome|1447710642|3950467 said:

That's quite the difference.

For what it's worth I think either would look good with the wedding band you're choosing.

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1447711553|3950476 said:
PumpkinsAreAwesome|1447710642|3950467 said:

That's quite the difference.

For what it's worth I think either would look good with the wedding band you're choosing.

Considering we basically blew our budget on the center stone, pricing is certainly a significant factor! :lol:

When I asked Adam about the X1 White Gold he said that he's never heard of it. Anyway, it looks like X1 is not available on the site unless you special order and we're on a time crunch (hoping to get this ring back before Thanksgiving). So it looks like I'm getting 14K white gold regardless of which setting I pick!

I told Adam that I'd let him know my decision tomorrow, so that buys me some time!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
From reading your post, I understand money is an issue since you blew the budget on the main stone. I know your story all too well! Living it :) lol! Oops :)

With that said I also think you should not compromise. Hopefully you will have the setting for quite a while. If you can, please try not to make the decision based on financial. Try to pick the one that you really just like the most, regardless of price.

With that said I voted for the circles. I like the way the circle matches the wedding band since that one also has small little circles in it. However with that said both settings are beautiful and will look quite stunning with the band that you referenced.

May I add? You were also pretty darn excited about those circles! Maybe you're trying to tell yourself something about which serring? :)

GL

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re the Stuller option: I wouldn't assume that Stuller cannot produce the mounting in its X1 gold in time; so ask Adam to ask Stuller about the feasibility of a quick turn-around for an X1 order, and what the additional costs would be, so you have more complete info.

( Also, wondering if an in-stock mounting will work with your stone or might a custom head be needed, because of its dimensions, even if you decide upon Stuller's standard 14K white gold. Am sure Adam knows the answer to that, but am mentioning it in case you haven't been expressly assured that going with the standard white gold means Stuller could get the mounting to Adam virtually overnight.)

Much as I like the Stuller 211004 mounting, I agree with cinnamonstick that the Circles one does seem to have now captured your heart; would you consider delaying a bit having it set in the Circles mounting, so you could save up the difference in cost (or maybe Santa will stuff your stocking with some $$ ;)) )? This Thanksgiving will come and go -- and one can be engaged, and share the news with family and friends, without having a ring on your finger -- but the e-ring itself is something you'll wear in the days, months, and years to come.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the circles one, and I like the Circles w/the bubble bezel band. I would agree about not "settling" just b/c of cost. Not that the other setting is "settling" b/c it's also beautiful, but it just seems like Circles made you stop and go OMG, you know? I would rather wait and save up to get what you want. $250 is a lot of money, but would be worth it to see what you could cut out for a while, to sock it away. (morning coffee, times out to eat etc..)

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
Here are more thoughts now that I've had time to step back and think:

-The circle setting is lower profile, which is pretty practical for me.
-However, I like how the diamond in the Stuller setting seems to float! I feel the Stuller setting really compliments the profile of my diamond and I am worried the circles will cover that up.
-Another concern is the circle setting will obstruct the pavilion and prevent me from seeing the beautiful prism light reflections on my hand.
-The Stuller setting really is timeless
-I prefer the matte finish on the Stuller setting in the photo above over the super shiny silver finish of Adam's circle setting pic
-I do like circles, though, but do I like them enough to get the circle setting...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PumpkinsAreAwesome|1447721557|3950538 said:
Here are more thoughts now that I've had time to step back and think:

-The circle setting is lower profile, which is pretty practical for me.
-However, I like how the diamond in the Stuller setting seems to float! I feel the Stuller setting really compliments the profile of my diamond and I am worried the circles will cover that up.
-Another concern is the circle setting will obstruct the pavilion and prevent me from seeing the beautiful prism light reflections on my hand.
-The Stuller setting really is timeless
-I prefer the matte finish on the Stuller setting in the photo above over the super shiny silver finish of Adam's circle setting pic
-I do like circles, though, but do I like them enough to get the circle setting...

He can do the finish however you want on either settings, I assume
(I still like the stuller most)

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
star sparkle|1447710413|3950465 said:
The "Circles" setting/ring you posted was my ring, so here are some of my photos of it with a band so you can get an idea of the gap.

It was a great temp setting for me! The only reason I reset is because I'm not a solitaire girl at heart.

_7863.jpg

_7866.jpg

Star sparkle: Do you remember how thick your band was? I'm a fan of skinny bands, and that one looks like a good size!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I prefer the circle one! I love the Stuller one too, but somehow I think the circle setting "fits" better with your diamond, and the profile will be a better match.

However, I prefer how the Stuller setting has a tapered shank, whereas the circle one seems to be the same width.

Overall the circle is my preference, but not by much. And especially if cost is a factor then if I were you then I might go with the Stuller. But either will be gorgeous, so you can't go wrong! :appl:

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't/couldn't vote. I love both setting equally. In a perfect world, you could keep both stones and set them in each setting :bigsmile: LOL I am no help at all but I am enjoying reading about your journey for the perfect stone and now the perfect setting. Fun times :appl:

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Do you care how high off the finger the diamond sits? There's a pretty big difference between the two so that would be my determining factor. I do like the Stuller more but that's just my personal preference.

$250 or $500 isn't that much money so you could always swap out the setting in a year or two.

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
I think as long as it doesn't sit too high off my finger I'll be okay with it! Certain the circular setting is more practical of the two.

My question is this: Will the basket of the circle setting block light and inhibit the light performance of the diamond? I do like the idea of light bouncing off the pavilion and onto my hand, like in the Stuller face-up photo! One of many reasons I didn't consider a bezel.

Right now I'm leaning Stuller, but BARELY. Could change at any moment!

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
I found an old thread that had a number of side profile photos of the circle setting! PS is such a wonderful resource!

After looking at the pictures, while circles is a pretty setting, it's not quite what I wanted. I really do prefer the look of the Stuller!!

I'll sleep on it and make my final, final decision in the morning! I think this time around I'll call Adam instead of e-mailing him about the X1 white gold, since he's never heard of it! Thank you again to everyone on PS for being so supportive and helpful!!!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both really nice settings. I thing for me the circles has an edge, because I prefer a more low profile setting (makes me feel the diamond is safer). If your stone is smaller the circles setting will look more delicate.

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
Called Adam just now and he already has the Stuller setting in his hand! Unfortunately, the diamonds I overnighted to him have yet to arrive!

If all goes well, my boyfriend should have the ring by Thursday and we'll go from there!

Adam is also supplying me with an appraisal for the ring. Not sure if it's his or another company's. Would this be sufficient for JM, or should I get another one when the ring arrives?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PumpkinsAreAwesome|1447781398|3950799 said:
Called Adam just now and he already has the Stuller setting in his hand! Unfortunately, the diamonds I overnighted to him have yet to arrive!

If all goes well, my boyfriend should have the ring by Thursday and we'll go from there!

Adam is also supplying me with an appraisal for the ring. Not sure if it's his or another company's. Would this be sufficient for JM, or should I get another one when the ring arrives?
JM will take what you get from Adam

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted circles as you seem super excited about it. You even named the setting 'circles'. I would swallow the price difference as this will be a ring for eternity (unless you decide to upgrade :lol: ). I love the vintage vibe of Circles.

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
Acinom|1447782694|3950821 said:
I voted circles as you seem super excited about it. You even named the setting 'circles'. I would swallow the price difference as this will be a ring for eternity (unless you decide to upgrade :lol: ). I love the vintage vibe of Circles.

Initially I was pretty excited about the circles. However thankfully I got to see pictures of the ring from other angles, where the circles look like flattened donuts instead of, how do I describe it... donuts. In the end, I'm going with the setting I fell in love with first and still love!

What's awesome is the Stuller is cheap enough so I can upgrade my setting if I want to in the future! Win win!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results