shape
carat
color
clarity

A vent.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today, I sit here and I''m emotionally spent. I can hardly function. Two cups of tea and two cups of coffee and...nothing. Yesterday wasn''t much different.

MY life is pretty mundane. I wake up, get the kids to school, kiss the husband off to work, do the mom thing around the house, (visit you guys), make dinner, go to bed. A few variances here and there, but nothing too major. I keep life pretty small. I have to actually, I''m chronically ill and I have my limitations.

It''s the people around me that are getting to me. The most major source of emotional stress has been my mom. I''m so completely worried about her. Her husband committed suicide a few months ago and (of course) she isn''t handling it well. There is more to the story though, they were alcoholics together. They were so embroiled in the disease that they thought they "were doing well" when they switched from hard liquor to wine. After her husband died, she stopped drinking for a time. That time is over. Drinking is in full swing and worse than ever. I''m afraid she''s going to drink herself to death over this pain. I just don''t know what to do.

My step sister told me the other day that she called my mom one evening and they had an entire conversation where my mom was so drunk, she thought she was talking to my aunt! My mom has also cussed people out (while drunk) and drunk dialed too many others.

Here''s the thing, she thinks she''s sly about her drinking. She''ll call you drunk as can be one evening and the next morning, act as if nothing happened! She''s closeted about it, even though she''s been through rehab in the past and everyone knows she drinks!

I''m just so afraid. I''m not really sleeping because I don''t want to lose her, but I don''t know what to say to her either. I know addicts too, saying something doesn''t really DO anything anyway. My therapist says I need alanon, but I have a hard time seeing how they can help me. I feel like our situation is unique due to the suicide. I feel like I need to be there for my mom''s pain and help her in any way I can. I don''t feel like I can draw hard boundaries on her right now...she''s too raw. She needs too much. Then there is the other side of me that feels that this family enabled one person into his grave and I don''t want to do it to another!

Not sure what I''m looking for. Maybe it''s just good to vent. Thanks for reading.

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have any advice for you but I am so truly and completely sorry that you are going through this tough time. All I can offer is a BIG (((((((HUG)))))))) and I hope that you can at least get some kind of support and hopefully a good sleep.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
A someone from an alcoholic family I think you need alanon. Most people drink to escape emotional problems and while hers is suicide, it really isn''t that different from what everyone else there has seen. It is a disease and just like you would see a peditrist for foot issues, you see them for alcohol problems. If his death didn''t bring her around, NOTHING will, believe me, my grandpa drank himself to death and I saw this with my step grandma, it did not end well. You have to do it for her and you need to know how.

I hope the venting helps and I am so sorry. I am lucky in a way, all the drunks in my life are dead or dry, so I don''t have to do this anymore, although I miss many of them anyway.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HouseCat, I''m so sorry! I think your therapist is right . . . AlAnon can''t hurt, and it just might help. I would at least go to a few meetings and see what it''s like. You can always stop going if you don''t think it''s right for you . . . but give it a chance. Good luck and ((((HUGS)))) to you.
emrose.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2010 9:04:22 PM
Author:House Cat
Today, I sit here and I''m emotionally spent. I can hardly function. Two cups of tea and two cups of coffee and...nothing. Yesterday wasn''t much different.

MY life is pretty mundane. I wake up, get the kids to school, kiss the husband off to work, do the mom thing around the house, (visit you guys), make dinner, go to bed. A few variances here and there, but nothing too major. I keep life pretty small. I have to actually, I''m chronically ill and I have my limitations.

It''s the people around me that are getting to me. The most major source of emotional stress has been my mom. I''m so completely worried about her. Her husband committed suicide a few months ago and (of course) she isn''t handling it well. There is more to the story though, they were alcoholics together. They were so embroiled in the disease that they thought they ''were doing well'' when they switched from hard liquor to wine. After her husband died, she stopped drinking for a time. That time is over. Drinking is in full swing and worse than ever. I''m afraid she''s going to drink herself to death over this pain. I just don''t know what to do.

My step sister told me the other day that she called my mom one evening and they had an entire conversation where my mom was so drunk, she thought she was talking to my aunt! My mom has also cussed people out (while drunk) and drunk dialed too many others.

Here''s the thing, she thinks she''s sly about her drinking. She''ll call you drunk as can be one evening and the next morning, act as if nothing happened! She''s closeted about it, even though she''s been through rehab in the past and everyone knows she drinks!

I''m just so afraid. I''m not really sleeping because I don''t want to lose her, but I don''t know what to say to her either. I know addicts too, saying something doesn''t really DO anything anyway. My therapist says I need alanon, but I have a hard time seeing how they can help me. I feel like our situation is unique due to the suicide. I feel like I need to be there for my mom''s pain and help her in any way I can. I don''t feel like I can draw hard boundaries on her right now...she''s too raw. She needs too much. Then there is the other side of me that feels that this family enabled one person into his grave and I don''t want to do it to another!

Not sure what I''m looking for. Maybe it''s just good to vent. Thanks for reading.
Don''t forget that every situation is unique.

I wish you peace. Your mother has her life and if she destroys it you cannot stop her, you can only limit the impact you allow it to have on YOUR family''s lives.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Oh, HC, I''m so sorry you''re dealing with this.

I''ll 3rd or 4th the AlAnon suggestion. As Steal said, every situation is unique, and there may be nobody that has gone through your situation, but many have seen a loved one drink after a traumatizing loss. I do think that it''ll help you find ways to emotionally separate yourself and keep yourself healthy - you don''t have to drink to have your life ruined by this disease.

*big hugs*

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''re right, every situation is unique. I guess it was kind of arrogant of me to think they weren''t, huh? Thank you for helping me to see this. I''m going to go this week. Alanon has a database that helps you to find meetings, I''ve found a few that work with my schedule. I''ve heard so much about it in the past that I''ve already made assumptions, but I think I need to JUST GO!

I can feel myself starting to get depressed over this, a clear indicator that I need all of the help I can get. I think losing my step dad and fearing the loss of others isn''t really working for my psyche.
7.gif
Thanks again everyone.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
So sorry HC, it''s a hard road, one that is very bumpy at times. And you have health issues on top which surely has to be rough. I think alanon will be a great help to you. It was a big help to me many years ago. Seeing a therapist is also something that might help you. You have a full plate, and maybe some special counseling just one on one might be a good idea.

Anyway, wishing you all the best going forward. Sending you a gentle hug.

I can relate to your post. More than you know.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat, all I can tell you is that Alanon saved my life. I'm glad you've decided to give it a try.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
How are you doing?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results