shape
carat
color
clarity

A vent and quest for long sleeves!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Why does it seem every freaking bridal gown manufactor makes nothing but strapless, halter or otherwise sleeveless gowns????? I''m not a size 2, nor do I feel the need to have most of my body from the boobs up on display on my wedding day! Where are the gowns with sleeves??? WHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Okay, vent over. If any of you can suggest a designer that has gowns under $1,000 with sleeves, let me know.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Melissa,

Can you try a bolero to make you more comfortable? That way you can find any style and you''ll get sleeves too. Also a lot of LDS bridal gowns have sleeves and are more modest but still very beautiful (not dowdy at all).

Just a thought!!! I''ll see if I can dig up any designs. Good luck!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pronovias, La Sposa, and San Patrick sell beautiful boleros with their gowns. The bolero that came with my gown retailed for $70, but the bridal shop gave me a deal and it came to $40.

You might find a gown in one of those lines within your price range, but if not, you should keep their boleros in mind.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Well...right now, sleeves aren''t "in" and the trends dictate what the designer creates. Are you planning on a "traditional" white wedding gown? If not, and this may be off the wall, but may MOB dresses come in shades of ivory or silver or champagne and many of those do have sleeves of one form or another. This might be something to look into...for one, MOB dresses come in at a lower price point than a "wedding gown" and many are just as lovely.

However, you could pick any dress and for a fee the seamstress could create sleeves.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
You'll want to look for bridal lines that have "temple ready" collections. Many faiths don't allow shoulders to be on view in their places of worship-so believe it or not there are plenty of dresses for this situation.

IIRC Jasmine Bridal has a nice selection of affordable temple ready gowns.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What happened to your old dress? I thought you had found the perfect dress already?
33.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s not a bridal gown thing, it''s a formalwear thing. The truth is that the vast majority of formal gowns of ANY kind are varying degrees of sleeveless. I can think of many practical reasons for this, but it''s mostly a fashion thing.

A fantastic option is to find a strapless dress you love, and add a lace/taffeta/silk/whatever jacket or bolero. Problem solved.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2009 12:59:46 AM
Author: FrekeChild
What happened to your old dress? I thought you had found the perfect dress already?
33.gif
That was for a different wedding, I think... right?

lulu

Ideal_Rock
There are a lot of them online. Just google "wedding dress with sleeves". Of course, you can''t just walk in and try them on.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Musey is right...it was purchased for someone else to see me in, and I''m not able to get past that thought. It sucks because I keep going back to that gown in my mind. Dave has already seen me in it because I had him watch the children for one of the fittings, and he came in as I had it on. We''re both superstitious that way, so I really don''t want to wear it anymore. It''s probably the most unique wedding gown I''ve ever seen, and was so flattering on me too.
7.gif

However, I did find a strapless gown from Mon Cheri that I think would look stunning with a bolero, so I''m going to a salon that carries it on Wednesday. I''ll let you know what I find. The one that I was planning on having reconstructed I''m not sure about. Yes it has sleeves, but I still can''t help but wonder if I''m not "settling" on a gown. I didn''t settle on a groom...I want my gown to be just as special.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Pronovias makes a bunch with sleeves actually. Definitely not under $1,000, but maybe you could go to a trunk show or get a used one.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure your desired style/size at all, but are you open to pre-owned dresses? If so, preownedweddingdresses.com has some, and at much lower prices than out of a salon. I did an advanced search, only with the keyword "sleeves" and came up with a few I thought are beautiful... I'm actually loving these! (I'm getting married this winter, and looked for a while at long sleeved-dresses. I settled on a strapless one at Brides Against Breast Cancer, but I've currently got a thread going on my search for some outerwear, haha, so I'm on the hunt as well!)

I think this is gorgeous: http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/7724/Allure-8524-Size-10.html

Very pretty: http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/10620/Amsale--Size-8.html

Oh my, gorgeous gold - never been worn: http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/6419/Christina-Wu--Size-8.html

Lacy, sheer train: http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/9602/Demetrios--Size-8.html

Beautiful: http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/7665/Jessica-McClintock---Size-6.html

Bell sleeves? Never been worn: http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/8708/Jim-Hjelm-Visions-Size-8.html

ETA: I just re-read your post, and you didn't actually say "long" sleeves - are you open to short sleeves, or even just cap sleeves?

katamari

Ideal_Rock
If you google "modest wedding dresses" you will find several sites that cater to LDS brides wanting temple-appropriate gowns. One of my LDS friends shopped this way because she could only buy a sleeved gown for her wedding. Most of these sites are incredibly affordable, too.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
My gown is a Casablanca - style 1942 - and it has cap sleeves that cover my shoulders and was less than $1k. What was also great - they do a custom hem for no extra cost and I was able to have it custom to my measurements for an extra $70 - and it was still under $1k! Good luck!

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure what exactly you''re looking for, but my dress was very modest. If you scroll down here you can see the dress...

http://www.pricescope.com/forum/op-requested/got-pictures-back-t120111.html

I got my dress from a woman who specifically caters to Orthodox Jewish brides. She carries Jasmine dresses and through their "temple-ready" collections she orders modest versions of regular strapless dresses according to the specifications of each bride.

My dress was particularly modest (even more so than I would have chosen) because of family/community expectations, etc. I know temple ready versions of dresses can go anywhere from cap sleeves and low cut to long sleeves and high neck.

Good luck - I know how hard it is to find modest wedding dresses!
1.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Casablanca can add sleeves. It does cost extra, but we recently had a bride order gown 1904 with elbow length sleeves and it was gorgeous.

When ordering the gown your store can tell them what you''re looking for, the send a sketch, you okay it, and then they start production.

Otherwise, a lot of dresses can look so cute with a bolero. Maggie Sottero''s new line has a lot of fab jackets and boleros!

Hope this helps!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have an answer for you, but I just wanted to say I love your new avatar picture!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results