shape
carat
color
clarity

A Unicorn of a Different Shape - Same 20K but Not Round

Too Realistic

Rough_Rock
Sorry for all who responded to the round diamond thread! The shape change came unexpectedly!

Hi!
I've been lurking for many months and the time is finally here! I am tasked with finding a couple of 2 carat princess diamonds for my "I'm too busy and you know you want to do it anyway" son to choose from for his big ask.
Her most important thing is sparkle.
His is cut and carat. He wants an excellent cut (to get that sparkle) and it has to be 2 carats (not 1.98 - 2). There is also a prohibition on frozen spit - lol!
The budget is $20,000 stone only.

Am I looking for a unicorn, or can this be a real thing? How do you know a princess is a good one?

Thank you so much if you can help!

Jr3

Rough_Rock
I would contact Leon Mege and Brian Gavin diamonds! Best of luck!!!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
For easy shopping, Whiteflash has ACA princess stones. Just check in house when you search. Those have all been vetted. It's really your preference on specs.

He can get a 2 carat princess in H color for under $15k. Princess is not as expensive per carat.

I see nothing that is not virtual inventory at Brian Gavin.

You can search for princess cuts elsewhere too, but Whiteflash does make it easy.

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she likes square, has she seen Asschers?

Or the Octavia?

Would she be open to MMD...?

If so, you would have to speak to @Simple and Sparkly privately re: costs or just email Yoram direct. but you might be able to get a Yoram stone with the budget...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yorams-first-mmd-my-octavia.260986/

(Mildred is not a MMD but Yoram might well cut in MMD if you ask!)

(If you do want to go MMD, this thread will have to move to the Lab Grown section of the forum!)

Last edited:

Too Realistic

Rough_Rock
Did he say WHY the change in shape? Princess cut is not one I would necessarily choose for "sparkle"
I just looked at the white flash ones and they seem to sparkle. Is there a better 2nd choice shape? I’m not 100% sure why the change - I think maybe her friends all have round?

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry for all who responded to the round diamond thread! The shape change came unexpectedly!

Hi!
I've been lurking for many months and the time is finally here! I am tasked with finding a couple of 2 carat princess diamonds for my "I'm too busy and you know you want to do it anyway" son to choose from for his big ask.
Her most important thing is sparkle.
His is cut and carat. He wants an excellent cut (to get that sparkle) and it has to be 2 carats (not 1.98 - 2). There is also a prohibition on frozen spit - lol!
The budget is $20,000 stone only.

Am I looking for a unicorn, or can this be a real thing? How do you know a princess is a good one?

Thank you so much if you can help!

A 2ct round will be about 8mm diameter.
A 2 ct Asscher is around 7mm and definitely won't look as big as a 2 ct RB, definitely deep and has "small" face-uo size for 2 cts worth.
A 2 ct princess in the ACA line also seems to be about 6.88 or 6.9 to 7 mm, but if you bezel that it will look positively huge.
Color: A princess is going to show more tint than a round, in my experience. I looked at a Hearts On Fire Dream diamond and it was probably 1.5ct and I color, but I could see the obvious ivory tint in it from 3 feet away.

Jr3

Rough_Rock
For easy shopping, Whiteflash has ACA princess stones. Just check in house when you search. Those have all been vetted. It's really your preference on specs.

He can get a 2 carat princess in H color for under $15k. Princess is not as expensive per carat.

I see nothing that is not virtual inventory at Brian Gavin.

You can search for princess cuts elsewhere too, but Whiteflash does make it easy.

I agree, I did not even think of whiteflash.. silly of me, I have not seen their ACA princesses but I bet they are probably some of the most beautiful you can get.

Bez ambar would also be good for princesses as well! I'm thinking they would be pricier than whiteflash though

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice princess ( I would stick to round unless she decided she wanted something different)
Nice round

Here is a comparison of the princess above with a 2 carat round (the round that I posted above is actually bigger).
Capture.PNG

Jr3

Rough_Rock
I just looked at the white flash ones and they seem to sparkle. Is there a better 2nd choice shape? I’m not 100% sure why the change - I think maybe her friends all have round?

Those royal asschers are exquisite. I used to have a princess 3 stone and it is pretty but not well cut diamonds and I always found myself wishing I had not chose that ring. Asschers are much more timeless, emeralds are even more beautiful in my oppinion as well. Might be a good idea for them to sit on the shape decision a bit before jumping on anything. Rounds are very, VERY timeless. I only advocate sitting on the shape decision because I wish I would have, and it is a massive purchase:)

Jr3

Rough_Rock
I also agree about the Mmd idea. Ada diamonds has lovely stones, great prices AND lifetime upgrade policy so she could change shapes one day if she wanted even, and I believe they offer a buy back guarentee too.

Estrella185

Rough_Rock
If she wants something different from her friends but still classic with sparkle ... a cushion could work. It’s like if a round and princess had a baby lol. They still have the soft edges of a round but still face up a smidge less than a round. Hope you find what you’re looking for! Congrats in advance :appl:

Jr3

Rough_Rock
If she wants something different from her friends but still classic with sparkle ... a cushion could work. It’s like if a round and princess had a baby lol. They still have the soft edges of a round but still face up a smidge less than a round. Hope you find what you’re looking for! Congrats in advance :appl:

That is a great idea, and can choose between a sort of crushed ice cushion, brian gavin has those hearts and arrows cushions and something along the lines of an antique cushion!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OEC? Authentic or AVR/CEC?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question for the OP, what is the likelihood for your future DIL to change her mind with regard to the shape of her diamond, as she has already changed her mind once in short notice?

It sounded like her choice is more driven by her social group and perhaps peer pressure, and the need to stand out etc., than personal likes and dislikes.

Good luck with your search, just hope you don't fall out with your son and future DIL for making the wrong choice for them!

DK :))

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this 2.001ct G-VS2 ACA Princess from WF - it faces up quite square and is very clean - and just under the $20K budget!
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-4141854.htm

The other 2ct princess option at WF is an 2.03ct H-SI1 ACA Princess - to me it faces up slightly rectangular - and based on the video not as clean as the G-VS2 (though may be unnoticeable IRL without a loupe) - comes in under $15K
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-4226633.htm

I think a 2 carat super-ideal-cut princess-cut diamond facing up apx 7mm will be amazingly beautiful whether set as a solitaire or in a more elaborate setting.

Like others, I suggest very strongly you not second-guess the switch in diamond shape but pass on your best recommendations and remain a willing and helpful ally in the search for the ER :)

sds061

Rough_Rock
Just my 2 cents...I started with a princess cut and I upgraded to a round because rounds tend to sparkle a lot more..IMO. I was told princess cuts do not sparkle as much as a round because the facets within the princess are longer than the rounds...Not sure if that is true. My SIL wanted the square shape but liked the sparkle of the round so my brother purchased a round diamond and had it set in a cushion shaped halo...Just a thought.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i realize this is just a wee bit above the 20k budget AND it is not a princess cut. BUT it is, to my eyes, FAR more beautiful than a princess cut. the avc in this carat weight and this color is definitely a unicorn, though

a consideration for you, could be, to put the stone is a super simple, inexpensive setting for a year or two and then upgrade into the setting of your dreams, for an anniversary or birthday or christmas ... that way you have a bit more upward wiggle room in your 20k budget for just the stone

Kya

Shiny_Rock
i realize this is just a wee bit above the 20k budget AND it is not a princess cut. BUT it is, to my eyes, FAR more beautiful than a princess cut. the avc in this carat weight and this color is definitely a unicorn, though

a consideration for you, could be, to put the stone is a super simple, inexpensive setting for a year or two and then upgrade into the setting of your dreams, for an anniversary or birthday or christmas ... that way you have a bit more upward wiggle room in your 20k budget for just the stone

OMG that IS gorgeous

Kya

Shiny_Rock
So my thought here is to really be sure to purchase from somewhere that has a trade up policy.

Because as fast as we went from round to princess, the shape can fall out of favor for a different one.

I particularly love what @marymm posted! Definitely excellent choices for a forever stone!

A tip I heard from a jeweler a while back is to incorporate round stones in the setting to add that extra sparkle you get from the rounds. That way you have the gorgeous princess cut but still have the scintillation only a round can give off.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Also to remember a princess cut isn’t as carefree as a round as the corners can chip more easily than a girdle on a round stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results