color
clarity

A tribute to brooches and pins

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Just the one (which is currently for sale on LT, if anyone is interested). Purchased from another lovely PS-er to convert to a pendant, but Covid has changed my plans.

P1 20200928_123630.jpg

itskcc

Rough_Rock
Yay - a brooch thread! I inherited this beauty from my mother in law who received it as a gift from her parents on her wedding day, November 3, 1956. It can be worn as a brooch or a necklace and I just adore it.

IMG_7656.jpg IMG_7491.jpg

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Love that idea !

The leather bracelet is too thick to pin the brooch down so I have ordered a velvet bracelet to try it with. So excited to wear it like this. In the meantime I will have to look for a really nice watch chain to go with it. I bought an 18ct gold chain but it was way too yellow to go with the brooch. I didn't expect an antique to be so white and bright lol.

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
@itskcc what a beautiful brooch. I saw one just like it but in sapphires a day or two ago on 1stDibs. It was from 1960 and by Oscar Heyman. Do you see any markings on yours? That would be the icing on the cake.

itskcc

Rough_Rock
Ooooh! @aac2013 I'll go take a look for hallmarks, thank you! I found the listing on 1stDibs. My mother in law had 3 circle brooches in her collection, the emerald one that I got and 2 sapphire ones that look just like the Oscar Heyman. My father in law gave her the first one for their 10th anniversary and then another one about 20yrs later. He totally forgot she already had the sapphire one. lol. I guess that's what happens when you're married for decades!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The leather bracelet is too thick to pin the brooch down so I have ordered a velvet bracelet to try it with. So excited to wear it like this. In the meantime I will have to look for a really nice watch chain to go with it. I bought an 18ct gold chain but it was way too yellow to go with the brooch. I didn't expect an antique to be so white and bright lol.

How did the velvet bracelet work for you? If you liked it can you share the vendor? Thanks.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just received this one a few days ago, I really love it! I louped the diamond and I do believe it is an an tiny OEC! I can wear it as a pin or necklace as there is a bale on the back! The dimension are 1”x1” and perfect size for wearing as a pendant! A470CB4A-8DF8-4A47-ABDC-A79A0C3458FD.jpeg

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
How did the velvet bracelet work for you? If you liked it can you share the vendor? Thanks.

It worked so much better. Let me show you.

20201120_181307.jpg

Here is the velvet bracelet and the pin on the brooch fits in nicely since its very thin. Once secured it looks fabulous.

I bought the velvet bracelet on Etsy. I found a local Aussie that makes them.

I got the 16mm wide option, it was a choker but I asked them to make a shorter length for me at 19cm or 7.5 inches. It worked perfectly.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It worked so much better. Let me show you.

20201120_181307.jpg

Here is the velvet bracelet and the pin on the brooch fits in nicely since its very thin. Once secured it looks fabulous.

I bought the velvet bracelet on Etsy. I found a local Aussie that makes them.

I got the 16mm wide option, it was a choker but I asked them to make a shorter length for me at 19cm or 7.5 inches. It worked perfectly.

Thank you for responding. Really appreciate you including the mm so I can hunt for something similar local. Your brooch looks AMAZING as a bracelet!! So elegant!!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for responding. Really appreciate you including the mm so I can hunt for something similar local. Your brooch looks AMAZING as a bracelet!! So elegant!!

Thank you!! I should actually wear it more like this. I love wearing the brooch as a pendant but hate the pokey feeling on my skin. Also on a chain it tends to flip as well which is kinda annoying. Too bad it's harder to wear as a bracelet as there aren't many occasions that call for that much wrist bling. Thankfully there are lots of options for this piece - maybe as a brooch LOL.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Just received this one a few days ago, I really love it! I louped the diamond and I do believe it is an an tiny OEC! I can wear it as a pin or necklace as there is a bale on the back! The dimension are 1”x1” and perfect size for wearing as a pendant! A470CB4A-8DF8-4A47-ABDC-A79A0C3458FD.jpeg

@Crazie4Cuts , I have read that these pins with a flower nestled in a crescent moon were called "honeymoon pins" and were popular gifts to a bride. This one's a beauty.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Crazie4Cuts , I have read that these pins with a flower nestled in a crescent moon were called "honeymoon pins" and were popular gifts to a bride. This one's a beauty.

@glitterata Thank you so much! I didn’t know that! I really love it and it is unusual piece for me. I don’t usually purchase Victorian brooches/pins, but this One spoke to me! I like wearing as a pendant though!

-C4C

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It would look lovely as a brooch! How about asking Jack to make it for you? :)

Definatly worth getting a quote

Ive desided this is going to be my first 'me' purchase (its been a while) when im working again

How long are the earings not including the earwire part ?
( no panic, just when you have time)

Is it ok if i send your photo of them hooked into your jersey for my inspiration photo ?
please

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what's the difference between a pin and a brooch
i keep thinking hat pins :lol-2:

IMHO, and I could be wrong, a pin is sharp at one end without being attached to anything, requiring an end cap to prevent injury, as in a hat pin with an end cap.

The pin of a brooch is hinged at one end/side, for the sharp end to be secured in the catch across the other end/side of the brooch.

Hope this makes sense.

DK :))

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Definatly worth getting a quote

Ive desided this is going to be my first 'me' purchase (its been a while) when im working again

How long are the earings not including the earwire part ?
( no panic, just when you have time)

Is it ok if i send your photo of them hooked into your jersey for my inspiration photo ?
please

Sure, you can use the photo! They are about 3 1/2 cm without the hook and pearl, and 4.7 with the pearl. Just so you know, the pearl isn’t the highest quality, but maybe he can source a better one for you?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are costume pieces allowed please, TIA?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry the pictures are so huge. My only antique gold brooch that I wear on a silk cord when I wear it. It has a small mine cut diamond/rubies and opens up to give the message "Everthine."

004.JPG

005.JPG

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMHO, and I could be wrong, a pin is sharp at one end without being attached to anything, requiring an end cap to prevent injury, as in a hat pin with an end cap.

The pin of a brooch is hinged at one end/side, for the sharp end to be secured in the catch across the other end/side of the brooch.

Hope this makes sense.

That's a very clear explanation
thank you DK

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sure, you can use the photo! They are about 3 1/2 cm without the hook and pearl, and 4.7 with the pearl. Just so you know, the pearl isn’t the highest quality, but maybe he can source a better one for you?

That sounds an excellent size for a brooch especially mounted like how you arranged it on your jersey
Thank you for taking the time to measure

Ill probably just risk it with his pearls as is
As I see his pearl is drilled all the way through and i have a lot of pearl projects on my wish list so im bound to have a few spair pearls if the quality isnt to my liking

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay - a brooch thread! I inherited this beauty from my mother in law who received it as a gift from her parents on her wedding day, November 3, 1956. It can be worn as a brooch or a necklace and I just adore it.

IMG_7656.jpg IMG_7491.jpg

This is beautiful! How did I miss this?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results