shape
carat
color
clarity

A thread about political correctness and publishing . . .

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: A thread about political correctness and publishing . .

Well, the hubs and I had a roarin' discussion (not a fight guys, just my way of saying interesting) last night about this. He is FOR it. You could'a knocked me down, seriously. His agreement with the idea came from trying to teach using "The Autogiography of Malcolm X". His observation was that he was never ever able to get the kids past the word. Ever. No matter how he addressed it. He said his kids, (and understand that he is serving in an inner-city, highly urban, poor environment) go from zero to being blown up, in a heartbeat. They tend to extemes of reaction. He thought that that book, and Twain, are so good and have so much to offer, and wonders why that word is so important. He pointed out that Twain was also a speaker, and as such would have changed wording on the fly for the sensibilites of his audience. He wondered if Twain would have used that word today. Of course we'll never know.

I considered this for a while - why I'm so against it. I object to censorship on a philosophical level. I object to works of art, of social commentary - being edited. Finally, I offered up that if his kids, for whatever reason, are unable to get past that word in a period work like Twain's, then perhaps they should not use him, and should use other sources to teach from, since commentary and material from that era is hardly lacking. I basically responded with why is Twain so great a teaching tool that only IT must be used (and edited) when other sources can accomplish the same thing?

Now, he admitted he WAS trying to use Malcolm X in middle school, which had my jaw drop a bit, (he was new at the time) and they AIN'T highschool. So he admitted that he didn't know how the kids he teaches now would react. He also would not be using Twain as lit - being a history teacher, but a friend of his does teach it as lit, so we're going to ask her how her kids react currently.

Interesting evening. It's why I love him so much. Keeps me entertained and challenged.... ;))

swimmer

Ideal_Rock

Your hubs has a point. If the kids just shut down at it...well, that is a great reason. A friend of mine who teaches middle school in TN is pumped that she can get an edited version for her classroom so that the parents don't freak out. Well, you have to know your population.

I use excerpts from http://www.amazon.com/Nigger-Strange-Career-Troublesome-Word/dp/0375713719 regularly in a senior elective.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

swimmer|1294403235|2816581 said:
Your hubs has a point. If the kids just shut down at it...well, that is a great reason. A friend of mine who teaches middle school in TN is pumped that she can get an edited version for her classroom so that the parents don't freak out. Well, you have to know your population.

I use excerpts from http://www.amazon.com/Nigger-Strange-Career-Troublesome-Word/dp/0375713719 regularly in a senior elective.

Yes, but I'm going to shoot back at him with the question of how allowing this editing of a classic work for someone's sensibilities, does not just hammer home the dumbing down he decries on a daily basis. In essence, we tell kids (and I'm talking highschool here) that the world revolves around them (again), is going to continually change just to accomodate THEM, and that they are too infantile to handle reality, that they can't handle anything that challenges them. I know if I were a teen, I'd be insulted by that implication, but maybe teens today are different? Again, I would say that if they aren't mature enough to handle the word in the context of a book, then we just need to not use the book until they are. Say age 40? Maybe?

swimmer

Ideal_Rock

Fair enough. But we all have to pick our battles. If getting an 8th grader to read a book, the first book he/she has ever read is the challenge? Well, then also getting them to get over the language is yet another obstacle. And quite frankly, I try to fight only three major battles at once. Four and you just get spread too thinly. So for example, I choose to make spelling not count in the remedial classes since I'm just trying to get them to write something and if I count spelling against them they will shut down and not write at all. I mark the correct way to spell the word and hope that they eventually learn it while practicing writing.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

Elrohwen|1294236368|2814813 said:
ForteKitty|1294191123|2814452 said:
The n word makes us uncomfortable because it was a very bad time in our history. By removing it from literature of that period, it's like pretending it didn't happen. Their intention may have been about political correctness, but i dont think it helps our society as a whole when future generations forget about what really happened.

+1
I totally agree. Has anyone here watched The Wire? One of the arguably best series to be on television uses the N word, the K word, and many others to describe the reality of living and working in the drug world in the projects. Sometimes we need to speak the truth instead of being politically correct.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results