shape
carat
color
clarity

A thought about Hangout and how it used to be...

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I cast my vote to stay in Hangout. As people say, "Politics is messy" , but it is the idea of a democratic society that makes our country wonderful. In our time we have a change coming that may effect our entire futures. We ought to discuss and keep abreast of what is going on in the Gov't. We ought not hide away because some wish not to see discord or unpleasantness. Yes, I am for political discussion as everything else we value comes from it. This includes the well being of our families, our friends and our country. It teaches us values, or it has in the past. It need not stay the same, but we need a watchful eye on our future.

Annette

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also vote to keep political threads in Hangout.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ericad|1485105246|4118076 said:
To me, Hangout should be a reflection of whatever people what to talk about which isn't covered by the jewelry sub-forums. I often see many Family/Home/Healthy Lifestyle/Shopping threads posted in hangout, and not in PS Cafe - people don't take the time to search through the underlying drop downs - put politics in there and it will lack visibility, and then the mods will need to also better police Hangout and move anything related to family/health/home/shopping to its appropriate spot in Cafe - what would be left lol? I don't see that really happening now, so only the politics threads would get policed, which would be unfair. The more complex the hierarchy, the less people will participate.

I regularly skip right on past thread titles that don't interest me. That's much simpler than having to search 7 different sub-forums for something of interest. I'm more into inclusion than divisiveness and Hangout has always been a reflection of what's going on in the media, the popular culture and the world.

If people really want separation, my suggestion is to replace the word "Cafe" with "Hangout", eliminating hangout as it's own forum, and then have Hangout sub-forums for everything, including politics and threads asking for prayers. Like Family, Health, Home, Shopping, Prayer/Healing, Politics, Pets, In the News, Entertainment, etc. That way, for every new thread one must decide what section it belongs in (omit all vague or "catch all" forums), and when we want to read in Hangout, we can go to the subject matter that interests us.

The alternative, to me, would be to eliminate all of the Cafe sub-forums and just put everything non-jewelry into a catch all forum called "Hangout". By eliminating the sub-forums, there will be lots for people to scroll through and choose from.

Every time there is a push to move political topics somewhere where people who don't want to see them, won't have to, I think of The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy".

I shall have to paraphrase a bit...(My deepest apologies to the departed Douglas Adams. ;-) )

“But the political forum was on the site…”
“On the site? I eventually had drill down to a 5th level sub-forum to find it.”
“Well, yes, that’s the politics forum.”
“With two separate passwords, and an image captcha.”
“Ah, well, we never got the third password implemented.”
“Then the screen blacked out for 10 minutes.”
“But look, you found the forum, didn’t you?”
“Yes, yes I did. It finally loaded in plain dark grey text on black, with a flashing red pop-up window that said ‘Beware of the Leopard.’, and then asked for my financial information.”

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1485113302|4118121 said:
I also vote to keep political threads in Hangout.

I suggested this before. Can't some threads be combined?

Do we really need a daily Trumpet thread? Just post to the existing one.

This way you can post what you want and the people who do not like political threads or Trump supporters don't feel like they are constantly being shoved in our faces or are being done to cause trouble?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I liked the idea of putting Political at the beginning of political threads. Easy for those who don't want to go to political threads to ignore the thread. I love Matata daily Trumpet threads. If you don't want to open a political thread one would think the title Daily Trumpet would be a pretty good clue it's political.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
E B|1485034764|4117720 said:
For those who were around during the PS purge of topics we were now no longer allowed to discuss (ATW included), they'll remember that's when participation really dropped. I really only come here for the politics now, but back then, it seemed a lot more dead than it does now.

Someone mentioned that there was 30-odd percent political topics on the front page-- that doesn't seem like it's excessive to me based on what I see elsewhere (but I know, people vary! :cheeky:).

If by participation do you mean the same handful who post here? Yes there are a lot more posts from those same few.

But if you are referring to all the Pricescopers who used to post here and are now staying away, then yes participation has dropped significantly.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ericad|1485108608|4118099 said:
PS - I just noticed that Hangout is actually called "Diamond Hangout" which confuses me even more...

Well, if we are now going to start criticizing the names of fora, why is "Rocky Talky" called "Rocky Talky"? It reminds me of the way the screenwriters in "South Pacific" have the indigenous island people speak.* It sounds like broken English, for the love of Pete!

Deb

*Remember "Happy Talky Talk"?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1485113768|4118126 said:
I liked the idea of putting Political at the beginning of political threads. Easy for those who don't want to go to political threads to ignore the thread. I love Matata daily Trumpet threads. If you don't want to open a political thread one would think the title Daily Trumpet would be a pretty good clue it's political.

IMO, just seeing them everyday can be off putting.

And Yes, I am aware you can avoid them.

Question: We can put certain people on ignore, but what about words.

If I could block the word Trumpet, that would work for me.

E B

Ideal_Rock
All due respect, ruby, it sounds like you just don't want to see anti-Trump threads. First, it was "can we condense Trump topics?" and now, that there IS a condensed Trump topic (which she doesn't post daily, btw, even if she does label the date she creates it), it's "I don't want to see the word Trumpet," assuming any Trump threads are just meant to "start trouble." Not exactly a reason to ban it/them. Having multiple threads for accessories/pets/photos/personal experiences and just one for everything political/Trump related would be a little crazy.

Trumpet's pretty clever, actually, as it means "to proclaim widely." It's punny.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If one likes a lot of mindless arguing with people who have a lot of anger and very little real desire to delve into political issues, keeping politics here is the answer. That keeps the drama in threads, that's for sure. It also keeps the discussions going. Sometimes that makes for better discussions; sometimes it makes for shallow, stupid threads with exchanges that are without any intellectual value.

If one is ready to give up activity on the forum in order to have more meaningful discussion, then we should return to a closed forum where people need to have been present on Pricescope for a prescribed length of time. It will prevent people from entering just to have a little fun creating drama. The price will be that the discussions will move at a snail's pace. But they will be intellectual. It will also keep political threads far away from anyone who doesn't want to see them and rob anyone who doesn't want to see them of an excuse for complaining.

As I have said, I can live with either solution. The one solution I would hate to see is to have political discussion once again banned from Pricescope. We really should be able to handle this matter; this is a forum for adults.

AGBF

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
E B|1485114770|4118134 said:
All due respect, ruby, it sounds like you just don't want to see anti-Trump threads. First, it was "can we condense Trump topics?" and now, that there IS a condensed Trump topic (which she doesn't post daily, btw, even if she does label the date she creates it), it's "I don't want to see the word Trumpet," assuming any Trump threads are just meant to "start trouble." Not exactly a reason to ban it/them. Having multiple threads for accessories/pets/photos/personal experiences and just one for everything political/Trump related would be a little crazy.

Trumpet's pretty clever, actually, as it means "to proclaim widely." It's punny.

+1000. EB I love all your posts!!!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1485113422|4118122 said:
To me, Hangout should be a reflection of whatever people what to talk about which isn't covered by the jewelry sub-forums. I often see many Family/Home/Healthy Lifestyle/Shopping threads posted in hangout, and not in PS Cafe - people don't take the time to search through the underlying drop downs - put politics in there and it will lack visibility, and then the mods will need to also better police Hangout and move anything related to family/health/home/shopping to its appropriate spot in Cafe - what would be left lol? I don't see that really happening now, so only the politics threads would get policed, which would be unfair. The more complex the hierarchy, the less people will participate.

I regularly skip right on past thread titles that don't interest me. That's much simpler than having to search 7 different sub-forums for something of interest. I'm more into inclusion than divisiveness and Hangout has always been a reflection of what's going on in the media, the popular culture and the world.

If people really want separation, my suggestion is to replace the word "Cafe" with "Hangout", eliminating hangout as it's own forum, and then have Hangout sub-forums for everything, including politics and threads asking for prayers. Like Family, Health, Home, Shopping, Prayer/Healing, Politics, Pets, In the News, Entertainment, etc. That way, for every new thread one must decide what section it belongs in (omit all vague or "catch all" forums), and when we want to read in Hangout, we can go to the subject matter that interests us.

The alternative, to me, would be to eliminate all of the Cafe sub-forums and just put everything non-jewelry into a catch all forum called "Hangout". By eliminating the sub-forums, there will be lots for people to scroll through and choose from.

Every time there is a push to move political topics somewhere where people who don't want to see them, won't have to, I think of The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy".

I shall have to paraphrase a bit...(My deepest apologies to the departed Douglas Adams. ;-) )

“Yes, yes I did. It finally loaded in plain dark grey text on black, with a flashing red pop-up window that said ‘Beware of the Leopard.’, and then asked for my financial information.”

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

I do not want to see repetitive ones.

If you want to show disgusting pictures of Trump, do you have to have 10 different threads of them.

Does each trumpet need its own thread.

And sorry but if you think the poster who does this daily is doing it solely for altruistic reasons - then you believe that.
I am sure she is just waiting to see how the other side will react.

As for my changing comments- no one wants it to go to ATW - OK.

Try condensing them?

Still not good.

OK, what about letting individuals block words not to see them. This way we do not infringe on anyone else. Just trying to take the path of least resistance.

As far as me not seeing all Trump threads. I would be blocking Trumpet ones only.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1485115084|4118136 said:
If one is ready to give up activity on the forum in order to have more meaningful discussion, then we should return to a closed forum where people need to have been present on Pricescope for a prescribed length of time. It will prevent people from entering just to have a little fun creating drama. The price will be that the discussions will move at a snail's pace. But they will be intellectual. It will also keep political threads far away from anyone who doesn't want to see them and rob anyone who doesn't want to see them of an excuse for complaining.

As I have said, I can live with either solution. The one solution I would hate to see is to have political discussion once again banned from Pricescope. We really should be able to handle this matter; this is a forum for adults.
AGBF

Gosh, I forgot all about that. It reminded me also of the non public uber secret forum that no one knew existed unless you were granted admittance by the previous PS owners. I forget specifically how I got in, had something to do with me participating in a thread that got heated. I remember that there a few regular posters who I thought were poopheads from their postings on the regular forums but got to know them better and understand their positions once I was given access to the non public forum. I'm not suggesting we do that now. Just trying to clear up my foggy memory.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1485117429|4118156 said:
ksinger|1485113422|4118122 said:

Ah, a kindred spirit. ;))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to be clear, I am not sure anyone here has made the suggestion to hide the Politics forum. It can go at the top of the main menu above Rocky Talky if the moderators wish.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have often wished the old sub-forum was open. However, I wonder how slow "hangout" would be without them. I think PS slowed down a looooong time ago. If anything this election has drawn more threads. However, I totally get how stressful and aggressive they can quickly get.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF
Yeah, But most of the liberal here act like children... :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hangout has been slowing down in terms of participation long before political threads started peppering it daily. The Bride, Family, and other subforums used to be incredibly busy in the past. In short, overall participation in all forums has declined.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mwahahahahahahahahaha oh this is so rich.

The man won the stupid election, you can have that. You will never take away my memes!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1485117918|4118162 said:

If you want to show disgusting pictures of Trump, do you have to have 10 different threads of them.

And sorry but if you think the poster who does this daily is doing it solely for altruistic reasons - then you believe that.
Wrong. I think I made a cheeky comment directed to cheeto supports in the first Trumpet that probably knotted a few britches and if so, it was a failure at humor on my part. My purpose is to provide a venue to discuss issues and a place to vent for non cheeto supporters. The content also serves as a reminder of the consequences of our vote with which we all have to live. Who reads those discussions and how they react is not within my control.

Try condensing them?

Still not good.

OK, what about letting individuals block words not to see them. This way we do not infringe on anyone else. Just trying to take the path of least resistance.

As far as me not seeing all Trump threads. I would be blocking Trumpet ones only.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If one likes a lot of mindless arguing with people who have a lot of anger and very little real desire to delve into political issues, keeping politics here is the answer. That keeps the drama in threads, that's for sure. It also keeps the discussions going. Sometimes that makes for better discussions; sometimes it makes for shallow, stupid threads with exchanges that are without any intellectual value.

AGBF

Deb, this is a solution (or solutions), in search of a problem. Discomfort at seeing Trump threads is not a problem. Certainly not a problem that should result in upheaval or change on the part of everyone else.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Matata|1485119920|4118181 said:

Wrong. I think I made a cheeky comment directed to cheeto supports in the first Trumpet that probably knotted a few britches and if so, it was a failure at humor on my part. My purpose is to provide a venue to discuss issues and a place to vent for non cheeto supporters. The content also serves as a reminder of the consequences of our vote with which we all have to live. Who reads those discussions and how they react is not within my control.

Try condensing them?

Still not good.

No one taking away your right to post them. All I am asking is whyc an't you just add to a same subject existing thread.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1485118132|4118164 said:

AGBF

Gosh, I forgot all about that. It reminded me also of the non public uber secret forum that no one knew existed unless you were granted admittance by the previous PS owners. I forget specifically how I got in, had something to do with me participating in a thread that got heated. I remember that there a few regular posters who I thought were poopheads from their postings on the regular forums but got to know them better and understand their positions once I was given access to the non public forum. I'm not suggesting we do that now. Just trying to clear up my foggy memory.

I know where you are coming from, Matata. I get foggy, too. The Steam Room was the first, and secret, political discussion room. (I think.) Later Around The World was open only if one had been on Pricescope for a certain length of time-at least when it first opened-I believe. I was in on every single political forum and my memory is terrible, so they all blend together. Alj is great at piecing together the history. Perhaps she could shed light on what was what if she cared to (she has before).

My first reaction to any call to get rid of political threads (or to "consolidate" them) is why can't posters avoid them? I do not mean to criticize the posters who don't like them, especially thoughtful women like Sharon and diamondseeker, but since some people think they add value, I wonder why the threads are perceived as such a threat. Last night, however, I was pushed into the other camp. I became disgusted with the people who show up and start threads to start drama and then walk away, leaving chaos is their wake. (And I am not speaking of regulars like Matata who contribute intellectually to many threads.) I did not want to participate in any such threads myself and have decided that if there is an isolated political forum where attention seekers such as those who start those threads have no audience, we will be rid of them. I am willing to pay the price of a far smaller forum to have a more intellectual, less bombastic, forum where people do not generally need to swear or post in capital letters in order to make their points.

AGBF

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1485120205|4118184 said:

Try condensing them?

Still not good.

No one taking away your right to post them. All I am asking is whyc an't you just add to a same subject existing thread.

Because we aren't here to serve you. Want to post 10 pro Trump threads? Go for it! I'll ignore them (or argue willingly). Things won't change on a public forum just because they annoy you and you have to scroll a bit further down.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Try condensing them?

Still not good.

Because I don't want to. The main reason is that I find long running threads confusing to keep up with. Missy's is a good example. It's a terrific thread but scrolling through so much information and trying to keep discussions straight makes my head spin. Another reason is that political news dies a quick death and is usually relevant for a day or two so the Trumpet threads are obsolete within 48-72 hours. I think it's easier to let them fall farther down the current forum page until they disappear into the vast archive than try to manage a thread that could grow to a hundred pages.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
lovedogs|1485120595|4118190 said:

Try condensing them?

Still not good.

Because we aren't here to serve you. Want to post 10 pro Trump threads? Go for it! I'll ignore them (or argue willingly). Things won't change on a public forum just because they annoy you and you have to scroll a bit further down.

Did you not read the title of this thread. Did you not read my posts?

It is a discussion to improve this site. I am not asking for any type of service. Just giving my opinions, same as you.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1485120592|4118189 said:
Matata|1485118132|4118164 said:

AGBF

I know where you are coming from, Matata. I get foggy, too. The Steam Room was the first, and secret, political discussion room. (I think.) Later Around The World was open only if one had been on Pricescope for a certain length of time-at least when it first opened-I believe. I was in on every single political forum and my memory is terrible, so they all blend together. Alj is great at piecing together the history. Perhaps she could shed light on what was what if she cared to (she has before).

My first reaction to any call to get rid of political threads (or to "consolidate" them) is why can't posters avoid them? I do not mean to criticize the posters who don't like them, especially thoughtful women like Sharon and diamondseeker, but since some people think they add value, I wonder why the threads are perceived as such a threat. Last night, however, I was pushed into the other camp. I became disgusted with the people who show up and start threads to start drama and then walk away, leaving chaos is their wake. (And I am not speaking of regulars like Matata who contribute intellectually to many threads.) I did not want to participate in any such threads myself and have decided that if there is an isolated political forum where attention seekers such as those who start those threads have no audience, we will be rid of them. I am willing to pay the price of a far smaller forum to have a more intellectual, less bombastic, forum where people do not generally need to swear or post in capital letters in order to make their points.

AGBF

That has been irrelevant here for ages, since no one does that anymore, making the solution that would "get rid" of them irrelevant too.

As I said, a solution looking for a problem.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to see political posts have their own sub-forum. I find it disheartening that there are so many political threads in hangout. I wouldn't be surprised if it is bringing 'hangout' down. I don't read most of them but the times I have read them they seem to get pretty mean spirited pretty quickly. The political ones have a tone to me that says 'if you don't agree with me then you must be an idiot'.

I am weary of all of it on social media. Yes, I can scroll past all of them. There are so many that I think people just may not want to post other things here anymore. Hangout does not seem like a very friendly place any more and it doesn't seem to matter much what side of any issue you are on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results