carat
color
clarity

A Story for Holy Week.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

I wanted to post about something that happened to me recently. This week seems an appropriate time.

I don't drive anymore. Often, I take cabs, particularly when I go to the doctor. I never have trouble getting to the Doctor, but no cab-driver wants to go out of their main traffic area to come get me. So I must wait and hope someone comes and picks me up. On my last appointment, I waited two hours for my usual cab company to come. After receiving their assurances that they were coming for two hours, I called another cab company. It arrived and the driver helped me in the cab and then we started to chat. He was an immigrant from Kajekistan (SP). I have a handmade rug from there so I know the country he was speaking about. He rather suddenly declared, "I am a Muslim, and I want to do something for you. I will give you this taxi-ride for free". I wasn't sure I heard him correctly and said, "What?" He repeated what he said, for, as a Muslim he felt he wanted to do something good for someone, so he picked me. I am old, and don't look so good, and I thought that maybe I looked so poor that he felt I needed a free cab-ride. I softly protested, saying it was unnecessary and that I was not poor, so he didn't have to do this. His hands went up saying, no, no its not that I think you are poor. I just needed to do something for someone. Being poor had nothing to do with it.

He was about 60 yrs old. We stopped in my driveway, and he put his flag down and I asked what the fare was. He waved his hand again, NO, no. I explained to him I could not accept his kind act because I knew how hard he worked to make a living being a cabby. I could see he liked that. I did not want to steal his labor. I told him he gave me a wonderful gift anyway. A selfless act by a Muslim man is certainly something I will always remember. I admit he got a large tip for his thoughtfulness. I walked away feeling better about mankind. Now that is a gift, isn't it?

Annette

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@smitcompton, Thank you for sharing your wonderful and heartwarming story.
I echo @elle_71125 we need more stories like this.

I will share one. There is a woman who lives in Brooklyn who singlehandedly rescues so many kittens by taking them off the street, socializing them and finding good homes for them. She founded a rescue organization and truly works tirelessly for them. She has a full time job to support the cats (and herself) and she is truly selfless. She recently found and saved 9 newborn kittens from certain death. That is my heartwarming story for the day.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@smitcompton, Thank you for sharing your wonderful and heartwarming story.
I echo @elle_71125 we need more stories like this.

I will share one. There is a woman who lives in Brooklyn who singlehandedly rescues so many kittens by taking them off the street, socializing them and finding good homes for them. She founded a rescue organization and truly works tirelessly for them. She has a full time job to support the cats (and herself) and she is truly selfless. She recently found and saved 9 newborn kittens from certain death. That is my heartwarming story for the day.

How beautiful is that?! I follow a lot of cat fostering people on instagram and you can see just how much work it is to save and raise these kittens. That's why it's so important to spay & neuter your pets. Without amazing people like @missy (because I know you work very hard for the strays in your area) and her fostering friend, these animals wouldn't stand a chance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results