shape
carat
color
clarity

A rare find?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So today Mrs Jordy and I went for a day trip up to a place called Clunes; famous for being the first gold mining town in the state of Victoria. It is absolutely stunning with old buildings and a main strip that hasn't changed much since it was built 150 years ago. While we were there we went into an antiques store and had a look around at the collection with some old items that were still in fantastic condition. But at the front counter was something that caught our eyes; 2 Shakespeare books, circa 1700s. So they were potentially printed before the first fleet had even arrived in Australia. It was about $200USD for both books.

I am not one to collect antiques at all, but to me that seems insanely cheap for Shakespeare books that are over 200 years old? I know that manuscripts of that age go for a lot more but that still seems cheap to me for what they are? Can anyone shed some light on it for me?

TIA :wavey:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are whole forums dedicated to rare/old books! You should seek them out but not mention all the detail about the town and shop you saw them, so no-one can snatch them up ;-)

Did you get any photos of them? And/or the pages at the front with printing details?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are whole forums dedicated to rare/old books! You should seek them out but not mention all the detail about the town and shop you saw them, so no-one can snatch them up ;-)

Did you get any photos of them? And/or the pages at the front with printing details?

Unfortunately not, I don't think the store owner would have appreciated it! But he had details for the books on the sales tags which is where we got the details for the dates.

I am thinking about stopping by next time I am up that way again for my land surveyor job and if they are still there I will buy them. My wife loved them so if I surprise her with them she should be very happy. I will post some pics if I happen to buy them!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That would be very generous :)

I think it could be worthwhile doing research on what similar books are being sold for, so you can compare what you see online to the books in the shop and pay a price that is (hopefully) in line with what is available elsewhere!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Based on my extensive knowledge of rare books (20 years of watching Antiques Roadshow lol) there’s no way they would be real for that little money.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a lot of fraud in the antique book market. Be careful and do your homework before buying.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you @sonnyjane & @ceg, I have no idea on the value of those books. I will get some pics next time I am there for sure, might have to buy them simply for the fact that my wife loved them :mrgreen2:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Thank you @sonnyjane & @ceg, I have no idea on the value of those books. I will get some pics next time I am there for sure, might have to buy them simply for the fact that my wife loved them :mrgreen2:

The link Karl K posted is really good.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sooooo I went back and picked up Much Ado about nothing, printed 1765 which makes it older than modern day Australia. My wife absolutely adores it so the price was not an issue.

FB_IMG_1520724872773.jpg
FB_IMG_1520724878725.jpg FB_IMG_1520724895505.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If real it's quite a gem, so I'd send it to GIA for a report.

Then again, your cat doesn't seem terribly impressed.

Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 4.03.28 PM.png

Last edited:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@kenny I've been trying to show him what a good Opal looks like, he doesn't care. His whole world is food and bed cuddles :lol:

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so cool!!!!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I realized after I posted the reply that I should have been expecting a Kenny-type reply after I mentioned 'bed cuddles'

You did not disappoint :lol:

And the stage is set for another Kenny-type reply. :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results