shape
carat
color
clarity

A question for anyone interested...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

emhamm

Rough_Rock
So I bought a ring off ebay and went to have it sized at my local jeweler''s. He tells me he can''t size it because he will crush the filigree and on top of that he will only be able to go up a size at most. Is he right? Should I give up on this beautiful ring or find someone hours away who can help? Thanks to you all. Don''t worry, I won''t hold you liable
4.gif

filigree ring.JPG

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I went through the same thing recently. I bought this amazing ring on ebay and needed to size it up several sizes. My jeweler refused to touch it saying that it would crush the sapphires. I''ve since sold it as it is way too small for me to wear AT ALL.
39.gif

Here it is on the finger of the seller.

Good luck!

Lori

sappring.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Those are two lovely rings! A pity about the sizing issue.

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Looking at the picture of the ring, I don''t see why sizing it would be an issue. The bottom of the shank should be able to take some extra metal, it might require a new half shank too though. The design only goes down part way. I cant see how there would be any problem in going up a couple sizes. That is unless I am not seeing it right.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Filigree is made out of very thin wires that can even be bent using just fingers. So streaching or squeezing the metal that supports it would damage and deform those fine wires. I''m no jeweller, but I can understand why someone would refuse to do this.

If nothing, you have a lovely b-day/xmas gift for someone
2.gif

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t figure out if it is real filigree (in which case, I agree with ma re), or if it is a cast ring - in which case it should be feasible but it''s a reasonable amount of fuss, and probably your jeweller is afraid to quote you as much as you paid for the ring just to size it...

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Yup, looking at the photo, it could be cast so OMC could be right on why your jeweller wouldn''t do it.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a ring similar to the first one with a purple stone. The ring was too thin to size up the 3+ sizes I needed so the jeweller put a new shank on it. Crushing the filigree or the side stones was never mentioned as a concern and the ring came back in excellent condition.

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I don''t know what the concern on this one is too. The second one with the sapphires was a bit more understandable. I have re-sized many similar rings with no problems.

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The jeweler you went to is most likely trying to cover himself as he doesn''t want to end up damaging your ring for you. If I were you I would contact one other jeweler and if he says the same thing, then it may be a good idea to sell the ring even though you really like.

ajourklaus

Rough_Rock
This ring can be sized. No problem what so ever.

Find a capable jeweler that do their work in house.

Anything can be done. At the end its a matter of know how and budget.

emhamm

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your responses and your help! I am so grateful! What a great bunch you all are! I will get a second opinion with the jeweler in the next town (1 1/2 hours away) and see where that leads me. Thank you all again and have a wonderful week!
M
21.gif

emhamm

Rough_Rock
I am so sorry about that Lori, what a beautiful ring!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 9:11:51 PM
Author: emhamm
I am so sorry about that Lori, what a beautiful ring!
Thank you.....good luck with your beautiful ring!!!

Lori

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they don''t think they can do, consider taking photos and speaking to a jeweller who can (like Wink!). I paid a lot to have my ring shanked and resized, but it was worth it.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck to you, I hope that your can find someone to do it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results