shape
carat
color
clarity

a personal question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mochamamasita

Shiny_Rock

This is kind of a personal question, so I''ll understand if a lot of you guys don''t answer......

Anyways, I was reading that the average cost of an engagement is about $3,500-$4,000 and I was wondering how accurate that is. The ring I want is only $2,000 (because it has several small diamonds instead of one huge one), and I was wondering how much you guys’ dream engagement ring costs?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Don''t worry about the average cost of an engagement ring.
The right cost is what is affordable to you. Be it 1k or 100k.... it all varies!!

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
+1 ckrickett.

I think averages will vary based off a lot of things, age, income, where you live etc. When my FI was beginning his search, he focused only on his budget. I honestly have no idea what the average person where I live spends on an engagement ring. But I would guess that it would be in the range that you mentioned ( I do a lot of sneak peeking at other peoples rings, it''s a favorite pastime of mine!)

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Overall cost really depends on how you go about the whole process - beginning with where you obtain your stone from - whether you get a loose stone or a preset ring - the metal used in the band - name brand designer vs. independent etc.

In the end no one says to you "how much did that cost???" (or at least people with tact don''t) so it doesn''t matter if the ring you love is $100 or $100K. All that matters is that you LOVE it.

To answer your question my "dream ring" would probably would have cost about $17K+ because it was a Tacori setting (about $10K for the setting alone) and since Tacori won''t set anything below a specific color and grade, my center stone would have cost quite a bit more. I am not sure how much my ring actually cost as FI has kept that to himself but the appraisal is for $14K so I would guess he probably spent about $7-8K on the ring when all was said and done.

Prior to being presented with my dream ring, FI had purchased a decoy ring for me which cost about $1K and I LOVED it - did not matter to me the cost associated with the ring. I still love it. I wear it every day as a RHR and I was more than ready to wear it as my official engagement ring without any disappointment whatsoever.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 12:22:31 PM
Author: girlface
+1 ckrickett.

I think averages will vary based off a lot of things, age, income, where you live etc. When my FI was beginning his search, he focused only on his budget. I honestly have no idea what the average person where I live spends on an engagement ring. But I would guess that it would be in the range that you mentioned ( I do a lot of sneak peeking at other peoples rings, it''s a favorite pastime of mine!)
Off topic....
but your avatar.
I nearly fell out of my chair!

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
haha. Thanks Ckrickett! I love moose, and this one is smiling...lol

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 12:22:31 PM
Author: girlface
+1 ckrickett.

+ 1 more

to me, its the same one asking "where did you get it". regardless if it came from a family member, a mall store, a customer designer, etc. it only matters if YOU and your SO love the ring.

(fyi, kinda off topic but a bit funny regarding "maul" stores... all the tiffanys in my area are ALL in malls...so does that classify them as a "Maul"? just a thought
9.gif
)

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, so as everyone has mentioned, it really depends on A LOT of variables. However, for us, I *think* SO is planning on about $2500. I''d love to be able to get him to drop that amount so that we could get it sooner.
11.gif
I think it''s a pride thing for him though. He wants to prove to everyone that he can take care of me. (We''re a pretty traditional couple, so I see this as sweet...even though we both know I can take care of myself!
1.gif
)

BUT, you asked about my dream ring...my absolute, fulfill-all-my-fantasies-dream-ring, would probably be closer to $4000. Of course, it could always go up from there!
2.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/10/2009 12:06:52 PM
Author: ckrickett
Don''t worry about the average cost of an engagement ring.
The right cost is what is affordable to you. Be it 1k or 100k.... it all varies!!
ditto... You and your BF should just set a comfortable amount that you both could live with.

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
hmm i think i could probably get the ring of my **dreams** for about $15k

i dunno for sure cause i''m not engaged yet and he won''t tell me his budget... but I''ll make an educated guess that he''ll most likely spend around $4k-$5k
but let me tell you - i will be absolutely THRILLED with what he gives me. just because my *dream* ring may be quite a bit more than what I get doesn''t mean i''m not happy with what I get.

To me, a "dream ring" is a "dream ring" because it is slightly out of reach. otherwise it wouldn''t be a dream ring.. it''d be a reality ring. heehee :)

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
It''s all relative...my "dream ring" is actually my wedding band, and it cost about half what my e-ring did (though it''s almost twice the total carat weight). I love, love them together, and wouldn''t change a thing except to have the wedding sooner so I can wear them both!

thatsthegirl212

Rough_Rock
I have to admit I''m not the most knowledgeable when it comes to cost or anything but I do know that I love the asscher cut. A co-worker of mine has a 1 carat and it is stunning, such a beautiful ring! I think if I had to choose a ring I''d pick an Asscher in a simple solitaire. I don''t have any idea as to cost but I think a 1.5 carat would be nice!

KittyBling

Shiny_Rock
My ***DREAM*** ring would probably cost between £3000- £3,500 (around 5000-5500 USD).

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I''m guessing that average is probably right, once you average everything out.

My dream engagement ring -- jeez, that would be a fortune! I think I''d honestly be in the $30,000 range! However, what I''m hoping to get will be significantly more modest than that.
1.gif
The final price tag will be completely dependant on whether I get platinum or white gold.

I think it''s fabulous when everyone gets a lovely ring, in their price range, that represents good *value*. It makes me sad to see people spending thousands of dollars extra because they walk into a maul store and just pay what''s asked.

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
I think the average from my area would be roughly $3,000 [Retail: Roughly 0.50cts]

My dream ring would be my own with a slightly larger center stone.. but I would never upgrade, this ring has such setimental value to me.. I can''t even put it in to words... FI really couldn''t afford my ring, but he saved and saved and sacraficed alot of the little pleasures he enjoys- I could never part from this ring knowing that
1.gif

Bjedifish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Like most of these ladies stated already, it really depends. It doesn''t matter how much it costs! If its your dream ring and its 2000 bucks thats great! The love of my life dream ring was $20,000!
6.gif
6.gif
22.gif
. But then I got wise and looked around, I got the same kind of ring for almost 75% less! woot!
9.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
My DREAM ring would probably come in right around the 15K mark. My actual ring is FI''s great grandmother''s engagement ring and appraised at $1500, but the sentimental value is much higher. We could have bought a different ring with a larger stone (mine is only a third of a carat), but I love my ring and it was more important to us to buy a house when we could. I''ve told FI that for an anniversary down the line he can buy me something blingy so I get the best of both worlds.
3.gif

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I guess to properly answer your question on what my dream ring would be. it would probably cost between 10k-15k depending on who did the setting (Brian Gavin or Leon Mege) but the stone would either be a 2+oval or cushion cut....

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the avg PSer''s E-ring is about $8500

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
My dream ring would probably be around $15-20,000 because what I''m dreaming about is a 2-carat cushion in a Leon setting
30.gif

But honestly I''d be happy with whatever I get
17.gif

vetrogrl

Rough_Rock
It''s all about whats a good budget for you...the 3-4 months salary is probablely made up from the diamond business anyways. My "dream" ring would run- $35,000-$40,000... I looove Tiffany''s diamonds...after trying on a few Tiffany rings the brilliance and fire was amazing...i''m in love with the pear shape :)

However my bf and I found just as beautiful pear center stones (1.5-1.75 ct.) with a pave diamond setting between the price of $8,000-$10,000-which better suits his budget. My sister has a gorgeous ring herself, and it only cost $3500. So theres no set price range for a ring...just what u LOVE!! My bf and I also know a couple who only spent $1,000 and got a beautiful engagement/wedding set all together...everyone comes from different walks of life...soo like i said before, its all about what YOU love and what feels comfortable financially...diamonds are all beautiful and theres a right one out there for every woman :)

Prinny

Rough_Rock
Well, like everyone has been posting I think that whatever makes you and your Fiance happy is best. Don''t worry about the average cost of E rings. Everyone is different. The rings we have been leaning towards range from $18,000-$21,000. I''ll just be ecited when I finally get engaged
36.gif

4ever

Ideal_Rock
BF and I set a budget of around $2500 NZD (1000 pounds) for the ring. The one we found was $2900 NZD but we were both in love so snapped it up.

BF and the sales assistant convinced me to reshank it in rose gold for no extra cost- although it cost $200 to change it back to WG when I hated it in rose gold (GRRR i should have listened to my gut instincts).

I had the prongs changed on the pear to protect the point at another jewler which cost about $300.

So all in all, $3400 NZD of ring- not bad as it''s valued at $7900 NZD but I''m still kicking myself about wasting $200 on the re-shank.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
DF...wasn''t that poll a few years old?

To the OP...I wouldn''t worry about it. Most people we know including ourselves set a budget and looked to see what we could get within it. I hate to break it to some of you ladies but a 2ct+ anything in a Leon setting is most likely going to run you more than 15-20k. Sorry. That is unless you are going for CT weight and drop down in color or clarity.

My dream ring was in the 50k range but that was totally unrealistic.

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
I know FI spent less than $10k (or at least I hope he did, because that is the budget we agreed to and he swears he stuck to it!), but my ring appraised for a little over $18k USD.

I think my ring is gorgeous, 1.5 RB solitaire, but as much as I love designer shoes, I really don''t spend much on jewelry or anything else. My wedding ring cost a little over $300 because I wanted a plain platinum band without diamonds.

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 12:00:06 PM
Author:mochamamasita

This is kind of a personal question, so I'll understand if a lot of you guys don't answer......

Anyways, I was reading that the average cost of an engagement is about $3,500-$4,000 and I was wondering how accurate that is. The ring I want is only $2,000 (because it has several small diamonds instead of one huge one), and I was wondering how much you guys’ dream engagement ring costs?

My dream engagement ring is on my finger. It didn't cost $20,000 $30,000 or $50,000 but my SO worked damn hard to afford it so it's good enough for me

mochamamasita

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for all of your responses. My bf and I are both comfortable with a $2,000 ring and even though it''s less than the "average" (which was probably made by the diamond industries), I completely agree that it''s not the price of the ring that matters, and that instead it''s the sentimental value.

On a side note, sorry it took me so long to respond, but I''ve been super busy at work and I was away this weekend at a wedding, I''m going to post the details of the wedding on another post because it was amazing...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results