shape
carat
color
clarity

A jeweler’s guide for how to get along with Pricescope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Neil for the article and Andrey, for posting/bringing it to our attention.
36.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! Very well said! This is a "must read" for all.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
kicken thanks Neil.
Will save a lot of dealers a headache if they bother too read it.

Going beyond it too PS 102

Don''t talk down too consumers or we will chew ya up and spit you out.
That is the number one mistake new industry people make here and we have seen it so often that it will get jumped on and wont be forgiven anytime soon.
There are prosumers here that can hold their own with the top experts in the field when it comes to technical diamond discussion and a bunch more that are close too that level.

Too be considered as someone too do business with on PS provide pictures of everything possible and be willing too take pictures of things when requested.

If selling diamonds learn how too take Ideal-scope images and if selling fancies ASET images.

Do not filter for hits from PS and offer to undercut other vendors.
Most of the stones the regular PS vendors offer are in house and you cant get them but you can compete with like stones.
By putting this up you are making yourself look foolish and dirty.

What does it take too be successful on PS? Knowledge, Integrity, quality goods at good prices and top notch customer service.
You must strive too make every interaction with consumers a good one for them.
An occasional problem with happen with even the best vendors how they are resolved is examined under a 100x microscope.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/27/2007 12:14:32 PM
Author:PS Admin

There is a new article on Pricescope journal by Neil Beaty (denverappraiser).

''A jeweler’s guide for how to get along with Pricescope ''

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/55/1/A-jeweler’s-guide-for-how-to-get-along-with-Pricescope.aspx

I want to thank him for his contribution to the Pricescope community.

Andrey
PS Admin
Nice and straight to the point!
Its actually the first writting aimed at the future potential PS vendor!!! (I think).

Point one!!! Be honest! Earn the trust!
Point two!!! Be professional! (no room for amateurs)
Point three!!! Transparency! Transparency! Transparency!
Point four (and probably the hardest)..., change old habits..., dont try to sell as was done in the past..., it will not work here on PS...,
like Neil said: "...So far, you’ve done little more than what a significant percentage of your customers are doing ahead of you. This information gap is the reason that so many customers think so many long-term industry pros are uninformed. They’re coming from a different background from you and they take for granted some things that you may very well never have even heard of."
Consumers here on PS that spend time reading and learning..., have knowledge in this field which surprises me everyday!!!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
strm -

Great points!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Storm,

Good points. Thanks. I was actually writing this for the benefit of jewelers who are looking for how to participate a little bit without getting skinned. Becoming a full blown PS vender is a whole new skill set.

Ideal cut diamonds from inventory is definitely not the only way to do business here although it’s definitely the highest profile. There are actually quite a few PS advertisers who are primarily dropshippers that don’t carry inventory and my general impression is that they’re doing just fine with their niche although they don’t get discussed a lot on the forum. Abazias, USA Certed and Mondera come to mind. There are others, like Pearlman’s, Signed Pieces and Leon Mege, who aren’t really competing in the PS loose diamond market at all but who successfully manage their own pieces of the business. There are still others, like Mark Morrell, Octonus and myself who aren’t advertisers at all but who still manage to leave a fairly big footprint here. A company has several choices on how to participate here but none of them are especially easy. I think that’s one of the unifying attributes of all of these companies. The people who are successful here tend to work really hard at it and have a clear understanding of what they’re doing. Funny, a lot of life is like that. The harder you work the luckier you get.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver

JogiaDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Trade
An excellent article with some great tips for lurkers like me.

One of the handiest tools that PS has is the search tool. Whether you''re looking for information about twinning wisps or very thin girdles, you''re sure to find a bunch of threads with the information you''re after.

It should be noted that whilst some retailers dedicate a lot of time to PS, which in turn benefits everyone, others are still battling to answers their emails
7.gif

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks, Neil...great information.

PS consumers, vendors, dealers or appraisers shouldn't assume that all retailers or vendors even

know that PS exists. I'm located in a major metropolitan area and many retailers that I know are unaware

of PS.....even with all the industry publicity. Many of these retailers are small, family owned independents

that just don't have the time to read the dozens of trade magazines or lurk on line. When I introduce them

to PS..they are very interested in what folks have to say. I agree with Neil that one must be dedicated to posting

accurately, honestly, and consistently to make it all work. And also, one must be a good speller
34.gif
(is "speller" even a word??)

Correction: One must be able to spell words correctly. That's better
2.gif

Jeff Averbook,GG
Graduate Gemologist/Appraiser

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome article!!!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results