shape
carat
color
clarity

A hurricane, a garden, and a long story

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FunkyMike

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I thought I''d share my proposal story with everyone. It actually happened a while back, but its never to late to tell a good story, right?
emsmile.gif

My fiancé currently lives in Houston and I''m in Fort Worth, so we typically only get to see each other on the weekends. I really wanted to make it a surprise, but wasn’t sure how I was going to able to get her parents blessing without her knowing since lived with them at the time.

I’m not sure if everyone remembers hurricane Rita, but it was right after the devastation of Katrina and looked like it was heading straight for Houston. My fiancé evacuated Houston, but her parents stayed. Rita turned out to miss most of Houston, so I saw my chance. I called her parents up and asked if I could come see them. I loaded up my truck with a canister of gas (they were saying everyone was out of gas along the way) and charted a back-country course to Houston that would help me avoid all the clogged highways. When I got to Houston everything was fine, as Rita had pretty much left the part where my fiancé’s parents lived untouched. I had a great time with her parents and we spent several hours just talking. I asked for their blessing, they were happy to give it, and then I left before my fiancé returned.

Flash forward a few weeks and it was time to propose. I really wanted it to be a surprise, so I was still asking her questions about what kind of ring she wanted. She was flying into Dallas, so I picked her up at the airport and we went out to dinner. I was dressed up nicer than normal, which she though was suspicious at first. Fortunately I though of that, and was hiding a secret from her. Earlier that week I had gotten a substantial raise at work, so at dinner I surprised her with the fact I had gotten the raise and said that’s why I was dressed up, because this was a “celebratory” dinner. She later said that really threw her off of thinking I was proposing that night!

After dinner I suggested we go for a drive around Fort Worth and talk. We drove for a while and as I was passing by the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens I said “a friend of mine at work said they were open late (it was about 8:30 in the evening) so why don’t we go see if they are open?” Little did she know that they actually closed around 8:00, but I had arranged for them to open the gardens for me after hours. There was some kind of conference going on in one of the conference rooms there, which was perfect because there were plenty of people at the facility, giving the impression that the gardens might actually be open. I met a very nice lady named Michelle at the door and I asked,”Are the gardens still open?” She said “Yes” and let us in. Of course, this was scripted before out beforehand.
emteeth.gif

When we walked around we were the only ones in the entire gardens. It was beautiful because, even though it was dark, they had soft lights around lighting up the area. I lead her up to a large gazebo. Earlier I had a friend of mine place large red roses around the inside perimeter of the gazebo and also left a towel, bottle of water, and small basin. I asked her to sit down as I knelt in front of her and proceeded to tell her how much I loved her. I took the water and basin and began to wash her feet (you probably either get that one or you don’t), which is a Christian symbol of unyielding love and service. We then went home and enjoyed the rest of the evening together.

Sorry for the long windedness, but others have said it was a decent proposal, so I thought I’d share the story. The picture in my avatar was taken right after I proposed.

Peace,
Mike

midgirl

Shiny_Rock
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

sweet!

I hope I get proposed to like that!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results