shape
carat
color
clarity

A feather in my VVS2 candidate. Is that a problem?

mohelmo

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am shopping for an engagement ring. This is the diamond I liked so far

http://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=1239663125

It's video, ideal scope and hearts image are in the link below.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.52-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2076374

I thought it was a beautiful diamond till I noticed it has more inclusions than I would have thought of a VVS2, I searched online about feather inclusions and it seems like people say it's risky to have a feather close to the surface like the one in my GIA report.

I am not an expert at all, all my information I get from doing online searched.

Can someone please advice me if there is any risk to get this diamond? Is a feather a problem here? does it have more inclusions than you'd think a VVS2 would have?

Thank you very much!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A feather in a VVS2 should be a non-issue. I cant even see the feather on the plot...looks like most of the inclusions I can
see are on the pavilion. Why are you saying that the feather is close to the surface? Is it on the girdle somewhere? I guess maybe
you can see it and I cant?

Do to the fact it is a VVS2 it really should be a non-issue. It does look to be a lovely stone (very nice numbers and all).

Did you ask JA about the feather? That might help ease your mind. Is it that tiny thing on the girdle at about 4 oclock?

mohelmo

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1477839673|4092010 said:
A feather in a VVS2 should be a non-issue. I cant even see the feather on the plot...looks like most of the inclusions I can
see are on the pavilion. Why are you saying that the feather is close to the surface? Is it on the girdle somewhere? I guess maybe

Do to the fact it is a VVS2 it really should be a non-issue. It does look to be a lovely stone (very nice numbers and all).

Did you ask JA about the feather? That might help ease your mind. Is it that tiny thing on the girdle at about 4 oclock?

Thank you very much! I just sent JA an email about it to see what they think. I can see two feathers at 4 o'clock and at 10 c'clock close to the girdle.

I don't really know if they would be a problem, people say stones could be chopped off because of feathers. I just wanted to make sure.

mohelmo

Rough_Rock
mohelmo|1477840334|4092015 said:
tyty333|1477839673|4092010 said:

Thank you very much! I just sent JA an email about it to see what they think. I can see two feathers at 4 o'clock and at 10 c'clock close to the girdle.

I don't really know if they would be a problem, people say stones could be chopped off because of feathers. I just wanted to make sure.

This is the reply I got from JA

"My name is Erika and I am delighted to assist you today.

What a gorgeous diamond you are considering! As a True Hearts diamond, it will have maximum sparkle, and light performance. Typically, with feather inclusions, it can be a durability risk in lower clarity grades such as SI2-I1 grades if located along the girdle area. Your diamond is so high in clarity, and was inspected by GIA and determined to be a VVS2 clarity. You have absolutely nothing to worry about at all. "

I am just not sure how the clarity would affect the risk of a feather causing damage to the diamond or the durability of the diamond. If a feather is there shouldn't it be a problem anyway?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, GIA has determined that the feather (and other inclusions) is so small that it fell into the VVS2 category.

Per GIA
Very, Very Slightly Included (VVS1 and VVS2) - Inclusions are difficult for a skilled grader to see under 10× magnification

Now I know that says nothing about whether the feather is a risk or not but we usually never worry about any inclusion in a
stone of this level of clarity. Like I said, should be a non-issue. Besides your girdle is not thin...it is med to slightly thick and
your crown angle is not low so honestly I dont think you should worry.

mohelmo

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much! That was quite helpful.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
mohelmo|1477840334|4092015 said:

This is the problem with listening to what people say. Who are the people who are saying it? Are they trained professionals who have seen tens of thousands of diamonds, or are they "people" who have heard other "people" say it and thus repeat it as a known truth when in fact it is not?

I have heard people say many things I know not to be true, and say them as if they were facts, not theories. Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to learn more, study more, and eventually to know enough to know if what people are saying sounds like a truth, or a misstatement.

It is not an easy task, but you have made a good start by asking.

Wink

mohelmo

Rough_Rock
I agree. That's why I said I am not an expert at all, all my information I get from doing online searches and came here to ask the experts :))

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was not at my office when I answered you earlier, but now that I am I took the time to look up this excellent post by John Pollard of Crafted by Infinity diamonds: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-advice.223513/#p4042766']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-advice.223513/#p4042766[/URL]

This will add another comfort layer to the information you are seeking.

One great thing about Pricescope is that there are many here who applaud your efforts and who will take an active part in helping you gather the needed information.

Wink

mohelmo

Rough_Rock
Wink|1477939253|4092391 said:
I was not at my office when I answered you earlier, but now that I am I took the time to look up this excellent post by John Pollard of Crafted by Infinity diamonds: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-advice.223513/#p4042766']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-advice.223513/#p4042766[/URL]

This will add another comfort layer to the information you are seeking.

One great thing about Pricescope is that there are many here who applaud your efforts and who will take an active part in helping you gather the needed information.

Wink

Thank you Wink! That is really assuring. Much appreciated :)

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember Wink that the late Rockdoc used to weigh down heavily on feathers. As the original poster said the internet sites
also give a feeling of beware too. I was once told though that crystal inclusions very often have a small feather around them too that
can only be seen with a microscope.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[/quote]

I don't really know if they would be a problem, people say stones could be chopped off because of feathers. I just wanted to make sure.[/quote]

The term 'chopped off' would be cleavage in diamonds. Maybe you mean 'chipped off' though?

mohelmo

Rough_Rock
Yes you are right. chipped off was what I meant :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results