shape
carat
color
clarity

A dress for me

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cheekyprincess

Shiny_Rock
Hi all.

I have been furiously looking around for simple, pretty silk dresses for my very low key wedding ceremony. there will only be 3 guests as we live in Singapore but are from Australia- we''ll have our party/reception back in Oz at a later date. it is very hard to find elegant, pretty designs here for western sized women (read boobs and hips). I found this dress in cream at Ted Baker, it is almost what I want but I wish that it didn''t have that dropped mid-section effect. ie I would rather it shorter and would perhaps like to have some of the fabric under the bust-line removed. DO you think the is possible/would be easy for a dressmaker to do? I am reluctant to have something made outright.

zoomer3.jpg

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is doing something odd from the rear view...at the shoulder blades and bum area. The front is okay, but I am not a sewing expert...it may not look right if you mess with it...

Cheekyprincess

Shiny_Rock
Yes DF, thats what I was thinking.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
where do you live? I like the dress, just want to make sure it hangs well...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oops, I see, Singapore...

No great boutiques or stores with more Western clothing? That is not good...can you just keep looking or are you running out of time?

Cheekyprincess

Shiny_Rock
wait, here''s the back in a diff colour, easier to see.

zoomer4.jpg

Cheekyprincess

Shiny_Rock
I''ve got 6 weeks. At the moment I am only looking at off the rack party dresses, Singaporean labels aren''t doing much for me, imported stuff is UK and in dark colours for the winter- I want cream/pale pink or something pale. Most local stuff is polyester- outdoor ceremony in the tropics and I am going to sweat to death.

Maybe I''ll just find a tailor.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess I would say try it on...it might look great on and of course you need the right underwear so it lays properly...

Cheekyprincess

Shiny_Rock
Nope, I tried it on, that''s why I felt it would be better altered. It hung a bit like a sack looked dowdy- didn''t suit my apple shape either, and the length looked a little strange. Bust area was beautiful, the fabric felt like a dream! I guess I could get something made and have them copy that bodice, but make a simple, empire line flowy skirt.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought tailors there were amazing...could you have someone shop for you back home and pick something and send it to you? Someone you trust and who has your measurements with them...

Cheekyprincess

Shiny_Rock
Yes dressmakers here are supposed to be really good. My reluctance is just that I like to see how it looks on before buying something. At least I have that option to fall back on.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hung like a sack-looked dowdy-apple shape.

I think the problem is where that line in the back runs across your butt. The skirt should be uninterrupted after the start of your butt curve. Otherwise it causes a cusp that breaks the flow.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if you got the bum part of it fixed the front just below the hips is a little odd too. How did that look in person? As someone who has a similar shape to yours based on your description I find things that thave cleaner lines (i.e., not a lot of pleating or draping) flatter my figure more and even make me look slimmer than if there is a lot of extra fabric to work with. (Just my two cents... )

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
How about something from the Ann Taylor celebrations line? You'd have to order it online most likely, or maybe you could order it to be delivered to the store, but they should be pretty true to size.

Cheekyprincess

Shiny_Rock
Dee Jay, it looked weird on, but I was kind of fed up and didn''t really take it all in. Maybe I should go back for another look- or maybe not. empire waists look best for me, extra fabric is fine around bum/hips as I am narrower there I do have a butt but it is out- not wide (my weight is in my tummy and I have broadish shoulders). I have skinny legs, so the length was wrong for the width of the skirt. The whole dress seemed to throw my proportions out- except the bodice which I loved.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
what about something from watters
http://www.watters.com

they have all sorts of dresses (look under wtoo),and their prices are reasonable

Cheekyprincess

Shiny_Rock
I know, I''ve seen- I love! but I am in Singapore
15.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I think that the way the skirt is sewn into the rest of the dress is a problem, I don''t think it will be especially flattering from the back on anyone (it certainly isn''t on the model). What other stores do you have? I was really hoping that Blufly would ship to you, but no such luck and Ted Baker online doesn''t have anything in white. I poked around on ebay singapore, I don''t know how ebay works there, but it''s an easy way to pick something up cheap to have altered to fit perfectly.

from ebay singapore
white with tulle skirt
cute with cap sleeves
cute sun dress style

I''m not sure what else we can do to help... good luck!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is one from JCrew. If you liked the rest of it you could have it hemmed, which I think would be an easy alteration to make. There are some other dress on the site but they only come in dark colors. Here is the link link.

jcrew3.jpg

Cheekyprincess

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all! so sweet of you to look up stuff for me!

Ebay has one little (big) problem here in Singapore i would be an XL or an XXL and locals are S-M Not that I''m huge- I am just not Singaporean sized. As you would figure pretty much all shops stock S-M it is cheaper to make clothes with less fabirc in the sizes which will sell. So anything larger and you are forced to go to a tailor. A friend is taking me shopping tomorrow, so I will have another look in case I missed something.

Cheekyprincess

Shiny_Rock
Some success! My Singaporean friend took me to a designer- he quoted me $1300SGD for an elegant silk chiffon, with satin lining, halter neck dress custom made. My friend then took me to a tailor, and I was quoted $150 for labour BYO silk. The dress that the designer designed with me had a playful hemline kneelength at front, but to the ground at the back. I am a bit unsure of this hemline anyone got any pics of something? Do you think it will work? I realise the fashion here is quite different, was glad to have my friend there so things weren''t lost in translation. I am not getting the dress made till the 10th (her next avail slot) so I have time to tweak the design.

Cheekyprincess

Shiny_Rock
I found the dress I think I will go with, but might have the front cut higher, as I would like to show off my legs and have it as cool as possible.

Now I am off to buy the fabric- apparently 100% silk will be no good for the satin lining as it will cling to my imperfect body and show off lumps and bumps, so will go for a silk/poly blend I guess.

f06_f22190.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this dress a lot and I''m glad you found someone who can make it for you. Have you decided what color you''re going to go with?

Cheekyprincess

Shiny_Rock
Yup Dee I got a cream colour.

lilmissjaja

Rough_Rock
hey there,

why don''t you try checking out the local designers ?? Then you get get the dress custom made and not worry so much on the final result.

Here are some of Malaysian designer website, your next door neighbour :)

bernard chandran

Michael Ong

Rizalman

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results