shape
carat
color
clarity

A Cool Story

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
So this weekend was my grandmother's birthday. We took her to eat at our family's favorite restaurant which is locally owned. It serves a little of everything including fresh seafood from a fishing village about an hour from where we are on the gulf coast. My grandfather ordered fried oysters, which came from that fishing village. He bit into his first oyster and found a pearl! It was about the size of a pea. I doubt it is worth a whole lot, but they're putting it on a pendant for my grandmother anyways. I just thought it was really neat that they found that in a fried oyster!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
THAT IS AWESOME!

How does the pearl look? Natural pearls are very coveted, and beautiful examples are worth some money.

If it's particularly pretty, it could be worth a couple of hundred dollars. Please post about this in the pearls forum, let's see what our pearl ladies think about it.

Here's a link to a natural pearl (but scallop, not oyster) necklace;
http://shop.kojimapearl.com/products/natural-wild-scallop-pearl-ecklace

Picture? :appl:

That's what I call a cosmic birthday gift, nature sending a gift to your grandmother! :praise:

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
that is a great story! what are the chances :bigsmile:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great story!!!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
How cool! What a wonderful surprise!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty cool! I've never had fried oysters, although I love oyster stew, Rockefeller, on the half shell, etc! I'll have to try them fried next time I'm on your coast. Great birthday gift for your grandmother, glad you shared a special dinner with her.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting! How high is the chance of finding a pearl in an oyster?

supergirl10

Shiny_Rock
How awesome!!!!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
aw, great story!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1323111363|3074664 said:
THAT IS AWESOME!

How does the pearl look? Natural pearls are very coveted, and beautiful examples are worth some money.

If it's particularly pretty, it could be worth a couple of hundred dollars. Please post about this in the pearls forum, let's see what our pearl ladies think about it.

Here's a link to a natural pearl (but scallop, not oyster) necklace;
http://shop.kojimapearl.com/products/natural-wild-scallop-pearl-ecklace

Picture? :appl:

That's what I call a cosmic birthday gift, nature sending a gift to your grandmother! :praise:

ilander - I'll see about getting a photo. It is not the best quality pearl, in terms of luster. It was about the size of a pea, tear drop shaped, and very white. She's having it mounted into a pendant, so when it gets back I'll get photos and post them over in the pearls section. We just thought it was so cool! We've never found one in a "local" oyster before.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is definitely a cool story! I don't eat oysters, so admittedly I wouldn't know, but I had no idea you could actually find a pearl in one at a restaurant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results