shape
carat
color
clarity

A basic question - gemstone scratching

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

Just wondered this the other day. Why is it that small gemstones are sometimes sold in parcels where stones of the same kind are all kept in a same bag plastic bag together - don't they scratch each other?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think that even if they do scratch each other, most melee size gems kept that way are relatively low value, and not worth the added space of storing them differently, to vendors.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is parcel wear that can take place. Makes me cringe when one IG vendor repeatedly dumps scoops of pastel spinels and sapphires out on his table -- way bigger than melee size, too.

I think as @voce said, any impact on appearance or sale price is not worth the extra effort.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
There is parcel wear that can take place. Makes me cringe when one IG vendor repeatedly dumps scoops of pastel spinels and sapphires out on his table -- way bigger than melee size, too.

I think as @voce said, any impact on appearance or sale price is not worth the extra effort.

I see vendors doing this with non-melee diamonds and it makes me cringe.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I see vendors doing this with non-melee diamonds and it makes me cringe.

I was just going to say the same thing! I see vendors storing diamonds together and I really do cringe! I’ll also see comparisons when you want to see two diamonds compared to each other bumping against each other. I’m actually paranoid about that with my own jewelry. I separate diamonds or gem studs in separate little jewelry baggies so they don’t bump against each other.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think diamonds are pretty tough when it comes to facet wear, and one occasional little bump will not create a scratch like it will other gemstones. What you've got to really watch out for the most is non-melee gems that can be abraded by dust (anything 7 or below) or those gems like emerald that can be cleaved from multiple angles due to the crystal.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock

If it doesn't affect appearance so much, I guess they don't scratch so easily then? In my worried mind, I think of any contact between gemstones could result in an unsightly scratch but perhaps that's not realistic maybe. Poor pastel spinels though! He should give them to me, I would take good care of them and pamper them in storage. =)2

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
@ForteKitty and @MamaBee,

Haha, I too cringe when I see stones bumping together - I've seen some gemstones sold at auctions where so many small stones are crammed into a single bag, right up to to top, I almost feel the pain. They often look chipped or scratched, though they may just be glass stones for all I know!

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I think diamonds are pretty tough when it comes to facet wear, and one occasional little bump will not create a scratch like it will other gemstones. What you've got to really watch out for the most is non-melee gems that can be abraded by dust (anything 7 or below) or those gems like emerald that can be cleaved from multiple angles due to the crystal.

Yes, the other day, I found out that quartz dust is apparently everywhere so I guess it's possible for softer gemstones to be scratched by dust!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results