shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiteflash ACA vs Blue Nile Ideal

iwantadiamond

Rough_Rock
Hello Pricescopers,

I know many people here love Whiteflash ACA as do I, but honestly, my fiancé doesn’t care that much for diamonds and thinks they’re completely overpriced. However, he knows how much I want one, so he is going to buy whatever I want. He’s a keeper! Anyway, I’m looking for a wonderful sparkly diamond but more on the modest side. I’d like a 1.3 G color VS2 or SI1 and want to keep it under $10k.

I’m wondering if there’s much difference between the WF ACA and Blue Nile Ideal? I understand about the upgrade policy but doubt I’d be doing that anyway. I have posted the 2 diamonds I’m looking at below and wondering what you think. It’s seems WFACA is more expensive...but will I really be able to notice that much of a difference between the two? I don’t need perfection just a nice size sparkler w hearts and arrows. :wavey:

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4109152.htm

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is how each fares on the HCA:

13B36ED3-7A67-4B8C-8C23-A908E91FF0F3.jpeg 946A7341-9A85-4AF4-844C-75B39FDC9D47.jpeg

Only you/your partner can decide if the visual performance and almost .2mm spread differences are worth the almost-$3K price difference.

iwantadiamond

Rough_Rock
Here is how each fares on the HCA:

13B36ED3-7A67-4B8C-8C23-A908E91FF0F3.jpeg 946A7341-9A85-4AF4-844C-75B39FDC9D47.jpeg

Only you/your partner can decide if the visual performance and almost .2mm spread differences are worth the almost-$3K price difference.
Wow, thanks so much for the visual that's very helpful!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, thanks so much for the visual that's very helpful!

Personally, if your color sensitivity/tolerance allows, I’d drop down to an I color, and consider WF’s stones in their Expert Selection and even Premium Selection categories. The ES diamonds usually just narrowly miss ACA branding, so will sell for a little less than ACAs and as such, offer a great value in well-performing diamond for your money. And while you don’t anticipate an upgrade down the road, one never knows where they may be in 5, 10, 20 years, so it’s not a bad benefit to have, just in case. ;)2

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello Pricescopers,

I know many people here love Whiteflash ACA as do I, but honestly, my fiancé doesn’t care that much for diamonds and thinks they’re completely overpriced. However, he knows how much I want one, so he is going to buy whatever I want. He’s a keeper! Anyway, I’m looking for a wonderful sparkly diamond but more on the modest side. I’d like a 1.3 G color VS2 or SI1 and want to keep it under $10k.

I’m wondering if there’s much difference between the WF ACA and Blue Nile Ideal? I understand about the upgrade policy but doubt I’d be doing that anyway. I have posted the 2 diamonds I’m looking at below and wondering what you think. It’s seems WFACA is more expensive...but will I really be able to notice that much of a difference between the two? I don’t need perfection just a nice size sparkler w hearts and arrows. :wavey:

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4109152.htm

You aren't alone in being hesitant to pay the premium for a "branded super ideal". It's not the popular opinion here on PS, but there are some of us who can't see enough of a difference between a GIA ExExEx with super ideal or near super ideal proportions vs. a "branded super ideal" to warrant paying the premium. Though there are lots of perks associated with that premium (stones are vetted for guaranteed performance, generous upgrade policies, excellent customer service, etc.), the premium is not worth it to me as I can't see much if any difference and I rather enjoy the "hunt" for GIA ExExEx with super ideal or near super ideal proportions. Yes, you have GIA rounding to contend with, but if you rely on the advice of the experts here and buy from a retailer with a good return policy and compare the diamond against a super ideal IRL (try Hearts of Fire), you should be able to get a feel for your own tolerance.

That said, I would suggest you ask the experts here for help in finding a great GIA ExExEx. The one you linked from BlueNile appears to have complimentary angles, but the clarity could be an issue as it has a knot, is an SI1 with clouds, etc. I think the you can do better and the experts here will be more than willing to help. GL!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@iwantadiamond For example, here’s a larger WF diamond that is in their Expert Selection category. It’s an I color, and smidge over $10K, but less than the ACA you looked at above. But it has a considerable spread/size increase.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4089360.htm
B669D053-AAC7-4D83-BF38-3060E3385ADA.jpeg

This is just me - and know that I am budget-conscious - but if I knew I would/could likely never upgrade, I’d probably go for the biggest/best bang my buck could buy now. I do think this diamond could be a great compromise to stay at/near budget while getting a great performing diamond you can love forever. But you have to be comfortable with the color and clarity. WF states it’s eye clean. I think WF’s ES category is a GREAT compromise between performance & budget. My WF ES is a K (see av pic) and I LOVE it!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more great WF I-color, this one an ACA, just below $10K.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4104642.htm
373B8C56-4FC7-4BFD-9F1C-8077B2E848CD.jpeg

The only issue I’d ask WF if you choose to discuss these diamonds with them is if any of the inclusions noted pose a setting risk or impact performance negatively. I doubt an ACA branded item would have negative-impacting inclusions, but best/safest to ask and be sure. They can line them up for you and provide pictures of the diamonds, as they have them all in-house/vault. That is one of the major value propositions of going with WF, IMO.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other important thing to know is that blue Nile "ideal" is meaningless. It doesn't mean it's actually a better cut stone or that they have it in house (most of the time). Whiteflash ACA is a proprietary cut that is actually superior and a product that is exclusive to whiteflash. Came with crafted by infinity. It's a cut that is branded and that trusted vendors put their name on. Blue Nile "ideal" is just "a diamond that we think is nice".

What I'm trying to say is that it's apples and oranges. It can't really be compared

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other important thing to know is that blue Nile "ideal" is meaningless. It doesn't mean it's actually a better cut stone or that they have it in house (most of the time). Whiteflash ACA is a proprietary cut that is actually superior and a product that is exclusive to whiteflash. Came with crafted by infinity. It's a cut that is branded and that trusted vendors put their name on. Blue Nile "ideal" is just "a diamond that we think is nice".

What I'm trying to say is that it's apples and oranges. It can't really be compared

Excellent point, LD. The closest thing to ‘ACA’ at BN would be their Astor diamonds, and from what I can tell per their website, they don’t have a particular cut/formula/set of specs; rather, they just choose what they think are the ‘best of the best’ from their cutters and slap the Astor name on it. IMO, that’s not the same as actually have cutters who specifically cut diamonds to one’s specs/brand for optimal performance.

@iwantadiamond That’s not to say BN is a bad choice or has “bad diamonds”, or that the one you’re looking at is ‘bad’. As LD noted, it’s just apples/oranges.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
<---Stunning, gorgeous, well cut, white Blue Nile GIA XXX diamond.

I am a huge advocate for big, well cut stones at an affordable price. After a year of debate, I found a buyer for my stone and am in the process of buying a WF stone. I'm too indecisive to stick to one diamond and find Blue Nile's 2x cost upgrade policy restrictive, especially since I am still figuring out my tolerance for color. I value the flexibility, superb customer service and vetted stones WF provide.

It's great you are considering both options from the beginning. I wish I knew about WF before I chose my stone given my proclivity to upgrade.

Good luck with your decision, OP!

iwantadiamond

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for you very expert advice.
@
@iwantadiamond For example, here’s a larger WF diamond that is in their Expert Selection category. It’s an I color, and smidge over $10K, but less than the ACA you looked at above. But it has a considerable spread/size increase.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4089360.htm
B669D053-AAC7-4D83-BF38-3060E3385ADA.jpeg

This is just me - and know that I am budget-conscious - but if I knew I would/could likely never upgrade, I’d probably go for the biggest/best bang my buck could buy now. I do think this diamond could be a great compromise to stay at/near budget while getting a great performing diamond you can love forever. But you have to be comfortable with the color and clarity. WF states it’s eye clean. I think WF’s ES category is a GREAT compromise between performance & budget. My WF ES is a K (see av pic) and I LOVE it!
Thank you so much for your expert advice. I will start looking for WF ES I am very partial to G or even H color for diamonds and do not think I will want to drop below an H.

If you see anything that you think is a good deal between 1.3-1.5, please send it my way.

Thank you:dance:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy to help @iwantadiamond but I am no ‘expert’; just a fellow budget-minded bling-lover/shopper who appreciates well-performing diamonds. :wavey:

You can run diamonds through the HCA tools yourself as well. Just get the numbers from any diamond’s lab report that you’re considering and input them directly. The beauty of WF/HPD/BGD branded super-ideals (e.g., all AGS Ideal diamonds) is that they are all basically guaranteed great performers/best of the best. The HCA tool is helpful in weeding through GIA XXX stones on your own/at your leisure on Blue Nile, B2C, and Enchanted Diamonds.

HCA Tool Link: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

If you have color sensitivity below H, then I recommend you stick with H or higher when it specifically comes to AGS-graded diamonds. While I don’t have personal experience with this, some PSers have stated their AGS-graded diamonds were graded one color lower by GIA when they had them dual-cert’d. I don’t think this is a widespread issue/occurrence, but just something to be aware of so you don’t go through multiple orders/diamonds.

Getting in the 1.3-1.5 range in H color or higher in Super Ideal may be tough, but here is what I found at or just under 1.3 ct.

WF inventory, the only three I found in your budget (all H color ACAs) are viewable via this link so you can compare: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare/?idnos=4109149,4066993,4060821

I found one in your budget at HPD: https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10696

And 2 from Brian Gavin Diamonds:
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ls/1.212-g-si1-round-diamond-ags-104099574041
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ls/1.212-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104104597077

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for you very expert advice.
@

Thank you so much for your expert advice. I will start looking for WF ES I am very partial to G or even H color for diamonds and do not think I will want to drop below an H.

If you see anything that you think is a good deal between 1.3-1.5, please send it my way.

Thank you:dance:
I know I go against the grain here, but I think you are wise to stick with your plan of a G color. From my experience owning a number of stones in various cutting styles, it's my opinion that you do see a difference in the color. I'm sorry to say it and I'm not here to offend anyone. I could be totally wrong in my position and I'm willing to own that. Some would "chock it up" as that I'm color sensitive. But I didn't get color sensitive until I lived with lower color grades. Just my experience. I think you are on the right track.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Happy to help @iwantadiamond but I am no ‘expert’; just a fellow budget-minded bling-lover/shopper who appreciates well-performing diamonds. :wavey:

You can run diamonds through the HCA tools yourself as well. Just get the numbers from any diamond’s lab report that you’re considering and input them directly. The beauty of WF/HPD/BGD branded super-ideals (e.g., all AGS Ideal diamonds) is that they are all basically guaranteed great performers/best of the best. The HCA tool is helpful in weeding through GIA XXX stones on your own/at your leisure on Blue Nile, B2C, and Enchanted Diamonds.

HCA Tool Link: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

If you have color sensitivity below H, then I recommend you stick with H or higher when it specifically comes to AGS-graded diamonds. While I don’t have personal experience with this, some PSers have stated their AGS-graded diamonds were graded one color lower by GIA when they had them dual-cert’d. I don’t think this is a widespread issue/occurrence, but just something to be aware of so you don’t go through multiple orders/diamonds.

Getting in the 1.3-1.5 range in H color or higher in Super Ideal may be tough, but here is what I found at or just under 1.3 ct.

WF inventory, the only three I found in your budget (all H color ACAs) are viewable via this link so you can compare: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare/?idnos=4109149,4066993,4060821

I found one in your budget at HPD: https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10696

And 2 from Brian Gavin Diamonds:
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ls/1.212-g-si1-round-diamond-ags-104099574041
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ls/1.212-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104104597077
Excellent point with regard to AGS color grades. I had the opportunity to trade my previous 3.29 RB I color not ideal cut for a 2.11 AGS 0 G color (cannot recall clarity grade.. I'm assuming SI2 for some reason). Anyhow that's not the point. The point is that the Idealscope and ASET were PERFECTION. As good as you can get. The performance was on steroids. PROBLEM: That AGS graded G... looked worse than my previous non-ideal I color. Actually, it looked WORSE. The stone looked like a urine specimen. It was a total shame because the stone was phenomenal.
As for GIA 3x, there ARE good ones. Mine scores an HCA of 1.6 (excellent for fire, scintillation and brilliance)... it is a little smaller for its carat weight so it only got good for spread. But the performance scores are completely reflective of how it is in real life. And, on that note, my stone is a wee bit deep for what PSers would accept... but I just saw a stone with my same specs on JA and, while we can't get the #s, it's mm size for carat wt was same as mine which tells me that it is cut a little deeper than recommended on PS YET it is an AGS 0 cut grade. So you have to take EVERYTHING in consideration. It isn't just this measurement or that measurement based on a chart... it is how they all work together... and then how that all works together with one's budget and their priorities. If someone wants a super ideal (defined differently by different people), then they should get it. This is such an important purchase. But if your budget brings you to something that isn't perhaps UTTER perfection, that doesn't mean it isn't going to be a gorgeous diamond. My jeweler SELLS super ideals and he even says you aren't really going to see the difference if you get a "regular" ideal that has good scope images. He says he doesn't know why people would spend to get the difference and he sells them! Of course he is more than happy to sell them and he carries them because people want them but he doesn't think they are worth the extra money. I'm all for anything that represents luxury, excess (lol), perfection, etc. And I would've taken that AGS 0 but it looked like a urine specimen. So I got a fab GIA 3x and my "splurge" was the E color. So many on PS would say that was totally stupid. I get it. My point being is we all have to decide what is the MOST important element. That doesn't mean we have to just let everything else suck, we just find a good balance. Most people have a budget... it doesn't matter if they are shopping for a half carat stone or a 3 carat stone... we all make choices. On another point mentioned, my jeweler couldn't even bring in any AGS 0s in my parameters. There just aren't a lot of certain specs, as mentioned above.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results