shape
carat
color
clarity

White sparkles vs colored sparkles?

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
Does the colors of the sparkles have anything to do with stone color?

I've noticed my sister's ring has mostly white sparkles, but mine is mostly colored sparkles?

My ring is much warmer than hers? Could that possibly be the reason - or totally unrelated?

Thanks!

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No, it has to do with the cut. Yours was cut for fire and hers was cut for brilliance (based on your observation). The experts will chime in with the specifics. Do you have a certified stone?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Complex question.
Lightning is a big variable, the biggest.
Environment - diamonds reflect what is around them.
Diamond size
Diamond design. oec vs mrb
Viewing distance
Eyesight

A large flash is more likely to be seen as fire vs a small one.
The small one the different colors in the ray are not as spread out from one another.
The greater the distance the more the different colors spread out.
Intense small lights are interpreted as white even when they are not.
Due to persistence when a red light and a green light are quickly flashed on the same place the eye sees them as mixed together as yellow.
Add blue and its white, and the lights were never on at the same time.
What is interesting is you could play with the timings so older people saw white and younger people saw a different color at the same time.
There are a zillion different variables.
Anyway...

Its complex.....

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Body color is only visible in certain lighting conditions the rest of the time its over shadowed by other factors until you get fairly far down the color scale.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Does the colors of the sparkles have anything to do with stone color?

I've noticed my sister's ring has mostly white sparkles, but mine is mostly colored sparkles?

My ring is much warmer than hers? Could that possibly be the reason - or totally unrelated?

Thanks!

As Karl said, it is mostly not related to the body color of the ring.

Short version of why. In order to be perceived of as fire, the ray of dispersed light must be wider when it reaches the pupil of the eye than the pupil of the eye. When this is true, the ray of light is clipped at one end or the other, or at both ends. This is what allows the eye to perceive color, based on what colors enter the eye. If the entire ray enters the eye, then the light is perceived of as white light.

My own diamond is a P color Crafted by Infinity Diamond that shows a great balance of both white and colored light. I think that perhaps it does make a rich warm background against which the dispersion can be more deliciously observed, but the dispersion itself is caused by the cutting which allows larger flashes of both white and colored light.

Wink

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My own diamond is a P color Crafted by Infinity Diamond that shows a great balance of both white and colored light. I think that perhaps it does make a rich warm background against which the dispersion can be more deliciously observed, but the dispersion itself is caused by the cutting which allows larger flashes of both white and colored light.

Wink
Way kewl! another fan of mid color diamonds!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My own diamond is a P color Crafted by Infinity Diamond that shows a great balance of both white and colored light.
It sounds beautiful - are you allowed to/would you share pics of your personal collection on here?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it would not be appropriate to do so, buy you can see it on my personal Facebook page. Just do a search for Wink Jones and pick the one looking at a piece of diamond crystal. Also if you send me an email I will be happy to send you the link to a video I made of it.

Wink

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would not be appropriate to do so, buy you can see it on my personal Facebook page. Just do a search for Wink Jones and pick the one looking at a piece of diamond crystal. Also if you send me an email I will be happy to send you the link to a video I made of it.

Wink
No way that’s a P surely?! That’s a beautiful stone in a beautiful setting. And at the risk of sounding a bit stalkery, your lovely greying pupper is pretty gorgeous too.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No way that’s a P surely?! That’s a beautiful stone in a beautiful setting. And at the risk of sounding a bit stalkery, your lovely greying pupper is pretty gorgeous too.

LOL! @foxinsox, I literally laughed out loud when I saw your reply. This stone being a P is the only slightly disappointing thing about it.

When I asked @Paul-Antwerp to Craft to Order a Q, R, S, T color diamond for me, he went to look and told me he had found a wonderful starting crystal that would finish a Q color, VS2. "Sadly," it actually finished a P color. I am probably one of the few gemologists in the world who would be disappointed that the cutting improved the color, even from the side, of this lovely diamond. I wanted it to be a Q and would gladly have taken an R, S or T had one been found.

I have shared it with many well known people in the industry, whose names I will resist the urge to drop. I keep it well cleaned and the ring polished, so it is always sparkly to beat the band. When I hand it to them and ask about the color, always the guesses come in mostly I-J, one came in an H and only one said K. Then I ask them to look again, and from the side too. Some of the I's change to J's, and a few more as K. One particularly good friend and accomplished gemologist looked at me with a question in his eye and said, L?

All are astonished when I reveal the true color, a P that was to have finished a Q.

Of course, I did bury it in a half bezel setting of 18kt very rich yellow gold. This is a technique I learned back in the early eighties. Put a yellow diamond into a yellow mounting and it will look several color grades higher. Back then no one knew that you could also accomplish this with great cutting, but the effect in yellow gold is quite dramatic.

So, short answer to your ?!. Yes, WAY, that is a P!

And thank you for your kind comment about my old, old Jane. She has been the best all around dog my wife and I have ever had. Her exuberant three year old replacement, Joe, is already better in the field than Jane ever was, but I think he will need another year or two to even approach her good manners in the house. He has recently taken to jumping up into Resa's recliner in the evening and laying on his back next to her with his head laying in her shoulder as if he was a child sitting with grandma, her arm over his shoulders and the look of contentment on both of their faces.

I have always cherished the memories of all of my dogs, and the last couple that I have lost have hit me the hardest. Jane will be even worse, as she taught us what a real dog is supposed to be when in the house. Polite, while still being a loving friend and not afraid to share her feelings. Sometimes when I stroke her head and neck she makes a rumbling sound that sounds almost like a cat purring.

But I digress. Thank you again.

Wink

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink I love your diamond (and it's history) so much! And that's how I feel about my N. It's the best of both worlds with colored and white flashes :)

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have always marveled at this photo (courtesy of Yoram @diagem) of a dispersed fan actually being clipped by the pupil. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Never truer than here as it takes the concept out of the theoretical, physics of light realm and makes it intuitive. It also underscores one of the ways the specific characteristics of the observer is an important factor in the study of diamond light performance.

diamond-fire-eye-spectral-fan.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You are right Bryan. I wonder if he was seeing green or blue or both. This picture does take a lot of the language and make it comprehensible in a hurry! Thank you for posting it and thank you to Yorem for taking it..

Wink

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Body color is only visible in certain lighting conditions the rest of the time its over shadowed by other factors until you get fairly far down the color scale.
Very interesting, Karl_K! When you say "fairly far down the color scale", how far down the scale would you say you start to see body color despite the "other factors"? Thanks! :)

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LOL! @foxinsox, I literally laughed out loud when I saw your reply. This stone being a P is the only slightly disappointing thing about it.

When I asked @Paul-Antwerp to Craft to Order a Q, R, S, T color diamond for me, he went to look and told me he had found a wonderful starting crystal that would finish a Q color, VS2. "Sadly," it actually finished a P color. I am probably one of the few gemologists in the world who would be disappointed that the cutting improved the color, even from the side, of this lovely diamond. I wanted it to be a Q and would gladly have taken an R, S or T had one been found.

I have shared it with many well known people in the industry, whose names I will resist the urge to drop. I keep it well cleaned and the ring polished, so it is always sparkly to beat the band. When I hand it to them and ask about the color, always the guesses come in mostly I-J, one came in an H and only one said K. Then I ask them to look again, and from the side too. Some of the I's change to J's, and a few more as K. One particularly good friend and accomplished gemologist looked at me with a question in his eye and said, L?

All are astonished when I reveal the true color, a P that was to have finished a Q.

Of course, I did bury it in a half bezel setting of 18kt very rich yellow gold. This is a technique I learned back in the early eighties. Put a yellow diamond into a yellow mounting and it will look several color grades higher. Back then no one knew that you could also accomplish this with great cutting, but the effect in yellow gold is quite dramatic.

So, short answer to your ?!. Yes, WAY, that is a P!

And thank you for your kind comment about my old, old Jane. She has been the best all around dog my wife and I have ever had. Her exuberant three year old replacement, Joe, is already better in the field than Jane ever was, but I think he will need another year or two to even approach her good manners in the house. He has recently taken to jumping up into Resa's recliner in the evening and laying on his back next to her with his head laying in her shoulder as if he was a child sitting with grandma, her arm over his shoulders and the look of contentment on both of their faces.

I have always cherished the memories of all of my dogs, and the last couple that I have lost have hit me the hardest. Jane will be even worse, as she taught us what a real dog is supposed to be when in the house. Polite, while still being a loving friend and not afraid to share her feelings. Sometimes when I stroke her head and neck she makes a rumbling sound that sounds almost like a cat purring.

But I digress. Thank you again.

Wink
Wink, there is so much here that I've enjoyed reading and I'm a dog lover, myself, so I know what you're talking about and I empathize. <3
But what I wanted to ask you is about your comment about putting a low color stone in yellow gold. I was debating setting my new L color EC in yellow gold, because I already have a platinum diamond ring and I wear yellow gold jewelry at times, so to be able to switch off and match my metals would've offered a nice change. I have an 18K setting with no stone inside, just sitting in my jewelry box, so I sat my stone in it, just to get a feel for how it would look set in yellow. I thought it would make the stone appear even whiter than it already does, but the opposite was true! In fact, the stone reflected the yellow gold and looked much more tinted than it did loose and/or in white metal! Is that because it's a step cut? I'm really curious to know what you think!
Thanks! :)

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, and @Wink, I looked at your beautiful stone on Facebook in it's yellow gold setting, and...Wowwzzzaaa!!! That's an awesome stone!!! "P" is for "Perfect"!!! :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very interesting, Karl_K! When you say "fairly far down the color scale", how far down the scale would you say you start to see body color despite the "other factors"? Thanks! :)
Depends on the cut of the stone and the lighting as well as the persons eyesight.
The tone of the body color can make a difference,
It also depends on the mounting.
It is less obvious in yellow gold settings.

If you want to see yellow color the majority of the time the xyz range with a cut for color stone is a good value starting place.
Browns show color all the time much lower in the s-t range or lower.
S-T range browns are some of my favorites, there a pretty brown color and some have slight pink tone and others are a more yellow brown, they are light enough to blast off in the right light but dark enough to cut as an ideal cut diamond with nice color.

Wink,
I would mount it in white gold and flaunt it rather than hide it with yellow gold and a closed setting.

Last edited:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I thought it would make the stone appear even whiter than it already does, but the opposite was true! In fact, the stone reflected the yellow gold and looked much more tinted than it did loose and/or in white metal! Is that because it's a step cut? I'm really curious to know what you think!

Absolutely.

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for the answer! Everything about diamonds is still a "mystery" to me! All very interesting though! I know wayyyyyyyyyyyy more than any of my frie:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:nds after being on this site though!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Such an interesting discussion. Thank you @Wink and @Karl_K and @Texas Leaguer for sharing. I hope to read much more.
My pleasure. Fire is the most magical aspect of diamond beauty.
The article below gives an overview of the phenomenon. There is also an interesting video at the bottom comparing a GIA X with an AGS0 and illustrating how different proportion sets impact the the production of fire.
https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/diamond-fire-1568.htm

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Browns show color all the time much lower in the s-t range or lower.
S-T range browns are some of my favorites, there a pretty brown color and some have slight pink tone and others are a more yellow brown, they are light enough to blast off in the right light but dark enough to cut as an ideal cut diamond with nice color.
This comment reminded me about this awesome stone :))
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-yellowish-brown-octavia-in-cvb-solitaire.235908/

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results