shape
carat
color
clarity

Which has better proportions?

ill1918

Rough_Rock
Hi PSers,

Wanted to get your expert opinion on these two stones? Do they both fall under the "super ideal" range? Which of the two do you think would perform better?

I know it's often said that proportions don't tell the whole story, but any advice would be very helpful... TIA

Depth % 61.8
Table % 56.6
Crown Angle 34.9
Star 48.0
Pavilion Angle 40.7
Crown % 15.1
Lower Girdle % 76.0
Carat 1.18
Measurements 6.76x6.78x4.19 mm

Depth % 62.0
Table % 55.7
Crown Angle 34.7
Star 51.0
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Crown % 15.4
Lower Girdle % 77.0
Carat 1.083
Measurements 6.57 X 6.59 X 4.08

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We would need to know about faceting precision in order to say whether either falls into the super ideal range. Do you have any light performance images?

ill1918

Rough_Rock
There are reports and light performance images on the websites, but I don't know how I can share that without giving away the specific diamonds or the companies involved. It may be stupid, but I wanted the comparison to be as "blind" and unbiased as possible...

ill1918

Rough_Rock

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I love the second one by BG (great value!). It has a strong fluoro combined with cloud, but BGB line vets out stones with translucency issue - I'd double check though.
Next is the 4th one by WF.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Overall, you are looking at some good stones that are offered by quality vendors. The primary difference being the BGD stones are part of the "Blue series" which means they have medium+ levels of blue fluorescence. Some people are bothered by this, and others are not. As part of the BGD Blue series, these stones are screened to ensure they don't have transparency issues (milky/cloudy/hazy appearance). Positives of stones with medium+ levels of fluor is they normally trade at a discounted price so you get a little more stone for your buck. Also, under strong enough UV light the fluor will activate and can help whiten a stone by a small margin.

I bought my fiancee a BGD Blue H VS2 with MBF and find the effects of the fluor to be very minimal, so I would not buy with the mindset you get some magical color bump as a result. If so, you will be sorely disappointed IMO. Instead, buy the stone because it has the right proportions and is a good value and with the mindset that if you see any color improvements it's just a perk.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/news/brian-gavin-signature-diamonds-vs-brian-gavin-blue/

In comparison to these, the two WF stones you selected are A Cut Above (ACA) which is WF's premier H&A stones. These stones are all limited to negligible fluor, as that is the lowest available fluor rating offered via AGS certification. I would consider the ACA line a more direct comparison to the Signature series.

That said, I wouldn't have issues owning either brand of stone. However, from the four stones you listed I would personally narrow down to one of these two. Love the smaller tables and 34.5/40.7-40.8 angle combo. Those angle combos are highly sought after and will exhibit a very nice and firey stone that is well balanced with brilliance.

I do give kudos to the WF stone for having a better upgrade policy, and also being a little larger (about 0.20mm which is the point people can start to notice in a side by side comparison, although fairly minor overall). Worth noting the size difference as that is part of the reason for the gap in price. The other reason is the BGD stone has a lower price per carat due to the SBF.

BGD Blue 1.083ct I VVS2 @ $6,769
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...083-i-vvs2-round-diamond-ags-cbl-104103554004

55.7 table, 62 depth, 34.7 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 77 LGF
Strong blue fluor
Measures 6.57 x 6.59
Approx $6,250 per carat

Upgrade policy: In order to get full credit of the original stone, spend $1 more and upgrade 2 of the following 3: color, clarity & carat size.

Special request: Request a hearts image (available by request only on Blue series, and will be emailed to you) so you can confirm H&A faceting. Also confirm no transparency issues due to SBF.

WF ACA 1.177ct I VS2 @ $7,960
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4022281.htm

55.5 table, 61.9 depth, 34.6 crown, 40.7 pavilion & 77 LGF
Negligible fluor
Measures 6.76 x 6.78
Approx $6,763 per carat

Upgrade policy: Simply spend the same or more money to get full value. No other restrictions. =)2

Special request: Doubt it's an issue but have them confirm the stone is 100% eye clean from top and sides. Being a VS2 it should be. I see a few things in the magnified view but do not believe it will be an issue with the naked eye.

ill1918

Rough_Rock
Thank you for this very informative take, @sledge!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results