shape
carat
color
clarity

Victorian jewelry help needed!

LadyCroftVintage

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I recently acquired a small lot of Victorian jewelry and am a total novice. Could anyone help me with identifying the approximate value, era and materials of these pieces?
The one piece I can positively identify as true Victorian is the abalone cameo brooch because of the C closure. Help with the necklace and other brooch would be so appreciated!

20181213_154818.jpg 20181213_154930.jpg 20181213_155109.jpg 20181213_155126.jpg

20181213_155258.jpg 20181213_155205.jpg 20181213_154827.jpg 20181213_160654.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The mother of Pearl / shell brooch is lovely but you can’t really date jewellery from the clasp alone.
Are there any hallmarks on this piece?
The other cameo seems to be costume jewellery and modern, and the necklace looks older but I think it’s a modern reproduction in “the style”. It would be just gold plated (you can see the where the plating has worn off).
The mother of Pearl cameo is definitely worth the most, if it’s in gold a few hundred dollars, otherwise maybe $100.
The other cameo brooch, pretty, but if just gold plate and not natural materials ie costume jewellery $20, the necklace and pendant is showing wear and looks like reproduction as well so maybe $50 or so.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like only the abalone piece is the genuine carved cameo.
The others look to be costume jewelry with plastic cameos. The necklace might be slightly older, maybe 1940's, Victorian revival. The cameo pin maybe 1960s or 70s.
You can do the hot pin test to confirm plastic.
Heat the tip of a pin or needle with a lighter till very hot. Use pliers to hold the pin so you don't burn your fingers. Touch the tip of the pin to the edge or back of the cameo material. If it is plastic, the tip of the pin will sink into the material and create a tiny hole. Then you will know it is definitely not carved shell or stone.
The abalone looks like it is in sterling, Is there a mark?
The carving is kind of rough, and this influences value. If you look at cameos online, some are breathtaking in their beauty. And they can be very expensive.
I'm guessing on these values.
Necklace, $30
Cameo pin $5-$10
Abalone cameo pin ( if sterling) $30.
@Bron357 and I were posting at the same time, as you see, we vary on the prices!

Last edited:

LadyCroftVintage

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much! I had a feeling only the abalone was genuine as well.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like only the abalone piece is the genuine carved cameo.
The others look to be costume jewelry with plastic cameos. The necklace might be slightly older, maybe 1940's, Victorian revival. The cameo pin maybe 1960s or 70s.
You can do the hot pin test to confirm plastic.
Heat the tip of a pin or needle with a lighter till very hot. Use pliers to hold the pin so you don't burn your fingers. Touch the tip of the pin to the edge or back of the cameo material. If it is plastic, the tip of the pin will sink into the material and create a tiny hole. Then you will know it is definitely not carved shell or stone.
The abalone looks like it is in sterling, Is there a mark?
The carving is kind of rough, and this influences value. If you look at cameos online, some are breathtaking in their beauty. And they can be very expensive.
I'm guessing on these values.
Necklace, $30
Cameo pin $5-$10
Abalone cameo pin ( if sterling) $30.
@Bron357 and I were posting at the same time, as you see, we vary on the prices!
:wink2:

paperunicorn

Shiny_Rock
These are lovely, regardless of whether they're actually Victorian. I love the book chain on the necklace. I would suggest putting these on Etsy or Ebay if you decide to sell them, there's a pretty good market for Victorian and Victorian-style jewelry. Etsy can help you with pricing as well :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results