shape
carat
color
clarity

Used Tiffany Round Brilliant Solitaire Diamonds

thekwon

Rough_Rock
Questions for the group:

1. Assuming no chips or scratches, can used diamonds be reconditioned to look like new? What are the issues/risks if any?

2. I’m having a hard time finding information on the differences in Tiffany Round Brilliant cuts and facet designs over the years. I’m looking at purchasing a Tiffany Round Solitaire that was sold in 2010 and am wondering what the differences are between a 2010 and 2018 Tiffany Round Brillant Solitaire.

Thanks!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My understanding is that if Tiffany are selling round brilliants, they will be the same as any other bog standard 58 facet modern round brilliant. I don’t think there is any “special sauce” for one of their round brilliant stones at all.

Unless you are going after one of their specialty shapes, they are the same as any other round brilliant on the market. Some of them will fall within super ideal proportions, others won’t.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My understanding is that if Tiffany are selling round brilliants, they will be the same as any other bog standard 58 facet modern round brilliant. I don’t think there is any “special sauce” for one of their round brilliant stones at all.

Unless you are going after one of their specialty shapes, they are the same as any other round brilliant on the market. Some of them will fall within super ideal proportions, others won’t.

This. Also, many Tiffany MRB's are steep/deep. Unless the intended wearer is dead set on Tiffany, I'd get something larger and nicer for less. Just MHO. :)

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
1. Assuming no chips or scratches, can used diamonds be reconditioned to look like new? What are the issues/risks if any?

Apart from a good clean of the stone, that’s pretty much all you need. Unless you have bought fracture filled or a treated stone (which almost all of us here on PS would tell you to run away at warp speed from). If one of them, it’ll likely come out worse than its pre-cleaned condition.

A used/pre-owned setting however may require some work (repolishing, re-dipping if it’s rhodium plated, checking prongs for damage, etc).

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds are already a few million years old and given that there hasn’t be a change is the “standard” 58 facet brillant cut you couldn’t know when the diamond was actually cut and the original 58 facet brillant cut was invented on 1919!
What’s more important is the quality of the cut.
It’s how the facet angles reflect the light. You want a diamond that shows the most sparkle in the most lighting conditions. That’s what the HCA tool is about and unfortunately Tiffany diamonds while lovely aren’t ALL the best quality in colour, clarity or cut!
When you buy Tiffany you are paying a premium for the name, it’s just not true that Tiffany diamonds are “the best there is”. Certainly some will be fabulous but Tiffany sells lower colour, lower clarity and poorer cuts than people realize. That name and blue carry bag gets the punters every time.
If the name matters, buy Tiffany, but please check your selected diamonds angles in the HCA tool and check out prices for a similiar diamond with other vendors so you can make an educated decision.

thekwon

Rough_Rock
Extremely helpful guys. Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results