shape
carat
color
clarity

Sunstone for pendant for future DIL

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My future daughter-in-law wanted a sunstone for her engagement ring. I thought it would be nice to have a pendant made for her as a wedding gift from me. She likes simple design so I'm thinking of just a bezel with diamonds in the bale. Step son's birthstone is peridot and perhaps I'll put a single peridot below the bale but I'm not sure green would look good with the sunstone color. I won't make a decision until I meet with a designer.

3.50 ct barion cut from gemartservices. Vendor pic for now, just bought it a few minutes ago.

in sun.JPG

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful Sunstone - I love Jerry's cutting and think the stone will make a gorgeous pendant... will it be set in yellow gold?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think this sunstone will make for a beautiful pendant, but I am highly alarmed that your future DIL wants a sunstone for an engagement ring. Sunstones will not stand up to daily wear. They are between 6 and 6.5 on the hardness scale, meaning that common dust (7), stainless steel (6.5), and glass (6.5) can all scratch them. In your situation, I would try talking her out of it. Even if she is careful to not hit the sunstone against any surfaces or set it into a bezel, the facets would be worn away by dust in the air. This is why sunstone is considered a collector's stone and not practical for everyday jewellery.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this sunstone will make for a beautiful pendant, but I am highly alarmed that your future DIL wants a sunstone for an engagement ring. Sunstones will not stand up to daily wear. They are between 6 and 6.5 on the hardness scale, meaning that common dust (7), stainless steel (6.5), and glass (6.5) can all scratch them. In your situation, I would try talking her out of it. Even if she is careful to not hit the sunstone against any surfaces or set it into a bezel, the facets would be worn away by dust in the air. This is why sunstone is considered a collector's stone and not practical for everyday jewellery.
Unfortunately he had the ring made so he could propose to her on their vacation to Norway last year and I had no idea beforehand that she chose sunstone. I told her it wasn't a good choice and she had to be careful. The stone was originally bezel set and looked lovely and then she had it reset to into a regular head -- really high off the band -- and covered with so many prongs that you can hardly see the stone and it's really ugly now. So I'm thinking that in a short while, they'll realize their mistake and I can suggest making the original stone into an earring and having a matching one made. It's frustrating that my stepson didn't ask me for advice because he knows I know enough about gems to lend a helping hand but he obviously wanted to exercise his adulthood even though he didn't do it wisely :(2

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
will it be set in yellow gold
My memory is failing me but I think the engagement ring is rose gold. If so, I'll set it in the same.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ oh yes, rose gold would totally work too.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately he had the ring made so he could propose to her on their vacation to Norway last year and I had no idea beforehand that she chose sunstone. I told her it wasn't a good choice and she had to be careful. The stone was originally bezel set and looked lovely and then she had it reset to into a regular head -- really high off the band -- and covered with so many prongs that you can hardly see the stone and it's really ugly now. So I'm thinking that in a short while, they'll realize their mistake and I can suggest making the original stone into an earring and having a matching one made. It's frustrating that my stepson didn't ask me for advice because he knows I know enough about gems to lend a helping hand but he obviously wanted to exercise his adulthood even though he didn't do it wisely :(2
My sympathies there. I have a brother who is not close to proposing yet, but I let him know already that when it comes to an important and expensive ring he should ask me for opinions. I still worry that he might forget to ask me when that time comes. Young people these days often make spur-of-the-moment decisions that are not so financially astute.

Oh, and rose gold would be gorgeous with sunstone!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm wondering whether a deep green might go well with the orange sunstone? :think: My guess is that a lighter peridot might not be as complementary. Spinel was recently added as the August birthgem, so that will open up many more colour options for the sunstone.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most likely your stone will be far more beautiful than her ER stone. That in of itself may change their minds.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's going to be gorgeous! I love well cut sunstones, they are so pretty and come in such a fun variety of colors. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm wondering whether a deep green might go well with the orange sunstone?
I found a pendant with an emerald and I think a deep green would work only I would put the peridot in the bale where the diamond is and probably a diamond between the bale and sunstone.
Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 6.02.40 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 6.05.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 6.05.29 PM.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 14

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh! Is this the one Jerry described as “salmon pink?” I’d been watching that one for awhile and am so curious to see how the project turns out. Too bad about the ering :( but it’s so nice of you to choose a matching pendant and prioritize their wishes.

If you don’t like peridot with the sunstone, I think spinel has also been added to the birthstone list for August. Lots of color options there.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I'm wondering whether a deep green might go well with the orange sunstone? :think: My guess is that a lighter peridot might not be as complementary. Spinel was recently added as the August birthgem, so that will open up many more colour options for the sunstone.

No way, really? I am ridiculously pleased that I now get to claim spinel as a birthstone. I have tried and tried to love peridot but failed. And I don’t like sardonyx at all. Always felt a little hard done by in terms of birthstones since the preceding month is ruby and the following is sapphire :lol-2:.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I am ridiculously pleased that I now get to claim spinel as a birthstone. I have tried and tried to love peridot but failed. And I don’t like sardonyx at all. Always felt a little hard done by in terms of birthstones since the preceding month is ruby and the following is sapphire :lol-2:.
I don't mean to derail this thread, but ME TOO! With spinel as the new birthstone, I don't have to worry about how to make peridot match my wardrobe, since I wear only deeper jewel tones like red, blue, green when I wear color. I just can't love peridots with too much yellow. Sardonyx is just dull with no bling at all! Spinel is at least something I'd enjoy wearing and comes in quite a range of colors. The only gemstones as or more versatile are garnet and sapphire.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@peacechick and @voce -- Congratulations on your new birthstone!!!! I love spinel and have a 3.23 red one in my wedding ring. I expect both of you to acquire gorgeous stones very soon and look forward to seeing your pictures (hope you don't mind a little enabling :D)

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
@peacechick and @voce -- Congratulations on your new birthstone!!!! I love spinel and have a 3.23 red one in my wedding ring. I expect both of you to acquire gorgeous stones very soon and look forward to seeing your pictures (hope you don't mind a little enabling :D)

Thanks Matata, for letting us hijack your thread :) I already have a couple of spinel rings but now I have valid reasons to get more :whistle:.

I think your sunstone pendant will turn out absolutely gorgeous. It will be beautiful on its own although adding a deep green emerald would be lovely too, like in that design you showed. And young people are stubborn so you just have to let them make their own mistakes. I think it’s neat that your future DIL asked for a sunstone, it shows imagination and whimsy. It’s also a fairly inexpensive stone so it wasn’t like your stepson overpaid for a badly cut D VVS diamond. And after a few years, when they feel like upgrading, you’ll be there to help.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone arrived today. It looks just like the pictures. It has the right amount of schiller to make it very sparkly. I love it -- way too much -- because now I want to keep it for myself. But I won't, but I really want to.
First pic -- inside; 2nd pic in sun a bit out of focus.
granite.jpg flower pot.jpg

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The stone arrived today. It looks just like the pictures. It has the right amount of schiller to make it very sparkly. I love it -- way too much -- because now I want to keep it for myself. But I won't, but I really want to.
First pic -- inside; 2nd pic in sun a bit out of focus.
granite.jpg flower pot.jpg

It's gorgeous! I love the schiller and I think it will be stunning with an emerald. I sympathize with the desire to keep it for yourself and maybe you should? Get another for the DIL? :eek2: Sunstones are addicting!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results