shape
carat
color
clarity

Step Cut Syndrome - SMTB Edition

Sfadman

Rough_Rock
Hi amazing pricescope community! Here are a few pics of my latest upgrade, a 2.36 ct H VVS2 generic asscher (square emerald) that I can't stop looking at. GIA report # 1182475944.

Normally I'm color sensitive, but I have slowly come to the realization after a lot of research on these forums and watching a zillion GoG videos on Youtube that a well cut stone is better than a poorly cut higher color stone. Given how much I liked my husbands 2.24ct K VVS2 emerald cut with med blue fluorescence I decided to move color down the priority list.

These forums have provided so much information and inspiration that I did also want to say thank you to @kenny @Dancing Fire @marcy @OoohShiny @diamondseeker2006 for your technical conversations that have been very interesting and helpful to read (and re-read). I also love that there is a place for guys who are interested in diamonds (and other gems) to learn and be encouraged (I'm looking at you @kevnick80).

Anyway, here are some amateur photos I took of the latest generic asscher, hopefully the eagle eye folks here don't ID some kind of leakage or faceting issue - In person it performs like a fireball!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, gorgeous!!!:love: You did an excellent job choosing a stone! As you can see, H color is great for asschers! I love that it has a 61% table which allows the stone to have a nice crown! The light return looks really good! I also love that you made it into a pendant. Makes me want one! :lol:

Sfadman

Rough_Rock
@diamondseeker2006 Thanks so much for the feedback - I went to my jeweler to look at an F color 2.51 ct stone and another 2.48 ct G as well but they honestly did not look nearly as lively as this one and I am pretty sure I saw "windowing" towards the center on each. This H also has larger face up measurements as well which seems like a bonus. :twirl::whistle:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a beautiful pendant. I would love to see neck shots for size perspective. I have been thinking of an asscher pendant myself.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamy step cut heaven! :love:

We definitely need to see this bad boy around your neck!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing photos! Those steps!!!! Unreal that chain. Yes neck shots. With or without chest lettuce. :lol:

Sfadman

Rough_Rock
you folks are awesome haha and @ringo865 I will spare you any chest lettuce... :eek2:

I'm wearing it on a 24" silver chain that is 2.8mm thick, so I'm thinking of adjusting the length (20" or 22" maybe) or even getting a different thinner chain when we are in italy next month. I'm not sure yet so totally open to ideas. I do like to keep it under my shirt all day and let it out at home. I like the length right now because I can look at it more easily.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flipping gorgeous! I agree the chain length is perfect, but I would definitely go for a thinner one, so that your beautiful stone pops a bit more. I'm sure I probably have an appropriate chain somewhere, so you could just post that baby over to the UK & I'll fix it for you in no time :Up_to_something:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks great! I like that it's on a sturdy chain, I wouldn't want to risk losing something like that.

I think that I would also wear it under my (t-)shirt when out in public in a foreign country - although it would draw some admiring glances (and Italy is a very stylish place!) it may also draw attention from the sort of people you wouldn't want attention from, and a necklace could be the potential target of a 'snatch and run' in the more tourist-y areas.

I might just be sensitive to it because I saw a program this morning about pickpockets being rife in Barcelona :lol: but precautions are (sadly) essential in many places these days!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa! it is awesome and looks awesome on you.. great taste.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really nice stone...quite mesmerizing!

Sfadman

Rough_Rock
@OoohShiny Yeah i very much share your careful approach, I live in SF and even here one thinks about being mugged etc. the diamond usually stays under the shirt and away from view (I like wearing it even if nobody can see) and with friends maybe it pops out for a "low key high key moment" etc. I'm just thinking about getting a chain in italy next month, maybe more in the 1.5mm neighborhood. I do think this chain is sturdy though so i'm in no rush (would need to stress test any new chain).

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny Yeah i very much share your careful approach, I live in SF and even here one thinks about being mugged etc. the diamond usually stays under the shirt and away from view (I like wearing it even if nobody can see) and with friends maybe it pops out for a "low key high key moment" etc. I'm just thinking about getting a chain in italy next month, maybe more in the 1.5mm neighborhood. I do think this chain is sturdy though so i'm in no rush (would need to stress test any new chain).
I think that's a good approach to take - if your friends are proper friends, they won't compromise your safety in any way by mentioning it to random strangers elsewhere (etc etc). :)

I personally like the current chain - it looks sturdy and 'masculine'* and suits the size of stone IMHO. A thinner chain might look a bit... delicate??

*(I do not wish to infer that it is 'wrong' to be male and 'not masculine', whatever that means - it is so hard to find appropriate words in these gender- and sexuality-neutral times :lol: lol. We should wear whatever we want, without being judged by others!)

I think my only concern (of any chain) would be whether 24" might enable it to be slipped over the head too easily (in terms of potential theft risk). Mind you, you are in the US, and if the movies and TV shows are to be believed, you're more likely to just be handing it over at gunpoint than having it ripped off!!

Anyway, sorry, this is all getting a bit depressing... lol. It is annoying that we must think of these things rather than just enjoying what we have!!

I think you'll be just fine with your current approach - common sense usually sees us right :)

Sfadman

Rough_Rock
I think that's a good approach to take - if your friends are proper friends, they won't compromise your safety in any way by mentioning it to random strangers elsewhere (etc etc). :)

I personally like the current chain - it looks sturdy and 'masculine'* and suits the size of stone IMHO. A thinner chain might look a bit... delicate??

*(I do not wish to infer that it is 'wrong' to be male and 'not masculine', whatever that means - it is so hard to find appropriate words in these gender- and sexuality-neutral times :lol: lol. We should wear whatever we want, without being judged by others!)

I think my only concern (of any chain) would be whether 24" might enable it to be slipped over the head too easily (in terms of potential theft risk). Mind you, you are in the US, and if the movies and TV shows are to be believed, you're more likely to just be handing it over at gunpoint than having it ripped off!!

Anyway, sorry, this is all getting a bit depressing... lol. It is annoying that we must think of these things rather than just enjoying what we have!!

I think you'll be just fine with your current approach - common sense usually sees us right :)

Yeah my friends have not yet noticed but eventually they will haha

I also like the thicker chain, but do think it could be a bit thinner without looking too light. I know what you are talking about, but there are a lot of guys wearing rather thin chains in layers with various items hanging from each and it looks kind of cool. Trends these days do really boarder on gender blending style but I'm not trying go go there necessarily though I am trying to work out more so it lands in just the right spot mid chest......haha...

I'm actually resetting my old platinum ring with onyx (Took out the diamond I traded up with) and making it larger to fit on my middle finger.

The chain is more practical to wear the diamond I think, as my old ring took a beating and it seems less practical to wear with all the travel I do (to your earlier point about muggings). Someday I'll probably reset in a ring ...or upgrade again...who knows...orrr I could find a perfect traffic red untreated ruby to set in place of the onyx someday...haha:lol:

One thing I do love about the Asscher cut, is that it is catching the light with a different character than my spouses Emerald cut, and i LOVE IT. That is all :):dance:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both beautiful!

Ulla

Rough_Rock
5CE9E73E-5C3E-43FD-BF67-263F765B8DB3.jpeg 8BA2FBF4-3C97-4C8F-8E5F-D86A5E556B11.jpeg

Thanks so much @Ulla ! It’s a channel set baguette half eternity - stats are 2.06 cts e-f color VVS1 clarity w 13 Stones ...husband has a full eternity...

Beautiful but I like your husband's ring better. Just by description of it. :love:

Ps. Pardon my english it's not my language.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
7C0551AC-E5F1-41CC-AF83-1584B79CCC34.jpeg B9DC107B-D978-4E68-A3EF-BDBAB9664548.jpeg 08FD944A-C312-4DE0-8B62-970BF3EB6E77.jpeg

Adding some pics including the emerald cut - for your step cut viewing pleasure.

You can see the thinner chain I’m thinking about on that one it’s I think 1.7mm.
That's an awesome pair of stepcuts you both have :)

I shall page @Matthews1127 for the eye candy :D lol

Nitedula

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone! I like the chain style, but I would go a bit shorter and maybe a touch thinner, personally, just to let the diamond stand out a little more. Then again, I'm female, so my taste may not coincide with yours. Nevertheless, it looks great on you!

Also, have you posted photos of your husband's diamond? It sounds worthy of its own thread...

Edit: Whoops, you posted them while I was writing! I love it! Very nice diamond, and the slightly different step-cuts work really well as a "couple's" set.

Last edited:

Sfadman

Rough_Rock
@Matthews1127 Thank you! :)

@Nitedula Thanks so much! I also agree that slightly thinner and slightly shorter for the chain might be ideal. Will be fun to find just the right chain that "works"....The problem with the couples set is now we have two people with DSS (It will set in in about 6 months).

@OoohShiny wooo thank you, the step cuts have really got me hypnotized -I had some other brilliant cuts and there sure is the sparkle factor, but somehow not *quite* as mesmerizing...hehe

@Ulla oh and btw your english is just fine :)

@Alex T Thanks so much for the feedback - I read pricescope (including your posts) so much I thought posting might be fun too! You can see the slightly thinner chain does look good - or maybe it's just that the grass is always greener...and feel free to send spare chains from UK!! :bigsmile::halo:

@tyty333 & @junebug17 Thank You for the nice words! It is intimidating posting these for this illustrious community and your encouragement is really appreciated.

@luv2sparkle Thank you for the feedback - where are you at in your asscher pendant process? :think:

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
7C0551AC-E5F1-41CC-AF83-1584B79CCC34.jpeg B9DC107B-D978-4E68-A3EF-BDBAB9664548.jpeg 08FD944A-C312-4DE0-8B62-970BF3EB6E77.jpeg

Adding some pics including the emerald cut - for your step cut viewing pleasure.

You can see the thinner chain I’m thinking about on that one it’s I think 1.7mm.

I would think the asscher cut diamond spackles more:sun:. They are both very elegant though.
Personally I like the colour from D to H but I think VVS clarity is "too high" ( mine is also VVS:lol:). Why don't we choose VS instead to get the bigger stones?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results