shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Indecision for Dream CER diamond

wildcatz

Rough_Rock
First a little backstory; I wanted to reset my 1.7 radiant diamond because a) the ring needed resizing and b) my tastes had changed and I was tired of the setting and wanted to put it into a simple solitaire. I thought my husband was on board, he said he was anyway until we were at a jewelry store and I had chosen a new setting. Then he got all sentimental and decided he really didn't want me to reset it and offered to buy me another diamond to set any way I liked and keep my current ring as is as a blingy alternative ring. Well, I couldn't pass on that offer so we just resized my current ring, which now looks amazing as it was terribly dirty and they rhodium plated the platinum while they were at it.

We trudged around in the rain to all the jewelry stores in Portland over the next week looking at antique cut diamonds. I have been wanting one for a long time but didn't think it would ever happen. I wasn't in love with any I saw so I contacted Old World diamonds too. Nothing in my price range was quite right and I realized I really valued symmetry so I turned to newly cut diamonds such as the AVR and CER. One of the CER's really jumped off the screen to us and my husband encourage me to choose this one, so I did. I love that Victor's diamonds have an open culet.

Stats: 1.713 K VS1 AGS graded

Link: https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104100176001-1.713-k-vs1-ideal-estimated-old-european-cut

Stats.JPG Top diamond.JPG

ASET.JPG Idealscope.JPG

Next: Setting dilemma

wildcatz

Rough_Rock
The good thing about visiting the local shops was that I got to try on a lot of settings (and a gorgeous emerald ring in an Erika Winters setting that we won't talk about which was above the cost of diamonds). Anyway, I really liked a Single Stone setting in yellow gold. It had a nice sized band on it which is important to me as I really want a stand alone ring and not wear a separate wedding band. But my husband didn't like the bezel and it was really more than I would want to spend anyway. But I love the band with the engraving.

Single Stone.png

I really like six prong settings and this one from Love Affair Diamonds really caught my eye but I don't know if I would like this setting in yellow gold. Some settings just look better to me in one metal versus another.

LAD side.JPG
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/the-marilyn-solitaire-setting/

Of course the sensible thing to do would be have have Victor make a setting and you do get a discount on the setting from him if you buy a diamond. And if I wanted a halo, this is absolutely what I would do, but I definitely do not want a halo. The whole idea was to have a more simple, everyday ring but an old cut does call out for a vintage setting and many vintage settings are not so simple. This is my conundrum.

wildcatz

Rough_Rock
I think I love all of Victor's settings. For the past two weeks I have spent way too much time on his website and daily changing my mind on my favorite.

I really like this six prong setting with the sapphire except - it is not a cathedral setting and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I love the scalloped basket. And I worry that the band is going to be too narrow for me but I don't want the band to be out of proportion to the basket.

The Vintage solitaire with the cushion has a cathedral and a more substantial band but is a four prong and I would lose the scalloped basket.

I would love any recommendations or suggestions anybody has to offer. I don't feel any closer to making a decision than I did two weeks ago.

Vintage 6 prong.png Vintage solitaire.png

Attachments

• Vintage 6 prong.png
    Vintage 6 prong.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Vintage 6 prong.png
    Vintage 6 prong.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Vintage solitaire.png
    Vintage solitaire.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 11

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your beautiful new diamond!

Victor can make the scalloped head with a cathedral shank! If that’s what you like, just ask him! I also prefer the cathedral shank. That will be beautiful!

wildcatz

Rough_Rock
Congrats on your beautiful new diamond!

Victor can make the scalloped head with a cathedral shank! If that’s what you like, just ask him! I also prefer the cathedral shank. That will be beautiful!

Would you suggest a 4 or 6 prong scalloped setting with a cathedral? He does both but I have not seen photos of either with a cathedral. It makes me wonder if how well they would go together. I don't trust myself at all to request a Frankenstein ring with parts from different rings stuck together. I would much prefer to see how it would work before committing and I don't believe that Victor does CADS. Also, I think that if it doesn't already exist, there must be a reason.

On another note, if doing YG, would you do a platinum head with this design? I tend to think a K would be fine all in YG. Again it is hard for me to picture the setting with a platinum head.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tel Victor what you want. 4 or 6 prong with cathedral setting. Then ask him if he thinks it will look good. If he says “yes, it will”, then you have your answer. If he says “it will not look that good”, then you have your answer as well.

4 or 6 prong completely depends on if you want and more square or a more round look. Only you can decide that.

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
Victor does such beautiful work that I would most likely tell him what I like and why I like it, then leave it to him to come up with something.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh; what a beautiful diamond! I can so relate to your conundrum, as this has been me in a nutshell several times over the last few years. Setting decisions can feel overwhelming, but they are also a ton of fun! As far as the 4 vs. 6 prong, that is really personal preference, and you might want to try on a few of each type locally just to be sure.

In any case, I can assure you that you are in amazing hands with Victor and he will create something incredible for your new CER! I am sure that he can make that Vintage Crown design with a scalloped basket... I think that would be absolutely gorgeous! :love: And if you have other design ideas in mind, feel free to voice them and then let him take the wheel... Victor does not disappoint!

Here is my current ring, which features a 4-prong version of a scalloped basket with cathedral shoulders. Truth be told, though, I like the basket on the Vintage Crown ring even better! :love: I am posting the Vintage Six Prong Crown next to it in case that helps you visualize the possibilities. Regardless, please keep us posted with any developments. I can't wait to see what you decide!! :loopy:

10305-Cathedral-Band-Solitaire-with-Scalloped-Basket-4-original.jpg VC Vintage Six Prong Crown Solitaire 1.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Gorgeous diamond!! I am no help--difficult but fun decisions!!

cheers--Sharon

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Vintage Crown with cathedral shoulders would look beautiful and very elegant. You have a beautiful stone

wildcatz

Rough_Rock
Oh my gosh; what a beautiful diamond! I can so relate to your conundrum, as this has been me in a nutshell several times over the last few years. Setting decisions can feel overwhelming, but they are also a ton of fun! As far as the 4 vs. 6 prong, that is really personal preference, and you might want to try on a few of each type locally just to be sure.

In any case, I can assure you that you are in amazing hands with Victor and he will create something incredible for your new CER! I am sure that he can make that Vintage Crown design with a scalloped basket... I think that would be absolutely gorgeous! :love: And if you have other design ideas in mind, feel free to voice them and then let him take the wheel... Victor does not disappoint!

Here is my current ring, which features a 4-prong version of a scalloped basket with cathedral shoulders. Truth be told, though, I like the basket on the Vintage Crown ring even better! :love: I am posting the Vintage Six Prong Crown next to it in case that helps you visualize the possibilities. Regardless, please keep us posted with any developments. I can't wait to see what you decide!! :loopy:

10305-Cathedral-Band-Solitaire-with-Scalloped-Basket-4-original.jpg VC Vintage Six Prong Crown Solitaire 1.jpg

I love your setting, it is one that I keep going back to and it it the only one on his website showing a scalloped head with a cathedral. I really like your idea of adding the vintage 6 prong crown.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, it gives me confidence to call Victor next week and ask for his advice on what would work.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love your setting, it is one that I keep going back to and it it the only one on his website showing a scalloped head with a cathedral. I really like your idea of adding the vintage 6 prong crown.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, it gives me confidence to call Victor next week and ask for his advice on what would work.

Thank you for your kind words about my setting. I adore the classic beauty of it as well! I loooooove that Vintage Crown basket, though!! :love:

Please keep us all posted with updates as things progress! I will be curious to hear any insights and suggestions Victor has to offer with regard to a new design for you!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@wildcatz, I just wanted to check back to see if you have any updates to share? :)

Last edited:

wildcatz

Rough_Rock
I ended up taking Victor’s advice. I told him I preferred a six prong with a cathedral setting and he suggested pairing the Vintage 6 prong with the cathedral band option with pave. So the sides will look like the ring below.

E9A20E8A-39FB-403D-9309-E799F2310F02.jpeg

With this head
6B10EB09-5075-4788-B24B-AC4CE7EA229B.jpeg

It’s a somewhat more modern look than I originally was looking for but I think it will be very easy to wear as an everyday ring, which was my goal for a new ring. Now the wait. As long as I have it before Xmas, I’ll be happy.

Attachments

• 49073DBF-2F8D-4153-8D33-F2221C48450E.jpeg
    49073DBF-2F8D-4153-8D33-F2221C48450E.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 7B5F94F1-FE79-44CC-AE03-B8B722524840.jpeg
    7B5F94F1-FE79-44CC-AE03-B8B722524840.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 11

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, that sounds absolutely gorgeous!! :love: I trust Victor implicitly on all design-related details, so I know this is going to be amazing! I can hardly wait to see it... please keep us posted with updates and photos once you receive it!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting!! I can’t wait to see the finished piece.

wildcatz

Rough_Rock
My ring arrived much more quickly than I expected. My photos need to go in the 'old hands' thread, LOL. But I know it is the ring you are interested in so I will post here. I just want to say that I am completely blown away by this ring. I have never felt this way about a piece of jewelry before. I can't stop looking at it. It throws off massive sparks of fire, it is incredibly white, even from the side and it is a K in color. Now I just need to choose a band to go with it.

. vc1.jpg vc2.jpg vc3.jpg vc4.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it’s turned out so beautifully! Gorgeous setting for such a fantastic stone :appl:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
It's so elegantly gorgeous! Congrats on your new bling, and for getting it before the holidays!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! Your ring is so beautiful, and it has a classic, timeless grace to it! :love: You made an excellent choice and Victor did an amazing job. It already looks so at home on your hand!

If you like the matching look, I think that a bright cut band with millgrain would be fantastic, but I am sure that Victor can recommend the perfect band to complement your gorgeous new creation! I hope you enjoy this treasure and feel free to post many more photos!!

Last edited:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh it's absolutely beautiful!!! Love every single thing about it and it looks fabulous on you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! :love: So beautiful and it looks perfect on your finger.:appl:

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It turned out perfectly! What a stunning stone.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out beautifully! Congrats!! :love::dance:

wildcatz

Rough_Rock
Wow! Your ring is so beautiful, and it has a classic, timeless grace to it! :love: You made an excellent choice and Victor did an amazing job. It already looks so at home on your hand!

If you like the matching look, I think that a bright cut band with millgrain would be fantastic, but I am sure that Victor can recommend the perfect band to complement your gorgeous new creation! I hope you enjoy this treasure and feel free to post many more photos!!

I was thinking of getting this band, but I put the question to Victor as to which one he would choose and he suggested this one:

marquise.JPG

I do like this one but wouldn't have thought of it myself. I'm thinking I might do this style but only a half band with the scallops as I would like the option to resize. I have a daughter and a granddaughter and just might like to pass it on someday. Plus I am having a hard time figuring out what the best size is for myself. What do you think of half eternities?

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was thinking of getting this band, but I put the question to Victor as to which one he would choose and he suggested this one:

marquise.JPG

I do like this one but wouldn't have thought of it myself. I'm thinking I might do this style but only a half band with the scallops as I would like the option to resize. I have a daughter and a granddaughter and just might like to pass it on someday. Plus I am having a hard time figuring out what the best size is for myself. What do you think of half eternities?
Oh wow; I hadn't thought of the marquise-shaped pave eternity band, but I think it would complement the basket of your ring very nicely! I actually have this band and I absolutely love its scalloped shape, and it is also incredibly comfortable to wear.

As far as half eternities go, I think it really comes down to personal preference. I prefer full eternities because of the rolling factor (I don't like to see the plain part of the eternity roll around to the top) but I can certainly understand the practical aspect of preserving a resizing option. Perhaps a 3/4 eternity would help to solve the rolling issue while also satisfying the desire for resizing latitude. I would definitely ask Victor what he thinks about this, as he may have an even better solution. In any case, I am excited for you, and please keep us posted once you decide on a band!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful! You have made great choices and Victor did such a great job.
I looooove the look on your finger.
Enjoy wearing this beauty

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results