shape
carat
color
clarity

Removing rhodium plating - how easy?

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How easy is it to strip rhodium plating from a ring with prongs and intricate details?
I usually just get platinum for rings, or unplated white gold. I hate rhodium on rings.
I have a white gold ring that was supposed to be unplated, which wrongly got rhodium plated. Ugh!
Now I have the option to have the rhodium removed (stripped and then polished), but I have doubts about whether all of the rhodium would be cleanly removed, and that the polishing will not only remove the gold, but also fine details like milgrains, etc. Also would the center stone need to be unmounted then remounted? I don't know whether I should leave it just as is, and wait for it to just naturally lose the plating (unevenly), or have it stripped. I just don't feel like having it stripped would give it the same result as never having it plated in the first place, you know.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could answer your question but I have an 18k white gold ring that I had to get rhodium plated a couple of times, and it’s came off easily with regular wear. It’s a Tacori style mount that has extremely detailed mill grain and other engraved work. It kind of looks “dirty” without the rhodium plating to me, but some people like the natural look of white gold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results