shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me find an OVAL.

YoManila

Rough_Rock
Hi PSers,

All the information on this forum has been extremely helpful! With that said, I was hoping that someone might help me find the perfect OVAL diamond given my budget.

What I've done so far:
  • First, I have been to several B&M (family owned or private jewelers) in my state, but the large variances in prices between shops have given me pause.
  • Second, I've started to look at online wholesalers (primarily just JA & BN) - open to other recommendations
  • Third, going to NYC for work and made an appointments (BrilliantlyEngaged & IDJ) - open to other recommendations
Questions (I have paralysis analysis at this point):
  • Do private jewelers price ensure a better cut diamond? For example: 1.56 E VS2 (private) >> 1.56 E VS2 (other shop); $3000 difference.
  • Should I buy at a local B&M vs Online vs NYC?
Budget and rough criteria: Open to recommendations on what aspect (4Cs) you think I should maximize because I've seen 1.5ct diamond that looks very similar to a 1.8ct diamond (poor cut and thick girdle).
  • $17,000
  • Carat: 1.5-2.0
  • Color: D/E/F
  • Clarity: SI1 or above (eye clean without black crystal inclusions)
  • L/W: ~1.3-1.4
I may be over analyzing the GIA certificates.
Help me please. Thanks in advance!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

YoManila

Rough_Rock
HI:

Welcome! This is what we do--over analyze! LOL

Have you looked here?

https://www.augustvintageinc.net/collections/opulence

Fancy shapes can be tricky; notwithstanding we all like different proportions....but overall sparkle is best lol

cheers--Sharon

I actually stumbled upon it reading through another forum. Unfortunately, they only have 3 ovals in the 1.5-2.0 range - I did send an email to inquire about inventory.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The only think with AVOs is they will face up smaller than the average ovals but they will preform better due to their branded cut. So if you don’t mind sacrificing face up size for this then I recommend the AVOs, if not then it will be marginally harder to find a nicely cut oval but not impossible.

YoManila

Rough_Rock
I really love the brilliance in the AVOs and am not too worried about the size since it will probably be set in a halo. Looking at the AGS reports - I am worried about the inclusions. Which of the following AVOs is the best with what is currently available.

1.5 F SI1 (black inclusions)
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...ducts/1-5ct-f-si1-august-vintage-oval-1346165

1.5 G SI1 (near crown)
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...ducts/1-5ct-g-si1-august-vintage-oval-1649420

1.53 G SI1 (across table)
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...ucts/1-53ct-g-si1-august-vintage-oval-1823330

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For me it’s between the 1st and 3rd. I like the measurements of the 3rd one and it has a great price, but the inclusion in the 1st one aren’t terrible. Can they send you a video side by side of both diamonds?

YoManila

Rough_Rock
Local jeweler just contacted me about the oval below - any thoughts?

1.7 F VS2 [GIA 7296068048] - $13360

YoManila

Rough_Rock
For me it’s between the 1st and 3rd. I like the measurements of the 3rd one and it has a great price, but the inclusion in the 1st one aren’t terrible. Can they send you a video side by side of both diamonds?

Did you have any concerns about the inclusions in those diamonds? I spoke with Jon from August Vintage and he ensured me that they were eye-clean.
  • Diamond 1 seemed to have black crystals
  • Diamond 3 seemed to have inclusions on the table

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Local jeweler just contacted me about the oval below - any thoughts?

1.7 F VS2 [GIA 7296068048] - $13360

We cant really tell anything from the numbers for fancy cuts like ovals. We need pictures and videos.

AVOs
I would ask for videos of diamonds 1 and 3 from about 6 inches to see if you can see the inclusions.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did you have any concerns about the inclusions in those diamonds? I spoke with Jon from August Vintage and he ensured me that they were eye-clean.
  • Diamond 1 seemed to have black crystals
  • Diamond 3 seemed to have inclusions on the table

For me with Jon saying they are both eye clean then I would get 3 because that’s a fantastic price and I like the size.

YoManila

Rough_Rock
We cant really tell anything from the numbers for fancy cuts like ovals. We need pictures and videos.

AVOs
I would ask for videos of diamonds 1 and 3 from about 6 inches to see if you can see the inclusions.

Middle diamond is the 1.7 F VS2
20181024_172148.jpg
20181024_172502.jpg

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing! I'm torn between that AVO and the 1.7 oval below. Thoughts?

I think it’s a very pretty oval but there is a bow tie, minimal but it’s there. Personally I’m also not a fan of the shape, it looks squaty but that could just be the photo

I think this is going to boil down to which you like more, both are lovely

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw one of Jon's ovals IRL for the first time this past weekend at the GTG in the Boston area hosted by @mrs-b. Some of us l went outside to look at a few of Jon's stones and I have to say that the oval was spectacular for fire and brilliance, so I would lean toward one of those if you can get satisfied with the clarity. After seeing one in person, I really wanted one!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing! I'm torn between that AVO and the 1.7 oval below. Thoughts?
I prefer the AVO- I find the shape more pleasing and the sparkle can’t be beat!

YoManila

Rough_Rock
Still love AVOs (aside from the clarity)... I'm also worried she might just prefer the traditional oval. Will continue to ogle at the AVO diamond in Instagram while I wait for Jon to get back to me regarding inventory.

Few more options for anyone that can help (or @KKJohnson):
Is there one with significantly less bowtie (I've asked for the ASET image for the Brilliance stones) or more ideal characteristic/shape

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I would consider the 3rd one out of this list, depending on the ASET image.

With the AVOs they just an improved cut of the traditional oval, they are cut to eliminate the bow tie you see in most ovals which is typical of any elongated diamond. It’s just one of the downsides of having that type of fancy shape. Jon has been in the business for a long time and he has some fantastic videos, I suggest watching some. It gives you an idea of how he judges diamonds which is nice to know when considering buying from a vendor
https://vimeo.com/diamondinfo

Did you see this comparison of the AVO and a regular oval? https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjf3s02A0Vx/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1k24asz5r2yc5

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know this might be crazy but have you considered buying an AVO and then taking it to a local jeweler to compare to an unbranded oval? That way you can see the difference in person and judge if you like it or not, if you don’t then you can return back to Jon during the return window for a full refund.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
and see if you can take them outside to see instead of in the jewelry store lighting.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Was Jon able to get back to you today?

YoManila

Rough_Rock
Was Jon able to get back to you today?

Yes, he did! Unfortunately, the list he received today were all under 1ct. I'm hoping he gets a few larger ones. Fingers crossed - my timeline is narrowing.

YoManila

Rough_Rock
Hi all (@KKJohnson @leukolenos @Lookinagain @tyty333),

I feel like I'm really close to finding an E-ring for my girlfriend! Mind sharing your opinion between the two below:
  1. Do you think the I color will be significantly warmer? I know Jon mentions minimized color absorption frequently in his videos.
  2. Does the SI2 clarity a both any of you? It isn't across the table, which I like!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any idea of the color tolerance or sensitivity of the intended wearer? The I color would be fine for me and yes, the AVO will appear whiter than a regular cut oval which can tend to concentrate color in the tips. If it were me, I'd go with the I, SI2 but it's not for me. The SI2 looks cleaner in the video than the SiI. You should ask Jon about any durability issues. Also, I don't think I saw that you mentioned what kind of setting but I may have missed it. What style and metal?

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Marry me and I will take ANY of those AVOs :lol::lol::lol:

But I agree. It's hard to go wrong with any of Jon's stones. Like Lookinagain, I prefer the SI2, as the inclusion on the side is not very noticeable, and it's bigger :) . But definitely check in with you SO to see how color sensitive she is. My understanding is that I is a pretty standard color for the "average" diamond buyer. But you are on PS, so one can never assume "average" expectations ;P (not that any AVO is average...)

YoManila

Rough_Rock
Do you have any idea of the color tolerance or sensitivity of the intended wearer? The I color would be fine for me and yes, the AVO will appear whiter than a regular cut oval which can tend to concentrate color in the tips. If it were me, I'd go with the I, SI2 but it's not for me. The SI2 looks cleaner in the video than the SiI. You should ask Jon about any durability issues. Also, I don't think I saw that you mentioned what kind of setting but I may have missed it. What style and metal?

She wants it be simple and elegant, but I want it also look unique lol.
  • Platinum
  • Halo (do PSers prefer single-sided vs double-sided)
  • Pave shank
  • Not sure what the design underneath the diamond will look quite yet

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hmmm. That’s tough. I like both of them but if there’s any doubt about her color sensitivity, I’d probably choose the G.

It’s a great SI2, but I’ve seen the G/si1 In person and it’s eye clean, so I can’t say for me that would be the deciding factor.

There’s an almost $4k price difference between the two...if you got the 1.53 G, you could pay for the setting with the cost differential. $4k is a big swing. I think for me the G might win from a value proposition.

Which way are you leaning?

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What size finger does your intended wear? The 2ct haloed might look large on her (unless she likes large diamonds) most women who are not use to wearing jewelry everyday find that they are uncomfortable with larger diamonds. Has she gone in and tried on a 2 ct halo and like it?

**if her finger is smaller than a 6 these stones will appear larger, also hopefully I did this correct (I’ve never had to add a halo melee to the diamond size before

Here are the diamond sized compared to each other, you will see a visual difference between sizes
https://www.diamdb.com/compare/1.53ct-oval-8.35x6.13x4.65-vs-2.01ct-oval-8.82x6.46x5.16/
6A8A0BE6-BB3C-4A9B-8723-28E793A7E9F3.png

Here is the 1.53 haloed and the 2.01 unhaloed, not much of a difference and it may not be visible to the eye
https://www.diamdb.com/compare/1.53ct-oval-8.55x6.33x4.65-vs-2.01ct-oval-8.82x6.46x5.16/
6BA9652C-7702-4E69-8EC0-144B255CC050.png

This is both haloed, again there is a visual size difference
https://www.diamdb.com/compare/1.53ct-oval-8.55x6.33x4.65-vs-2.01ct-oval-9.02x6.66x5.16/
B9B8D1EB-13B7-45E7-B073-ABECC6785742.png

Most would like the1.53 halo better than the 2ct halo just because of a size difference on the finger. Social circle, cultural/family expectations, or where y’all live can also play a role in stone size.

Also the setting would a personal preference, does she work with her hands a lot? If she does then less melee the better as there would be a concern over losing stones

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Following up on KKJohnson's post, here's a photo of a 1.5 ct with a small halo on a size 5 finger. I wanted you to see this depiction of a real life ring because it does not have a pave shank & I'm thinking that a plain shank might better suit a woman who's said she wants "simple and elegant" ;))
1.5 ct oval on size 5 ring finger.jpg

YoManila

Rough_Rock
Hmmm. That’s tough. I like both of them but if there’s any doubt about her color sensitivity, I’d probably choose the G.

It’s a great SI2, but I’ve seen the G/si1 In person and it’s eye clean, so I can’t say for me that would be the deciding factor.

There’s an almost $4k price difference between the two...if you got the 1.53 G, you could pay for the setting with the cost differential. $4k is a big swing. I think for me the G might win from a value proposition.

Which way are you leaning?

@KKJohnson @Lookinagain @elliefire99 @leukolenos Wow thank you so much for all the input thus far!

Light sensitivity: She was able to spot the G/H diamonds that we viewed (face-up), but to be fair it was next to an E. Surprisingly, one of her favorites was actually the H (she even thought it was whiter than the G)!

Rings Size: She is a 4.25-4.5(swollen)
  • Halo the 1.5ct
  • Non-halo the 2ct
My thoughts: I'm actually leaning towards the 2ct without a halo in a simple pave setting, but it's hard to ignore that price difference =\

Working with Jon to leverage his expertise - very excited about the process.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results