shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl studs coming unglued

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is driving me crazy. I've worn pearl studs (on my second pair now) since about 2007, not daily but pretty frequently, and every few months one comes unglued. Then I have to go to my jeweler, drop it off, make another trip back, yada yada. Is there a pearl stud out there that DOES NOT do this? These are freshwaters and nothing terribly expensive--I just have to wear 14k + metal in my ears due to a nickel allergy and I like the way they look. One of my Christmas gifts was a strand of 8-9mm from Pearl Paradise so I'd like to continue wearing studs but if I'm paying $100/pair only to have to pay the $10 reglueing fee several times a year I might as well just upgrade if that's something that stops with better quality pearls?
Thanks for any insight.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i have never had a pearl stud come unglued and mine are nothing fancy and the oldest pair i got 25 years ago....i'd try e6000 glue (available at craft stores) or the epoxy mentioned above. sounds like maybe the hole was drilled too big? epoxy might be able to fill it in. good luck!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never had studs come unglued either! Is it possible the finding is not the right size for the hole?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truthfully, I've never had anything come unglued either. Including my diy pair that I bought the epoxy for. Are you showering in them? (maybe water dissolves the glue over time?)

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I've only ever had one come unglued and a dab of superglue fixed that! Think the hole & fixing don't match.... I'd just get some glue for yourself. :read:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:(2
It's certainly possible that this is user error...
--I do not shower or sleep in them and make sure to keep perfume and hairspray or any type of product away from them.
--I don't put them in any type of cleaning solution and definitely not in my ultrasonic. I just wipe them with a jewelry cloth every couple years when I remember.
--It has happened repeatedly with two different pairs of studs, purchased from entirely different sources. One a department store and the first pair a gem show.
--I do possess E6000 glue and can use that to reglue them myself, I suppose.
--@pearlsngems I can't imagine that two different pairs of studs have the same issue with the finding being the incorrect size for the hole in the pearl, although I guess stranger things have happened!

I thought of another factor that could potentially be causing this: instead of using the teeny tiny backs that both pairs of studs came with, I switched to jumbo backs that work on friction posts. They do feel a bit tighter when attaching than the little standard issue earring backs. Maybe there is too much force with the jumbo backs when taking off/putting on?

I'm about to just glue the pearls themselves to my ears and say F the posts. :confused2: Ok, honestly I'll probably get one of the glues you gracious folks suggested and be done worrying about it indefinitely.

Thanks! :wavey:

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
We switched to gel superglue around three years ago after a few epoxy fails. Never had a problem since. If the same earrings are failing over and over then your jeweller's technique must be wrong
To re-set your pearls yourself buy a tube of gel superglue and buy a tube of gel superglue remover at the same time so that if it goes wrong or you glue your pearl to your nose by mistake you can unglue yourself
Clean off every scrap of old glue (use a needle point to pick it off, a bit like picking off nail polish). Then check the fit of the post into the pearl. If there is sideways play there is your problem, the post is too small for the hole. You need new findings because they will never stay stuck. There should be no wobbling around in the hole. Go to a new jeweller or a jewellery supply company and purchase new
If the fit is fine put a tiny dot of glue on the end of the post and another on the inside of the cup. Insert the finding into the pearl and wriggle and spin it around for a couple of seconds to distribute the glue. Then push firmly down and hold for a few more second. Leave to set.
Resist the temptation to add a gallon of glue. Glue works by creating a vacuum (like two glasses stuck together)Less is better
Hope this helps

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
I thought of another factor that could potentially be causing this: instead of using the teeny tiny backs that both pairs of studs came with, I switched to jumbo backs that work on friction posts. They do feel a bit tighter when attaching than the little standard issue earring backs. Maybe there is too much force with the jumbo backs when taking off/putting on?

I have a pair of freshwater studs that I had to re-glue a few times over several years. I also switched to bigger earring backs, I wonder if that did contribute!
The first time I had my jeweler glue it for me, but he told me it was easy enough to do at home. So that’s what I did after that. It didn’t happen often enough that I was frustrated with them. Maybe 3-4 times in 9 years?

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
At the moment I am working on something with gold leaf so it is a fine layer of gold on my nose!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I've never had any pearls come unglued. I use a Jewellery glue called Aron. There are a couple of possibilities... as Pearlescence mentions..if the hold is too big and they save money by using a smaller back then it will never fit properly. You will need a larger back . The peg might be very short as well?

When I glue studs..it can literally take me an hour of boiling water and then Acetone and then pulling with pliers /repeat/repeat/repeat to get the cup off. After doing this a couple of times I totally stopped worrying that my pearls might fall off. If the hole and peg are the correct fit then follow Pearlescence's directions . Also, I take a file ( metal nail file will work ) and if the peg is smooth ... then use the file to rough it up.. take the edge and make little cuts in the metal/scratches . This helps the bond by created more surface. You can also scratch the inside of the cup.

Anyone can set a pearl , you just need the correct fit between the peg and the pearl.

good luck... you have definitely had some bad luck !

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Is your cup post very short or the drill hole much larger than the post?

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Monarch. How are your earrings?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results