color
clarity

Opinions on size of emerald earrings and earrings in general

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Guys

So you guys know I love green

I have been pondering a project for next year, emerald earrings.

Now my issue is that my budget will only allow for something small and then haloed.

I am posting this link for inspiration. NOT buying these

https://www.bluenile.com/au/emerald...S0euUYwdvPSWAaAvQ9EALw_wcB&click_id=624181000

So this is what I will end up with after spending about $1500 in total I reckon.

Is it worth it? Is it too small? Should I just wear my green jade danglies/diamond studs and call it a day?

Speaking of jade for about $400 I can buy a pair like these

44585343_326860207894885_4637981582034993152_n.jpg
Do I abandon my teeny tiny emerald pipe dreams or is it worth pursing? Like is it more sensible to drop $400 at some point and buy a pair of big green jade studs so they look bigger on the ears?

Or is it a different beast altogether and teeny tiny emerald earrings ARE different so worth pursing?

Lol am I making sense?

Would love to hear any thoughts you guys have!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
451CBA99-67DB-4CFE-8D49-FE945C823102.jpeg
Well, there’s also green tourmaline and green garnet. For green earrings I have some sweet jade hearts that I’ve had since I was a little girl, and some teeny tiny emeralds I got on Loupe Troop. I love your inspiration pic but that would be out of my budget. So I don’t really know what to tell you, but I am really pleased with the richness of some of the emerald green tourmalines. Maybe that would give you your green fix until your savings accrue. But what matters is what sings to you.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @MissyBeaucoup

I feel like I can be talked in or out of things. Usually I forge ahead without seeking advice

I guess I am wondering if it is worth it at my budget as it is rather small on the ears......

But there is no way I would want to drop the kind of budget needed for giant stones on the ears.

And yes emeralds do thrill me. REALLY loving that budget friendly emerald ring I cooked up a few weeks ago. And my other emerald and my cheapie emerald necklace.

The studs seem so small though! Even in the inspiration pic they are small!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you should flip through emerald embassy, and also look at recent sales from yvonne ralley (maybe even ask if others can contribute their purchases here). This will give you an idea of the size of the earings.

I have seen several earing jackets come up for sale preloved, and you may be able to wait it out for a pair on loupetroop (I feel like it is the type of item that routinely turns up, but it may take a year or so to eventuate. I guess it also depends on how you feel about shipping the stuff internationally to Aussie.). Then you can mix and match. I dont think it is a matter of whether it can be done, just whether you want to wait a year or so to complete the project and how you will feel given the emeralds may only be 5-6 mm rounds.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I for one just don't like spending that much money on stuff that *I* can't see while I'm wearing. In your situation I'd stick with jade danglies and keep looking on LT until someone sells their emeralds. I don't think that small studs would be noticeable from across the room, and they would only be seen by those people who are close to you, like Pink Bandit and your 5/6yo kid.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you ladies!

I think @voce managed to voice what may have been spitting subconsciously around my head. I do LOVE danglies and I think the reason is that I can see/feel them easily to an extent.

I am wear my heart shaped ring facing me so I can see the heart the right way up so I am definitely the kind of girl who wears stuff to get a thrill from it myself.

Maybe on a one day list but probably not for now when there are so many other things I want!

hehe I did have a pair of emeralds I was eyeing!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should hold out and save for the piece(s) your heart really wants. Remember a deal is only a deal if you are getting exactly what you want...don't settle for less. Save up until you can get the dream emerald earrings. Whatever those might be.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny and sweet thing!

I showed the pair to the 6yo and he agreed they were a bit small. He pointed to a large emerald and said "Well can you look for 2 of these?"

Mummy: I don't have the budget for that hun. It's a lot to spend on earrings.

6yo: Well how much would you need for big earrings?

Mummy: *tells him amount*

6yo: *thinks and looks very serious* We could scrounge up enough money if I give you all the money I've collected since birth.

He's so sweet!

No I'm not taking his money!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny and sweet thing!

I showed the pair to the 6yo and he agreed they were a bit small. He pointed to a large emerald and said "Well can you look for 2 of these?"

Mummy: I don't have the budget for that hun. It's a lot to spend on earrings.

6yo: Well how much would you need for big earrings?

Mummy: *tells him amount*

6yo: *thinks and looks very serious* We could scrounge up enough money if I give you all the money I've collected since birth.

He's so sweet!

No I'm not taking his money!!!

Aww what a precious sweetheart. I might rethink "borrowing" his money for now (if it is enough for your dream earrings hehe) just because I am sure you will be repaying him and then some when it comes to his education...just saying.:cheeky:

And JK!!!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes @missy I feel super bad about the funds I spend on jewellery because I could be using that to build his inheritance.

But then I carry him 8 blocks on my back and I end up thinking to myself "You know what just for carrying you like this I deserve all the jewels!!!"

He's 20kgs, more than a metre long and does not like to walk! Sometimes I carry him to the park after school, in front of ALL his peers and I'm like "Have you no shame?" and his response is "No one would refuse to be carried if they could get their parents to do it."

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes @missy I feel super bad about the funds I spend on jewellery because I could be using that to build his inheritance.

But then I carry him 8 blocks on my back and I end up thinking to myself "You know what just for carrying you like this I deserve all the jewels!!!"

He's 20kgs, more than a metre long and does not like to walk! Sometimes I carry him to the park after school, in front of ALL his peers and I'm like "Have you no shame?" and his response is "No one would refuse to be carried if they could get their parents to do it."

LOL what a smartie pants.:P2

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Once mine were about that age I would tell my kids that I would carry them, but they then would have to carry me the same amount of times. My oldest thought about that deeply and decided he didn't want to do that. Now at 19 he could easily do so. I kinda wish he had taken me up on the deal!:lol:

megthered

Rough_Rock
I have my ears pierced with 4 holes on one side and three holes in the other (don't ask, stupid mistake). I have these earrings and wear them in the top hole. They stay in all the time and are comfortable. I don't wear the larger earrings and dangles drive me crazy.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, it is a lot of money for something so small.
I would consider other green gems such as Tourmalines and Garnets, and ask JD to cut a pair for me in a calibrated size if at all possible, and set them in a pair of settings from a trusted vendor.

My own green studs approximately 6mm in diameter for my earring jackets are synthetics as I did not wish to spend much money on them.

DK :))

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are 5mm stones and 9.5mm including halo.

They still feel small to me.

Anyone got any ear pics to post for perspective?

halo-diamond-and-emerald-earrings-in-14k-white-or-yellow-gold-5mm-13.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My near 1cttw studs, each earring is about 6mm, and the jackets are 12mm in diameter.
I have big fat earlobes.
studwithjacket.jpg

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For price comparison purposes, Embassy Emeralds currently has a pair of 0.66cttw for 330 USD, about 4.4/5mm in diameter.

The BN pair is slightly larger, let's make them 660 USD. This means the earring settings are about 1.2k USD for 32 diamonds totalling 0.19cttw!

If my conversion from AUD to USD is correct, then they are a pair of very expensive settings!

My jackets were about 1k USD about 10 years ago for 1cttw!

DK :eek2:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @dk168

Don't worry NO WAY will I be buying the Blue Nile ones! I have been trained by Pricescope too well for that! Sometimes I branch out with my eyes open but this is not that time!!!

So I rang my jewellers in Sydney and had a quick chat. I reckon I can get a halo pair of settings for $700 usd

So $700 plus $600 for emeralds say = $1300 for a pair......

I still wonder if it's worth it at that price considering the size.

I usually have tourmaline as my go to affordable stone but I am not feeling like they will live up as earrings unless they are huge which would increase costs anyway......

I dunno..............

Sorry thinking out loud while chopping tomatoes...............

voce

Ideal_Rock
My feeling is that Yvonne Raley can do earring settings for less than $700 if you go with one of her pre-existing designs. You'd have to source the emeralds through her, but she has had some quality emeralds in the past. Here's the link to see her earring designs and pricing for settings. https://www.cecileraleydesigns.com/pages/custom-earring-designs
I was thinking of the 8 petal earring jackets (page 8, $450 14k gold setting+mounting). I think the Penelope earrings with sidestones (page 10) are absolutely gorgeous, and they're what I'd personally go with if I got teeny tiny but saturated emeralds, but the halo sidestones are gonna cost, and the setting cost for that is $720 in 14k.

Last edited:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe you can ask Sparkle_ruckle about her's. It might give you a feel for the process, rough cost, (depending on what she is comfortable sharing) and size of the finished product from a certain viewing distance (I love catching sight of my earings in the mirror. But if you have a 40-50 cm deep sink then you should imagin that you effectively almost a meter away from the stones (unless you want a wet skirt) when you are viewing them. This doesnt perturb me, but I actually like smaller/less obtrusive pieces. What is important is how you feel about smaller but really bright stones. Also you should make sure everything looks good under bathroom lighting.).

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-raley-and-cecile-raley-designs.219561/page-9

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys! I think I will let this go for now! I just bought a jade ring! Plus I do love my danglies. I might wear my diamond studs around more and see how I feel! I do prefer danglies!

There was an awesome pair of emeralds I had my eyes on though!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys! I think I will let this go for now! I just bought a jade ring! Plus I do love my danglies. I might wear my diamond studs around more and see how I feel! I do prefer danglies!

There was an awesome pair of emeralds I had my eyes on though!

This is how I feel too and never wear any of my studs. I love the gentle swish and sway of a beautiful dangle and it is wise to take your time before you make an expensive purchase. Congrats on your new jade ring:appl:...pics pretty please?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay guys I am going to post the link for the pair I loved because I am letting go.

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...erald_Pair_0_81_tcw_-_GFTP-Gem.php?FromPage=1

I had a chat to Pink Bandit (who likes danglies only) and I realised if I was going to drop $1500 I may as well buy:

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...ian_Emerald_2_82_ct_-_GFTP-Gem.php?FromPage=1

and make a ring from it.

Why fluff around and spend that much on earrings I am unsure about.

Thank you for the pep talks! Sometimes one needs to start a thread to get my head in order!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don’t have a specific site recommendations, but I agree that you can go bigger for less.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Okay guys I am going to post the link for the pair I loved because I am letting go.

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...erald_Pair_0_81_tcw_-_GFTP-Gem.php?FromPage=1

I had a chat to Pink Bandit (who likes danglies only) and I realised if I was going to drop $1500 I may as well buy:

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...ian_Emerald_2_82_ct_-_GFTP-Gem.php?FromPage=1

and make a ring from it.

Why fluff around and spend that much on earrings I am unsure about.

Thank you for the pep talks! Sometimes one needs to start a thread to get my head in order!
Haha if I had the budget for both I'd use the pair as sidestones for the 2.82 ct center stone in a ring!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wish I had the budget. I love the color of those emeralds!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results