shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with assessing a diamond

davidd

Rough_Rock
I'm mostly concerned about the 36.5% crown angle.

Looking for experts' opinions/advise.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no expert ;-) but...

Nice clean clarity plot :)

Smaller table, higher crown, shorter lower girdle facets (75%) should give a lot of coloured fire.

It might be a touch steep on the crown angle but run it through the HCA tool under the Tools tab and check how it scores :)

Can you get an ASETscope image to help check for leakage and cut consistency?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm no expert ;-) but...

Nice clean clarity plot :)

Smaller table, higher crown, shorter lower girdle facets (75%) should give a lot of coloured fire.

It might be a touch steep on the crown angle but run it through the HCA tool under the Tools tab and check how it scores :)

Can you get an ASETscope image to help check for leakage and cut consistency?

HCA tool is telling me invalid measurements when I punch in the basic proportions data. OP, what are the physical size dimensions of the above stone?

Ss52

Shiny_Rock
E4FA2087-4BDF-4D07-8981-F1602DA927E6.png David, it doesn’t fall within AGS or GIA ideal categories. At diamondscreener.com you can input a stone’s numbers and see where it falls within the ideal category for each grader. AGS is more stringent grading. GIA cut grading is uncomfortably lax.

Hope this helps you.

davidd

Rough_Rock
HCA tool is telling me invalid measurements when I punch in the basic proportions data. OP, what are the physical size dimensions of the above stone?

The dimensions are: 7.28x7.32x4.55

davidd

Rough_Rock
E4FA2087-4BDF-4D07-8981-F1602DA927E6.png David, it doesn’t fall within AGS or GIA ideal categories. At diamondscreener.com you can input a stone’s numbers and see where it falls within the ideal category for each grader. AGS is more stringent grading. GIA cut grading is uncomfortably lax.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks. This is helpful.
What does it mean exactly? It seems fairly close to ideal and 36% would actually already be ideal. Does it mean the diamond will look lifeless or will i still look beautiful? It's not going to be in a ring, but on a pendant if it makes a difference.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
7CCD2BC7-333E-4561-9727-F18915B2C613.png

Pass from me.

Ss52

Shiny_Rock
Thanks. This is helpful.
What does it mean exactly? It seems fairly close to ideal and 36% would actually already be ideal. Does it mean the diamond will look lifeless or will i still look beautiful? It's not going to be in a ring, but on a pendant if it makes a difference.

It will still be pretty, but there are others better for your money. Would you like some suggestions? We LOVE to shop!

I can’t help with pendant vs. ring; above my pay grade .

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
7CCD2BC7-333E-4561-9727-F18915B2C613.png

Pass from me.
Garry H has said that the 2.0 score is not a hard cut-off, and that some stones up to mid-twos could still be a good choice, so I think this might be a judgement call that needs to be made with the stone in-hand :) (not forgetting to assess it in a wide range of lights, not just sparkly magic store lights ;-) lol)

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Garry H has said that the 2.0 score is not a hard cut-off, and that some stones up to mid-twos could still be a good choice, so I think this might be a judgement call that needs to be made with the stone in-hand :) (not forgetting to assess it in a wide range of lights, not just sparkly magic store lights ;-) lol)

Ran the numbers through gm89uk’s cut stats analyser is showing >50% likelihood of the CA being above 36.5 and almost 85% likelihood of the PA being sub 40.6.

Running CA of 36.7 and PA of 40.5 through HCA, it goes down to a 2 and proportions wise it’s out of GIA XXX range (GIA Very Good) but still within AGS Ideal using AGS’ proportions grading system. Very good scores for light return, fire, scintillation and spread.

If CA is 36.6 and PA 40.5, HCA is then 1.8 (AGS Ideal but GIA Very Good). Light return score improves to excellent with the others remaining at very good.

Looking at the video of it, it appears quite lifeless but when you look at it on side profile, it’s because the stone is tilted ever so slightly toward the camera which will definitely affect how it will look when looking at it face-on.

Agree that this stone might need to be looked at in-person (preferably at a jeweller that has access to Idealscope and/or ASET) under a variety of light sources.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good number analysis! :))

Ran the numbers through gm89uk’s cut stats analyser is showing >50% likelihood of the CA being above 36.5 and almost 85% likelihood of the PA being sub 40.6.

Running CA of 36.7 and PA of 40.5 through HCA, it goes down to a 2 and proportions wise it’s out of GIA XXX range (GIA Very Good) but still within AGS Ideal using AGS’ proportions grading system. Very good scores for light return, fire, scintillation and spread.

If CA is 36.6 and PA 40.5, HCA is then 1.8 (AGS Ideal but GIA Very Good). Light return score improves to excellent with the others remaining at very good.
I'm guessing we can't link to this on here?

(Did you mean Sledge's spreadsheet thingy??)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since the angles are a little out of the norm, it means you need an aset image or an idealscope image to check on light return (to see how well the angles
are working together). Ask the vendor if they can get you either of these images.

davidd

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys. You are really a great help. I'll ask for ASET

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good number analysis! :))

I'm guessing we can't link to this on here?

(Did you mean Sledge's spreadsheet thingy??)

Sledge’s spreadsheet wasn’t allowed to be posted on here.

I remember gm89uk posting this on here at least a year and a bit ago. Bookmarked it then.

http://gmsoft.somee.com/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results