shape
carat
color
clarity

Might buy this SI2....help please

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
IMG_6060.PNG https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD11957764

Hi! I've been looking for a few weeks online....lots of sites. Does this 3.10 I SI2 look like it will be eye clean? Not hazy/not milky? No interference with triple excellent brilliance and fire? Unbiased thoughts welcome please.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can't tell if it will be hazy/milky from a plot. I don't love the inclusions plot. Looks messy.

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much. Yes, I linked the video image also. At the top of my original post. Is it working?

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I gotta admit, I thought the diamond looked a lot better in the video than I thought it would from the inclusion plot, lol. I kind of doubt it will be eye-clean, but it may not be enough to bother you. As for the hazy/milky ... that’s what you need someone’s eyes for.

Personally, I just wouldn’t feel ok buying an SI diamond without seeing it first - or having it seen by someone I trust. This is not a small purchase, and the upgrade policy with BN is 2x your original ... in your case, that would be huge.

This one is a 60/60 style that will give you more white light return than color light return, but you’ll get excellent spread for the weight. This is a preference thing - 60/60 stones can still have great performance, depending on how the angles work together. I’m in the camp that prefers more fire, or at least more balance, so I would not choose a 60/60 for myself (now that I know better, lol).

Do you need to stick with BN? If so, I hope you keep an eye on that return period, just in case. Are you looking for suggestions? I’m guessing budget is around $25,000?

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your comments. Love the feedback. So I doubt I'll be upgrading in the future. Hoping to love the stone I pick forever. But BN has a 30 day return policy. Full refund or exchange. I have had several opinions on this stone. But non are unbiased. BN says it's not hazy or milky and that it is eye clean. Too my naked uneducated eye is what I think they are hoping. And another "expert" said it has reflecting twinning wisps that will interfere with light performance and will not be eye clean. Any more thoughts/opinions out there? I look forward to reading. Thanks!!

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
And I am open to suggestions and I'd like to know more about the 60/60 thing. I'm using advanced search options with the following details:
Table 54-60
Depth 59-63
Crown angle 33-35
Girdle 2.5-4
Girdle thin to thick.
These were recommended by a site called rare carat. If you have other suggestions, I'm very interested. Also, if you have sites you recommend for me to do diamond searches, please share. I paid the $9.99 on this site for the extras. Not sure what that will help me with yet. Just joined.

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
I'm looking for a 3+ carat round, I or better, SI2 or better (would love better). Excellent cut, 9mm+, I am torn on fluorescence (would love opinions on that!!), budget is $28,000.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest sticking with 60-62.4 for depth, and 34-35 for crown angle. You don't need the girdle specifications. Search only for stones with HCA of "excellent", which is a search option on the PS search tool.

I don't think I would personally buy that stone without someone inspecting it. And BN likely doesn't have it in house.

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
Thank you. BN does not have it in house but claim the vault manager has inspected it to answer my specific questions. Couple of other questions for you all. Do you think the diamond origin, say Botswana, makes a bit of difference? Also, what does HCA stand for?

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
Well, I'm also considering a 3 carat GIA J VS1 stone. Ideal cut. I have seen I colored 3 carat stones in person but not a 3 carat J. Thoughts on GIA graded J stones with the specs I mentioned? Thank you in advance to you diamond gurus who feel like chatting.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I'm also considering a 3 carat GIA J VS1 stone. Ideal cut. I have seen I colored 3 carat stones in person but not a 3 carat J. Thoughts on GIA graded J stones with the specs I mentioned? Thank you in advance to you diamond gurus who feel like chatting.
What does ideal cut mean in this case?

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
The top report. 3.06 J VS1

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
I'd appreciate your thoughts on the cut and the color pretty please. I really need educated, experienced opinions.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The top report. 3.06 J VS1
That one isn't what we would consider an ideal cut. The angles don't work together very well (35 and 41 aren't complimentary). If you look at the HCA calculator (under tools) and enter numbers, it will tell you what is likely to be a good performing stone vs not. Anything under 2 = potentially good, anything over 2 = reject. this one is 2.4

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's tough to find what you want in the parameters you specified. In this situation I would call USA Certed diamonds or ID Jewelry. They are the best ones to find "unicorn" diamonds that will work on a budget for the given specifications. I found some K color options, but if you want to stick with J I can't find anything.

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!! I'll take a look.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!! I'll take a look.
I would call them, since USA Certed doesn't have any pics online, and IDJ's website isn't up to date ever.

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
Interestingly, I entered some numbers on various stones I've been looking at. Several came back poor. But the first stone I wrote about, the 3.10 I SI2 came back with a HCA score of 1. if I entered numbers correctly: Depth 60.1
Table 59
Crown angle 34
Pav angle 40.6

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interestingly, I entered some numbers on various stones I've been looking at. Several came back poor. But the first stone I wrote about, the 3.10 I SI2 came back with a HCA score of 1. if I entered numbers correctly: Depth 60.1
Table 59
Crown angle 34
Wav angle 40.6
Yeah, that one has better proportions, but the inclusions are concerning IMHO.

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure that BN stone would be eye clean enough with zero transparency issues. This looks like a very good option if you want to stick to I color. Dropping to J would open up more options in your budget:
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R301-6291Z9507?

This one you recommended has a good HCA score; 1.9. And it's I. Which I like. And it's in budget!! I see some dark crystals but they are sorta hard to see, I think maybe because the excellent cut is hiding them. Can y'all take a look? More eyes? Eye clean in person?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can anyone else get USA certified diamond website to work? I know he was moving to a new site

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one you recommended has a good HCA score; 1.9. And it's I. Which I like. And it's in budget!! I see some dark crystals but they are sorta hard to see, I think maybe because the excellent cut is hiding them. Can y'all take a look? More eyes? Eye clean in person?

Remember the video you are looking at is super magnified. I would ask the vendor to assess the inclusions as well as put the stone on hold!

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
Yes. I have spoken to them. It is on hold. In process for wire transfer!! Cutter/supplier says the brillance is excellent and it is eye clean. I'm so excited. I hope it is a beautiful stone when it arrives (or I'll send it back).

Thank you for recommending it!! And helping me figure out the HCA score on diamonds. I barely know a thing about asset images but from what I have read, the asset image looks good on this stone too.

Way to help a picky rookie!!!!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I have spoken to them. It is on hold. In process for wire transfer!! Cutter/supplier says the brillance is excellent and it is eye clean. I'm so excited. I hope it is a beautiful stone when it arrives (or I'll send it back).

Thank you for recommending it!! And helping me figure out the HCA score on diamonds. I barely know a thing about asset images but from what I have read, the asset image looks good on this stone too.

Way to help a picky rookie!!!!

Exciting! I hope you love it! :dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results