shape
carat
color
clarity

Lil' Emerald Cab- Thoughts

Should I get this cab as my first starter stone to emerald?

• Not a great/amazing deal but priced accordingly, still pretty though!

• Priced way too high/I wouldn't get it.

• I think its lovely and fairly priced, you go girl!

Results are only viewable after voting.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Hello Everyone!
Its been a bit since ive created a thread myself but as some of you have noticed I'm running around like a chicken with their head cut off. For some reason every year from August to October, I go gemstone/ring crazy and purchase everything in sight....so it feels like. Haha

Anyways, I'm thinking about purchasing this little emerald cabochon.
Shes a little glow-ish blue/green girl at 7 mm round and 1.32 ct. To me for an emerald cab it has great clarity so I was shocked that the seller only said this about treatment: "It has been exposed to oil, but it would be minor oil if there is any in it at all."
I'm new to emeralds but ive admired them for a long long time.
The seller is asking $120 for this lovely, originally $200.
icm_fullxfull.176093717_es4nrfkaovwc8cggksk4.jpg icm_fullxfull.171853008_p6hdcy2126so444o88cs.jpg

Thoughts? Opinions?

Also if you have nothing to say but have an emerald cabochon ring that you dont mind sharing please post pics below!
If purchased they would only help give me some inspiration for setting this cab.
(:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is a pretty cab and the price seems fair to me. That said, I don’t consider it great clarity for an emerald cab. Good clarity would let you look into the stone. To me. it’s more like a translucent chalcedony. It has a little dark inclusion on top which also brings down the price, I think. The color is lovely and it clearly speaks to you, so I vote aye!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@peacechick
I think I used the word "great" because so far all of the emeralds that arent under 5mm (that are in my pricerange) have been heavily included so when a trusted seller presented me with this little hidden one I felt like the clarity was so much better than the many others I had looked at.
Although, I didn't expect to have something that was impeccably perfect and overall I love knowing what I'm looking at and how it compares to the actual prices/quality of the standards out there.
It helps me rationalize the purchase or weigh my options.
Oh and that little black hair...I wondered if thats in the stone as like a little tourmaline inclusion or if its just a hair on the convex side of the cab or even on the back of it. Something to note and ask the seller about!
Thanks for your reply ! (:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its nice. There are reasons why I never got an emerald because the ones I like are well outside my budget!! For my personal tastes its a bit on the light/non neon side. the inclusion...welll I don't know what that is either! I'd ask though because you're right, could be another gemstone and how cool is that?

On the price. if you love everything about it, I'd keep it in mind, but I'd also keep an eye out for something else. sometimes things just pop up. Its a wee bit high IMO.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I think it's pretty!
Have you seen it in person?
I think at that price point it doesn't hurt getting it in to see.

Here's my emerald cab loose and set. I bought it preloved.
IMG_1032.JPG heart.jpg heart4.jpg You_Doodle_2018-09-21T13_00_57Z.jpg

Ooooof my heart! That is stunning! I cant handle the gorgeousness....as I scrolled the setting just compliments the cab perfectly...lovely!
I love bluish green emeralds and how unique to have found a heart shaped em (:

Thank you for the details as it helps to make a price/quality comparison!

So far it looks like the price isn't out of the ordinary at all but is fair for the round cab.
The seller has a great return policy so I think ill at least see it in person!

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
It's so cute. I don't know much about emerald pricing but I think it's low. I paid $270 for a similar one. Probably paid too much.

S

SparkliesLuver

I second your thoughts on seeing it in person if the seller has a solid return policy. The price seems fine, so let's see if you love it in person!

passions4purples

Rough_Rock
I love cabs just as much as faceted stones, and this is my favorite variation of green, so I think it's stunning. I'd definitely take a closer look.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
So some good news!
The little black "inclusion" was actually just a piece of hair/dust/string.

So while a little black tourmaline inside of the emerald would have been neat, I'm glad its not and its a little more clear (:

Thanks for everyone's replies! I'm gonna purchase the stone to see it for myself.
:kiss2::P2

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone!!!

I have one question for this specific cabochon!

I'm looking to purchase a 14k ring setting for this stone that has many prongs if you will call it and it looks like a crown, but the only size that I can find for it is 8mm and my emerald is 7mm, would I be able to set it without it looking odd?
Crown settings are also very easy to set but ive always used the correct dimensions!

Please let me know!

Here's a photo of what a crown ring setting looks like:

Screenshot_2018-10-18-07-19-04~2.png

Thanks!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone!!!

I'm looking to purchase a 14k ring setting for this stone that has many prongs if you will call it and it looks like a crown, but the only size that I can find for it is 8mm and my emerald is 7mm, would I be able to set it without it looking odd?
Crown settings are also very easy to set but ive always used the correct dimensions!

Please let me know!

Thanks!

Love this setting but I think .5 mm is the variation most jewelers can handle. The stone is lovely and you should be able to find a premade 7 mm setting. Good luck!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Love this setting but I think .5 mm is the variation most jewelers can handle. The stone is lovely and you should be able to find a premade 7 mm setting. Good luck!

Thank you but oddly its proving incredibly difficult to find a 7mm 14k (yellow or white) setting that is made for a cabochon and is in my price range. I only want to spend what the stone cost so $120-150.

I found a 14k white gold 3.3 g setting that looks to be exactly 7mm (they put a ruler in their photo) and its in my price range. I just want to double check. Fingers crossed!

I also would be setting this myself(: I have set two solid gold rings so far and a gazillion sterling silver. I truly enjoy doing it myself.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone!!!

Please let me know!

Thanks!

Post your stone! I wanna see!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The emerald cab is so pretty!
The crown-like setting is really nice, but I wouldn't spend on it because of the size difference. An 8mm setting and a 7mm stone just won't work, in my opinion.
The prongs will fold down too much, and of course you will have a gap inside the head which is not going to work out.
Hopefully, the second setting you mentioned will work out!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Anyone have any recommendations for settings for this 7mm emerald cabochon that is $200 or less?

Also I dont want any settings that would need modifications to set the emerald; just a premade-ready-to-set mounting.

White/Rose/Yellow- Doesnt matter!
Also 10k is accepted but 14k preferred.

I was so set on the 14k gold crown setting and was going to do a 14k white gold crown with a yellow gold band but it sounds like the 1mm difference would be too much. :'(
I know cabochons are different to other cuts so I was thinking it wouldnt look off but trust everyone's opinion, especially you @stracci2000 !

(: thanks!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone have any recommendations for settings for this 7mm emerald cabochon that is $200 or less?

Also I dont want any settings that would need modifications to set the emerald; just a premade-ready-to-set mounting.

White/Rose/Yellow- Doesnt matter!
Also 10k is accepted but 14k preferred.

I was so set on the 14k gold crown setting and was going to do a 14k white gold crown with a yellow gold band but it sounds like the 1mm difference would be too much. :'(
I know cabochons are different to other cuts so I was thinking it wouldnt look off but trust everyone's opinion, especially you @stracci2000 !

(: thanks!
Here are some ideas for 14k settings, and I'm sure you can easily set the stone yourself.
I't's such a nice cab!
https://www.topakomercantile.com/cat288.html

Edit, I just noticed these are all for oval stones.....I''ll keep looking!

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TheGarnetGirl , it's gonna be hard to find a setting online because that stone is 7mm, which seems to be an odd size. I looked at Rio Grande, and they have some nice settings, but none for a 7mm.
Here are some can settings that I made from sterling.
The iolite ring was my rendition of a Pomellato style.
I couldn't afford the real thing, so I had to make my own.
You may have to rely on your silversmith to come up with a custom setting.
IMG_20181219_134530515.jpg IMG_20181219_134528436.jpg IMG_20181219_134440750.jpg

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@TheGarnetGirl , it's gonna be hard to find a setting online because that stone is 7mm, which seems to be an odd size. I looked at Rio Grande, and they have some nice settings, but none for a 7mm.
IMG_20181219_134530515.jpg IMG_20181219_134528436.jpg IMG_20181219_134440750.jpg

So I feel like ive looked everywhere and for whatever reason a 7mm solid gold premade ring setting for a cabochon is impossible to find.

I even looked on ebay/etsy for vintage gold cab rings that i could maneuver myself and spent time messaging sellers and asking if they could get the approx. mm size of the stone. The stones were either all 6mm or the ones that were 7mm I found myself comprimising on my taste in settings just to have ONE option; they werent pretty.

I also thought about having my silversmith make it in ss with gold claws but my gut is just wanting all gold for this cabochon.
Also this is weird but:
I have a special wooden jewelry box thats velvet lined and on the bigger top tier I put my favorite silver gemstone rings (also if theyre silver with solid gold accents they go on the silver tier) and on the bottom is the only place where i house all of my gold gemstone/diamond rings and i just really imagine the bright green/blue emerald brightening up the gold tray haha
Yes I am particular about organization...

Ive thought about contacting a goldsmith about making a home for my Emmy but it would no doubt be more than 300 which i can't (shouldnt...) Spend.

I Also love the feeling of making a ring by yourself, well, setting it and feeling proud in that it looks great!

I'm very tempted to purchase the 8mm crown setting as I drew out 7mm and then 8mm around it and its a small measurement on each side and it doesnt help that the seller thinks that if its a 1mm difference or less that it's be fine and wouldnt look odd.

The only caviat thats stopping me is that once she makes me that ring blank in my size....no returning it :(
And I no doubt have another cabochon to put into it but id rather save the money towards fabricating a piece if the emmy doesnt fit.

Thinking out loud.

Anybody know a goldsmith/jeweler thats on the lower price spectrum to just bezel set the emerald?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock

Also I forgot to say....agh that iolite is a stunning piece. Something so gemmy and juicy about the shape and fat little gem (:

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
:confused: Does anyone know if janishjewels still takes customer stones? She does have great cabochon pieces.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You might try also searching for an inexpensive 7mm cab ring that you can pull the existing stone out of and replace yours in it! Just a thought.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
You might try also searching for an inexpensive 7mm cab ring that you can pull the existing stone out of and replace yours in it! Just a thought.

If you read my above reply to stracci you can see that Ive already gone down that route.
Sadly natha... :/

I'm going to look through my favorited etsy sellers and see if anyone comes up. Janish is a great option and one ill look into thanks!
And Also @Rfisher ill look into Daniel and keep that info in the back of my mind. Thanks!

And to those of you who are casting votes currently, theres no need to as I decided and purchased it within a day of the poll. Ive had the gem for months now. Lol (;
If anybody knows how to close the poll let me know.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Post your stone! I wanna see!

I finally got around to taking some snaps of it!! It turns out that the little black "hair" WAS a little black tourmaline inclusion.
I think the seller was busy and misinterpreted my question.
Nevertheless, despite the "flaw", I see it as the gemstone having some personality, as well as having its own little black tourmaline gemstone baby to coddle. Yes im strange, I know this :roll2:
Also it hardly has many inclusions so it looks kinda neat in my humble opinion, like a pool with a little tourmaline wand.
I'm pretty pleased with it and as you all know, want to set it straight away (hoping to get it set within a month.)
The seller was super sweet and was one day off target for shipping so he sent me another 7mm emerald which is less saturated.
He doesnt think they both have any oil but if they do only a smidgen.
Im not sure what im going to do with the other yet.
Maybe a silver ring with it? Or a matching 14k little pendant?

**And for whatever reason the photos are unedited whatsoever but my phones camera was off in color for my granite and hands...although the color of both emeralds is exact and what I see in person. I think it did this because right when I had them in hand in my dark bedroom I walked into my super bright vanity and closet and I think my camera adjusted oddly. Maybe everyone should do this when photographing emeralds?! Haha
20181222_115111_HDR~2.jpg 20181222_115030~2.jpg
20181222_113704_HDR.jpg 20181222_113640~2.jpg

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those emeralds are really pretty.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
They are both very cute and I barely notice the hair. Since you have two, what about making a cuff bangle with them?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
They are both very cute and I barely notice the hair. Since you have two, what about making a cuff bangle with them?

Thank you (: I would do something with both but one has noticeably finer saturation and I don't wear bracelets.
My jewelry collection is probably 90% rings and then the other 10% is split between necklaces and earrings.
I'm not sure why, although I'm sure it started as a girl, but I never got used to the feeling of a metal bracelet on my wrist.
I can do leather or hair ties lol but any metal feels weird and feels like I'm going to hit someone or fall off. Lol
Any bracelet wearing day starts out with good intention and then gets put into my purse after 20 minutes.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
The seller agreed to make a 7mm crown/gallery setting!!!

Yay! I was saddened that the 8mm wouldnt work because just imagining my emerald in it with the little crown bezel seemed perfect.

At first I thought to do a 14k white gold crown and a 14k yellow gold band but the more I looked at the emerald with white and yellow the more I saw it; how the yellow gold actually made my cabochon come alive and glow.

So its settled, (well for this cabochon), 14k yellow gold blank is purchased and will take about 2 weeks for her to get the materials in to custom make the 7mm bezel.
Will post photos after I get it and set it myself (:
Eeeep!
This is probably the "highest stakes" setting job for me even though the whole ring is under $340.
Wish me luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results