shape
carat
color
clarity

Interesting inclusions

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t recall a thread on this, but thought it’d be fun to see some of the interesting inclusions people come across in looking at various diamonds.

Have you come across any interesting inclusions in your various diamond searches or does your diamond have one? Please post pics if you have them. :wavey:

I stumbled upon this one, which looks almost like the Playboy bunny. I could almost appreciate this inclusion as a unique and humorous identifying birthmark. :lol:

5637A175-438F-4DF5-81C6-409104BF692F.jpeg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another that reminds me of a swan ... or a snake.
2228F992-8838-4489-977D-E7AACE863636.jpeg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see a Carolina Panther in this one.
015B7F47-9473-4BBC-A119-490F5CD18487.jpeg DFAD798C-76DD-4CFA-8774-867856317488.jpeg

Yes, it’s a slow morning here as we await the snow storm of the century. :lol:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure there was a similar thread on this subject I was reading the other week - I remember because I think one of the inclusions posted was a man pushing a lawnmower??! lol

There is a diamond at the Natural History Museum (I think?) in London that I saw, which had a red stone included within the diamond - that was pretty awesome :)

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think this was in the other thread too but this is a garnet heart in a diamond:roll2:

https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/winter-2015-microworld-red-heart-inclusion-diamond
W15-MW-Figure-2_194283-636x423.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure there was a similar thread on this subject I was reading the other week - I remember because I think one of the inclusions posted was a man pushing a lawnmower??! lol

There is a diamond at the Natural History Museum (I think?) in London that I saw, which had a red stone included within the diamond - that was pretty awesome :)

A man pushing a lawnmower?!!! Cool LOL
A diamond ring that I sold a few years back had what I was calling a ruby inclusion, now reading here, I think it was probably a garnet.
Good thread a_m_t. Are you snowed in yet??? ; )

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Inclusions are like snowflakes - no two are identical!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For your interest:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrFuDNCnGcO/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=q1asw9j9pcf2

The magnified views at @jamesallenrings are a beautiful gallery of inclusions; possibly unintended.

Love the Hughes' work with photomicrography, and everything Lotus Lab puts out. Definitely follow Louts Lab if you're interested in photos of inclusions. Also, if you want to see some absolutely stunning shots of inclusions in book format, pick up "Ruby and Sapphire: A Gemologist's Guide" from Richard Hughes. I swear it is one of the most informative books to ever be written on a single subject, and the photomicrography throughout is simply breathtaking.

IMO inclusions in colored stones, particularly conundrum, are much more facinating than diamond inclusions. But there are some pretty cool inclusions to be found in diamonds as well. For a more general overview of inclusions in all varieties of gemstones (including diamonds), check out the Photoatlas of Inclusions in Gemstones by Gübelin. I don't have a copy of these myself, but most in the field agree that they are the "bible" of gemstone inclusions. Would like to get my hands on them one day. :)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@TreeScientist I know of these. I am affraid that it was Ruby&Sapphire that got to me in the first place - and it is such an outlier of a book! I wonder what R Hughes @rubydick makes of it now, since his latest writing is much more heavily decorative (Terra Spinel).

I keep hearing of great collections of older books on precious stuffs (@Sagebrush), but this is not my turf at all...

I have not yet seen anything of the magnitude of either the Photoatlas or of Ruby & Sapphire, for diamonds: it seems to be a different world, where all that is ever on display are the grades, the price & the crown jewels.

_______
Digressing:
The nicest surprise I came accross from such library forraging is a book worth reading, but almost never read WWW. The man is simply wildly right... which got me interested enough to check the claims (OK), and ask around if more can be done now (No)

Last edited:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the idea of seeing cool inclusions. I’ve always wanted a diamond with a red garnet inside. I don’t have any to share.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good thread a_m_t. Are you snowed in yet??? ; )
:wavey: When we woke up this morning, we were ... and expect to be to,orrow as well. We got about 7" here. How did you make out?

Here is an article that shows some interesting inclusions:
https://4cs.gia.edu/en-us/blog/scope-unique-diamond-inclusions/
VERY cool! If I found a diamond that had a cool inclusion like those, I’d buy it and carry a loupe with me to show it off. But I am an oddball. :mrgreen2:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@TreeScientist I know of these. I am affraid that it was Ruby&Sapphire that got to me in the first place - and it is such an outlier of a book! I wonder what R Hughes @rubydick makes of it now, since his latest writing is much more heavily decorative (Terra Spinel).

I keep hearing of great collections of older books on precious stuffs (@Sagebrush), but this is not my turf at all...

I have not yet seen anything of the magnitude of either the Photoatlas or of Ruby & Sapphire, for diamonds: it seems to be a different world, where all that is ever on display are the grades, the price & the crown jewels.

Actually, Terra Spinel is not his latest work. I believe the R&S you're referring to is the 1997 version. R&S: A Gemologist's Guide was published in 2017, and it is a greatly expanded upon version of that original work. This latest version has a ton of new photomicrography by his daughter, who was the photographer of that image you posted from instagram. :) Definitely check it out if you have not done so already.

As for the topic of the original thread, interesting inclusions in diamonds, I think that graining can create some really fascinating patterns and reflections within diamond crystals. Sort of like rutile silk in fine sapphires. One example of graining adding to the beauty of a diamond is this stone that is currently listed on Love Affair Diamonds:
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-92ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-e-vs1/

From the still photos, you can see that the graining looks to be causing a bit of a sleepy appearance. But take a look at the videos of this stone in diffuse (shaded) sunlight. It looks like a kaleidoscope! I know that OECs are known for the broad flashes of color, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the color in this particular diamond is due to interesting reflection patterns caused by the graining. A really unique stone for sure. :)

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
example of graining

This is not subtle www - polish features must follow internal, and there is plenty of both. I intended to link a step cut with nicer pattern, but it is no longer there. Pink diamonds have this extra attraction of extremely marked grain & they do get shown despite such. This one is not the most beautiful or outrageous, just first on the list today.

Starting the week... - not what I'd rather do, now that I saw the publications list at Lotus!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: When we woke up this morning, we were ... and expect to be to,orrow as well. We got about 7" here. How did you make out?

VERY cool! If I found a diamond that had a cool inclusion like those, I’d buy it and carry a loupe with me to show it off. But I am an oddball. :mrgreen2:

Just tried to get out, saw cars in the ditch; main roads not clear. Turned around after a mile and came back home...and I’m used to driving in Bufflao. Not a good day out there. I think by tomorrow afternoon it will be OK. Fingrers crossed. Stay safe.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'll gladly join the "I love weird imperfections in diamonds" group!
First one that sprang to mind is .....
fish-eye.jpg
Old "fish Eye"
If it wasn't weird enough to cut a diamond in the shape of a fish, this one had a carbon crystal pretty much exactly where you'd put it, if you had a little sharpie.

Please be careful out there in the snow guys!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results