shape
carat
color
clarity

Help on my diamond search (1.4ct+ super ideal)

McDuck

Rough_Rock
Hi folks, I’m hoping this great community can help me find the right diamond for my special woman. Does anyone know of any good deals for the following diamond?

Shape: Round
Cut: Super ideal
Color: H
Clarity: VS2 or S1 (eye clean)
Carat: 1.4-1.7

Thank you!

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Hi folks, I’m hoping this great community can help me find the right diamond for my special woman. Does anyone know of any good deals for the following diamond?

Shape: Round
Cut: Super ideal
Color: H
Clarity: VS2 or S1 (eye clean)
Carat: 1.4-1.7

Thank you!

What is your budget?

McDuck

Rough_Rock
I am targeting $12,000 - $16,000.

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1.538 has short LGFs (75%), quite a high crown (34.9degrees) and a smaller table (54.8%) so should be super-fiery. The inclusions are under the crown facets and the table is clean, so it should look very clean.

The 1.618 has more visible inclusions to my eye (but I am a clarity-whore :razz: ) but also has a small table (54.4%) so should give good fire.

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock

The 1.618 looks good. Need to request hearts and arrow images for the 1.538. If you would ever consider upgrading the diamond I would recommend the other vendors above. JA requires you spend double vs WF and HPD is spend $1 more with full credit of purchase price. HPD also has a 80% buyback program. BGD you need to upgrade two Cs.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
James Allen doesn’t really offer super ideal diamonds because they don’t specialize in branded cuts. If you want a super ideal you will need to look at Whiteflash, high performance diamonds (CBI), Brian Gavin, Victor Canera. There has been some of the diamonds end up in general population but it’s rare

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed that if you want a super ideal, stick with HPD, WF, BGD, VC. They are the ones offering super ideals (branded) cuts, whereas JA isn't. Plus, Ive always felt like the true hearts line is overpriced. You could get a super ideal stone with all the awesome customer service and upgrade policies for the price of a true hearts stone.

McDuck

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for your helpful replies - I’ve requested the hearts and arrows images from JA for the 1.538 H VS2.

Pardon my ignorance, but putting customer service & upgrade policies aside and focusing exclusively on the stone’s properties...if the geometry and ASET/Ideal scope images of a JA diamond is comparable to one from (WF, HPD, BGD, VC), does this not meet super ideal standards? What difference am I missing that a discerning buyer can tell (assuming they do not know the source)?

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all for your helpful replies - I’ve requested the hearts and arrows images from JA for the 1.538 H VS2.

Pardon my ignorance, but putting customer service & upgrade policies aside and focusing exclusively on the stone’s properties...if the geometry and ASET/Ideal scope images of a JA diamond is comparable to one from (WF, HPD, BGD, VC), does this not meet super ideal standards? What difference am I missing that a discerning buyer can tell (assuming they do not know the source)?

There is no standard definition of a super ideal diamond. Each brand has their own definition. There is a discussion of what is a PS super ideal here:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...f-a-pricescope-super-ideal-cut-diamond.20355/

Total Depth between 59 – 61.8% (only effects the diameter of the stone)
Table Diameter between 53 – 57% (least critical factor)
Crown Angle between 34.3 – 34.8 degrees
Pavilion Angle between 40.6 – 40.9 degrees
Girdle: prefer 0.7% thin up to 1.8% medium, faceted
Culet: GIA none or AGS pointed (same thing, different terms)
Polish: GIA Excellent / AGS Ideal (the highest from each lab)
Symmetry: GIA Excellent / AGS Ideal (the highest from each lab)

WF ACA:
https://www.whiteflash.com/a-cut-above-diamonds-specifications-and-qualifications/

The JA True Hearts brand is hit and miss. Some of the stones found within this brand are not true H&A stones. IMO this devalues the brand as a whole. The two stones you linked above are a good representation of what the JA True Hearts brand should be.

While the stones within the True Hearts brand do have what most would consider to be super ideal proportions, I would not consider JA True Hearts to be a super ideal brand. Some of the stones are not consistent in their cut symmetry (especially the H&A views) for me to give the brand a super ideal label.

These details are a mind clean issue and will not have a obvious impact on the stones performance.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are real differences between the stones PS considers super-ideal (brands listed above) and something like JA True Hearts or others that "claim" super-ideal. Stones that PS support have documented their cutting and methods, parameters of acceptable ranges, and can prove their performance through images and certification. They are cut to very very tight parameters and with the highest levels of precision and polishing. This last stage alone, polishing, is like the difference between a drive-through car-wash with a hand-dried vs. a hand-applied and polished wax finish. Given a well-cut ideal and a super-ideal in hand, I've rarely found someone unable to see the difference when they have both in hand. Its a fun party game...

Compared to the JA stone, I'll take this one from WF. You then get all those benefits of upgrade and customer service.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4042791.htm

But, I'd also take a size bump and go for something like this. https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4047012.htm

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
How are you planning to set the stone? Is that included in your budget?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results