shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide best way to liquidate these rings?!

GemNewbie760

Rough_Rock
:)) Hello !!

I’m a newbie here, and I don’t know really where to start in my quest to liquidate or unload these two diamond rings.
I’ve been pouring over the site here, and it’s amazing how much info and resources are available!
Hopefully someone could point me in the right direction or weigh in and suggest a course of action...

————————————————————
:arrow:
Ring #1)
•14k White Gold
14 x 0.8ct GVS Princess Cut, [2 rows, 7 diamonds each]
————
2.52ct Total in diamonds,
•10.5 grams white gold
199F3E16-0409-4BC7-8E35-81C53530069D.jpeg
————————————————————
Ring #2)
•14k White Gold
One round cut 0.75ct, GVS1
Two (x2) round cut 0.25ct, GVS1
Fifteen (chip? Melee?) small side diamonds combined total: 0.75ct [one stone missing out of 16]
Ten 0.08ct Round cut Rubies
————
2.0ct Total in Diamonds
•11.8 grams White Gold
3C994293-4E53-4D47-B567-53241971F226.jpeg
————————————————————-

Basically I want to sell them for the best price — and what I’m trying to figure out by posting here is:
• Do I try to sell the rings as they are, or would it be more beneficial (and potentially more lucrative) to take the stones out and try to sell them separately, apart from the gold? — and if so, any suggestions on where I might take the stones to get a fair price?
• And if it’s suggested they remain intact, then where does one go to sell something like that? (eBay? Craigslist?? A pawn shop? A jewelry buyer?)

The rings were cobbled together from other very old jewelry. I don’t have a certificate for any of them, only the jewelers appraisal form, from the jeweler that created them, which is a bit hard to read without zooming in) but I’ll attach below:
FE9DBD1A-3E20-45A2-A1AC-089C140ECBDE.jpeg

Any input would be welcome and greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance for having a look!!
=)2

Bryce

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, first, I hope you realize that appraisals like that are usually highly inflated. So you wouldn't be looking at anything like that for your selling price.

Basically you have a couple of choices. You can list them on ebay, loupetroop, or diamondbistro and try to sell them. I don't think it is safe to sell jewelry on Craigslist.

Or, you can go to a few jewelers and ask what they would give you for them. They'd likely scrap the settings and either sell or make something else with the stones. But I don't think it's worth your while to separate the stones from the settings as I think you'd have trouble selling loose stones yourself. I'd go to the jewelers first. That way you know what your minimum should be if you try to sell them yourself.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
never go to a pawn shop. - never- they will offer you basically nothing - seriously!

I would try a consignment with your local jeweler or loupe troupe or diamond bistro.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second ring with the rubies is quite beautiful! Maybe see if an antique dealer would consign it?

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I agree finding a local jeweller to sell them on consignment would be the best strategy. If there is no one like that and you don’t feel confident selling them yourself, The Real Real could be an option as they offer consignment of jewelry (you get 70% of what they sell it for). I consider TRR as quite realistic in the prices they set (they compete in the field of second hand luxury against other consigners like Fashionphile, but don’t limit themselves to bags).

You can read up here:
https://www.therealreal.com/consign

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second trying the real real.

GemNewbie760

Rough_Rock
Well, first, I hope you realize that appraisals like that are usually highly inflated. So you wouldn't be looking at anything like that for your selling price.

Basically you have a couple of choices. You can list them on ebay, loupetroop, or diamondbistro and try to sell them. I don't think it is safe to sell jewelry on Craigslist.

Or, you can go to a few jewelers and ask what they would give you for them. They'd likely scrap the settings and either sell or make something else with the stones. But I don't think it's worth your while to separate the stones from the settings as I think you'd have trouble selling loose stones yourself. I'd go to the jewelers first. That way you know what your minimum should be if you try to sell them yourself.

:D
Thanks so much for the detailed reply - yes, I do realize the appraisal tended toward the high side, and I kind of figured it was for insurance purposes. I totally agree with you regarding Craigslist for jewelry!! They’re great, but for diamonds, not so much.
The other sites I’ve never heard of, so I’ll check them out - and going to a jeweler to get the ball rolling makes perfect sense to me!
I appreciate the advice, Thanks so much!

GemNewbie760

Rough_Rock
I agree finding a local jeweller to sell them on consignment would be the best strategy. If there is no one like that and you don’t feel confident selling them yourself, The Real Real could be an option as they offer consignment of jewelry (you get 70% of what they sell it for). I consider TRR as quite realistic in the prices they set (they compete in the field of second hand luxury against other consigners like Fashionphile, but don’t limit themselves to bags).

You can read up here:
https://www.therealreal.com/consign

Awesome, THANK YOU!
I’ll check it out!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
As a follow on from the OPs question, at what level of value / antiquity would it be worth going to an auction house to sell jewellery? I was under the impression of you have a valuable item (say over USD 15k) an auction may offer best value. Am I mistaken?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results